The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coinciding with the great mans 100th birthday, the EOT (Equation Of Time) Dive watch forum shows pictures, apparently of Jacques Cousteau wearing what looks convincingly like a Seiko cushion-case diver, from the dial markings, straight vent strap etc probably a 6309/6306-704* diver! Does anyone have other pictures or filmclips of this Legend of Diving wearing a 6309/6?? Does anyone know from which film these shots were taken - this might give us a date, allowing us to exclude specific models.

Input regarding the sponsoring of Cousteau's dive watches would be interesting too. I never heard of Seiko sponsoring Cousteau, so would he have chosen the 6309 from a drawer full of *mega Ploprofs and R*lexes, or was he a WIS with a hectic rotation just like us!? Or, did he get to that stage in life where he said "Life's to short NOT to wear the best dive watch in the world, GIMME that 6309!" ;D

I have included a single picture from EOT below, for more shots please visit the original EOT post at: http://www.equationoftime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=194638

·
Registered
230 Posts
WOW! Amazing, even the giant crab is after his 6309! :))

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I don't understand why would it be so amazing for him to wear a 6309 ::) ?
The man was a diver and most definitively was a WIS - or at least somebody with a big crush on watches in general.

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Saw that same image in a documentary that was part of Turner Classic Movies all-day tribute to Cousteau on June 11

Could have been "Blind Prophets of Easter Island" but not 100% certain. Those documentaries were a cornucopia of cool old dive watches!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LUW said:
I don't understand why would it be so amazing for him to wear a 6309 ::) ?
The man was a diver and most definitively was a WIS - or at least somebody with a big crush on watches in general.
Not amazing, but pleasantly surprising. I imagine much of his work must have been sponsored, and AFAIK Seiko was not one of these sponsors. Actually, I'm surprised Seiko had such a low advertising profile - aside from the single 6306 ad from Tokunaga, has ANYONE seen a 62MAS, 6309 or 7549 Tuna ad?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JohnN said:
Saw that same image in a documentary that was part of Turner Classic Movies all-day tribute to Cousteau on June 11

Could have been "Blind Prophets of Easter Island" but not 100% certain. Those documentaries were a cornucopia of cool old dive watches!
Thanks for that bit of info. That film was from 1978, shooting probably took place in 76-77, coinciding perfectly with the commercial introduction of the 6309/6306 divers, and eliminating the 7548 quartz diver which was introduced in 1978. If Seiko was not a sponsor, I doubt Cousteau would have access to a JDM 6306 or a prototype 7548, so my money would be on a 6309.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Did a watch brand actually sponsor him?
I would think not, specially in the 60's and early 70's. I think that back then a diver's watch was just a diver's watch, a tool watch, not something fashionable like nowadays.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts