The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Craftsman
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SCWF member Tod (CombatID) contacted me to pull together a project watch he had in mind using a very unique dial with corporate logo from Chrysler's Airtemp division. The watch in question is a 6139-6005 being converted to a 6139-6002 from 73 to coincide with the date stamp and other aesthetics and printing on the Airtemp dial. Tod is researching the origins of this dial and possibly how it came to be but the dial appears NOS and unused. Info can be found here:

The Chrysler Airtemp 6139 Project

Tod sent me the watch, Airtemp dial, 6002 case back, and a spare 6139B donor watch in the event parts were needed. Good thing as you will soon find out. When I say beauty is only skin deep, the outward appearance of this watch given the amazing looking case, bezel dial, inner rotating ring, and hands gave no clue at what lay inside. The short and simple answer was rust and plenty of it. Tod indicated the watch would run and function but the amplitude was very low with a ragged TG line.

Any parts that had corrosion that could be salvaged were cleaned and reused. Parts replaced in this build due to rust corrosion or for cosmetic reasons included:
o Setting Lever Spring ( Heavy Rust)
o Balance Wheel and Bridge (Light Corrosion)
o Pallet Fork (Light Corrosion)
o Winding Weight (Pitting and Corrosion)
o Both Chronograph Coupling Levers (Heavy Rust)
o Hammer (Light Corrosion)
o Upper Chronograph Bridge (Some brassing wear at the edges)
o Mainspring (Incorrect)

Most of these parts with the exception of the setting lever spring cleaned up pretty well and could be used in a future project build as the spare movement Tod provided.

This particular Airtemp 6139-6002 with 6139B cal movement was treated to a full service overhaul with new seals and crystal. No casework performed here other than a light polish to the new 6002 case back used on the watch. It turned out beautiful and I was proud to be a part of the project for Tod. Such a unique piece. Enjoy the pics .

Before:
Beautiful case, dial, bezel, rotating ring, and hands.

Rust and Corrosion Found Throughout the Movement:

Get a look at that setting lever spring. No bringing that one back. Toast. Amazingly, no other parts in the keyless works were damaged.

Rust Corrosion Train Side

Upon disassembly the MS barrel, I noticed the mainspring did not look quiet right to me. Correct spring on the left and the one out of this movement on the right. Note the spring on the right seems shorter and with fewer coils. This likely accounted for a good bit of the amplitude loss. You start to notice these things after servicing dozens of these movements.

With the appropriate replacement parts sourced from the donor movement it was into the cleaning and rinse solutions in my Watchmaster and we are ready for assembly and timing. What a difference.

First order of business, service the mainspring and barrel and jewel the arbor ports:

Movement Assembly Calendar Side:

Movement Assembly Train Side:

Not a bad runner.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
absolutely incredible
you do incredible work
thank you so much for sharing it with us
love it
stay safe and warm out there
God Bless,John

Reactions: Vette Enthusiast

·
Special Member
2,654 Posts
Fantastic result! Wasn't sure about the air temp dial at first, but it rally looks great once cased.
Great stuff!

Rob

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
655 Posts
Outstanding work! That rust pattern looks like a pusher gasket failed. Kind of amazing how much rust and crud these movements can contain and still run. As usual, you not only got really good performance out of this one, it looks the part as well.

·
Craftsman
3,824 Posts
Beautiful restoration and a one of a kind 6139!
In all my years of observing 6139-600x's I've never seen another AirTemp dial.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Another amazing rebuild John. What a Timegrapher trace !

Now about that Airtemp dial......
Hahaha! I know you don’t care for it Jon. And you are right, it is like a billboard on the dial. But I really like it’s weirdness, like the Aussie Pogue. And I have the original dial and caseback that will always stay with the watch if it’s ever sold.

Part Deux is coming on this watch. The Seiko Museum is investigating...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Oh and thank you Tom again for sending me the caseback to make the build “complete”!

·
Special Member
7,047 Posts
Hahaha! I know you don’t care for it Jon. And you are right, it is like a billboard on the dial. But I really like it’s weirdness, like the Aussie Pogue. And I have the original dial and caseback that will always stay with the watch if it’s ever sold.

Part Deux is coming on this watch. The Seiko Museum is investigating...

No no Tod you missed the inference, the dial was not in Part I of Vette's thread and so I was eagerly anticipating it !

·
Craftsman
3,824 Posts
Oh and thank you Tom again for sending me the caseback to make the build “complete”!

You're very welcome Tod! Glad I was able to help out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts