The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
28,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may know a group of us visited the show Sunday 24th and thanks to Baris we where guests of Seiko which meant we had a private showing of the new models being released this year.

A great day out was had by us all, expensive but I won't be in a position to do it again and you only live once :)

Seiko really do have some good new models, some of the GS where works of art, the new look Sumo's superb.

I can't tell you model, movement or size details as I forgot most of what I was told two seconds after I was told (i'm old :) ).

The 6105 reissue is very nice in the flesh and feels good on the wrist, 2500 Ltd and I believe most will be sold in Japan, I won't desire one but only because of the price, if I could afford it I would get one for sure.

The new Arnie is imo a really great product from Seiko, looks good or as good as any Arnie looks good, you either like them or hate them, Marmite ? :) I think it will be a massive seller, the ideal beater, casual wear watch and at a good price, just over £400 in the UK I think and not Ltd :) I will have one to pair up with my original.

One interesting bit of news I heard was that the SKX is now finished, what is there 4/5 SKX models ? and this will be replaced by the new SKX 5 and there will be at least twenty variations of the new SKX, coated, different dials, bezels etc etc and the "5" will be a slanting "5" so modders of the SKX won't have to mod as Seiko will have modded them for us already and I believe the price might come in cheaper than the present SKX :)

ps: When I went through customs on my way out of Basel airport I was almost stripped, the guys hands where everywhere but he wasent rough so it wasent at all bad :)

Photo's not great but they are what I have, sorry.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Very interesting news regarding the SKX. I honestly had high hopes Seiko would release a new Quartz Diver to take its place... along the lines of a 7548. Maybe that’s the next reissue ? Thx for the share JB. Looks like you had a wonderful time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I want to be like you when I grow up. Thanks for the shots. A total noob so it's kind of cool to see the latest and greatest thank you.

·
Administrator
28,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice to hear John and thanks for the pics. SKX sounds interesting but what do you mean with slanting 5?
My understanding is that its leaning well over to the right, not quite laying flat but close to flat, a friend saw examples but no photos where allowed, to be honest I don't know if I was allowed to mention them, if I wasent then just keep it to yourself until its official :)

ps: This may be an unofficial leak so forget I said anything :)

·
Registered
911 Posts
Great pics John and thank you. But seriously I still don't get this 5 lol. Maybe I'm just feeling a bit slow today.

Just noticed the goody bags.. I wonder...
Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
28,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Great pics John and thank you. But seriously I still don't get this 5 lol. Maybe I'm just feeling a bit slow today.

Just noticed the goody bags.. I wonder...
Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I never got to see these new SKX my friend did but like I say the 5 isent in a shield it is laying almost flat.

Each goody bag had a new Arnie in it but I don't want to wear it as the dial is a bit special because it has BaselWorld 2019 printed on it, limited to 100 world wide with a 18ct gold Seiko wave on the case back:)

·
"The Prospector"
4,352 Posts
Very nice pics Cyril, Glad you had a good time, only who wouldn't there. It's on my before i kick the bucket list for next year ! ;):rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Great report, John! Love all the pics. And probably the most concrete info on the sun-setting of the current SKX line, despite all the rumors that have abounded for years. Don't suppose you gave them any unsolicited feedback on crappy chapter ring alignment, did you? :grin::grin::grin:

·
Special Member
4,436 Posts
I never got to see these new SKX my friend did but like I say the % isent in a shield it is laying almost flat.

Each goody bag had a new Arnie in it but I don't want to wear it as the dial is a bit special because it has BaselWorld 2019 printed on it, limited to 100 world wide with a 18ct gold Seiko wave on the case back:)
Wow! Mr B, that’s just very special!

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I never got to see these new SKX my friend did but like I say the % isent in a shield it is laying almost flat.

WOW WOW WOW

·
Registered
5,282 Posts

Sorry guys I was kidding about the Arnie it was only brochures in the bags
Surely you aren't just saying that now because you failed to declare Swiss Customs on it?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Old, nearly bold, decrepit and senile ? :(

LOL haha, I think he wants to be like you with a great sense of humour. Glad to have a great man like you here.

For the discontinuation of SKX, my thoughts on why Seiko replace with Seiko 5. I guess Seiko no longer wants to maintain the normal diving watch at this price, they are moving the model up the chain with 4Rs, perhaps eventually they will retire 4Rs too in the future and replace with 6Rs.

Seiko 5 replacing SKX will make them profitable as the cost may be lower, I guess. Most Seiko fans would have a stereotype thinking of Seiko 5 which is perceived to be cheaper in price which I think it is. I have been to a country where Seikos were only recognised as Seiko 5, that's affordable to the people there.

Why Seiko 5 is cheaper? Perhaps all Seiko 5 are produced other than in Japan which the cost can be kept lower?

Hence the SKX replacement seems logical to me. My 2 cent opinion.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts