The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I recently purchased a Dagaz super dome sapphire conversion kit with midnight blue insert for my SKX009. I need to get a crystal remover/installer in order to complete my mod.

Can anyone recommend the best, most easy to use, and effective crystal remover/installer for a beginner? Keep in mind, I've never attempted to remove or install any crystals on watches before.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I think I spend $30 bucks for a simple bench press that came with 15 nylon double sided inserts. I have not had a single problem yet. Now if the dome on the crystal you are trying to remove is super high it can be a problem with standard inserts because they are not deep enough. John made up some extra deep ones a while ago I think. If you are only removing a standard crystal then a inexpensive bench press will do just fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Killsnapz. The crystal I am removing would be a flat one. But the one I would be installing is a double dome sapphire crystal.

So I guess going for the starter type press would work okay.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Grab the starter kit one first, i have one from the bay, cost about a tenner, its not a bergeon but i use it with care and go slow and its lasted well over a year now with regular use.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
sounds great...good quality tools dont need to cost huge money

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Some of cheap ones with nylon dies are poorly made - the dies don't screw on straight and so they don't close evenly in operation. It's important for the press to apply pressure evenly all round the bezel when fitting. My preference is for metal dies, but it's a personal thing, though they don't necessarily cost much more than the nylon versions.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
wow Sam i had no idea the nylon ones were like that....the metal ones will not damage anything?..how do you protect the case and crystal for any contact?...well i have been needing a good press...i will look for one with metal dies...thank you for the great info...this is why i love this place...God Bless John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts