The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I'm ballin' on a budget. For those who aren't familiar with American slang, that essentially means that I buy luxury items, even though my resources are laughable.

Thus, I've set out some guidelines or rules to this mad game to keep from finding myself living in the streets. Not that I adhere to them well, but I try to stick by them as best I can. For example:

1. Only own one type of movement.

I'm a bit movement-centric. However, this is exceedingly difficult as there are so many "wants" from Seiko with this movement. SARB line anyone? Project watches don't fall under this rule.

2. Only one quartz at any given time.
My wife stole my SSC021, so I now have space for a Tuna ;p This doesn't count the Tag F1 I got as a gift (told you I would cheat).

3. Asian movements or ETA 2824 only.

Partially, this is because of the Swatch group's decision to stop licensing out their movements.

Another is the general Swiss industry's move to take servicing as inhouse as they can, leaving local watchmakers high and dry as they cannot get replacement parts. This could fit with rule 6.

4. In house manufacture.

OK, this actually isn't really a key issue for me, as I love my Marathon GSAR (which has a modified ETA 2824) and I've got my eye on a Raven Deep Tech (with a Miyota movement).

5. Only one pure dress watch at any time.

6. Only watches from companies I respect in terms of business practices and ethics.

No Panerai with their "Brooklyn Bridge" fiasco.

7. No digitals.

Well, only because I already have a dozen G-Shocks. Ani-digis are okay, but I haven't owned one yet... Would conflict with rule 2 if I got that Tuna.

8. No watches I wouldn't dare work on myself. On a related note, also only watches with easily / cheaply obtainable movements. Exception would be the 8L35 because I'd really want an MM300.

Notice that I actually don't have any explicit price ceilings in place (but I should).

Sorry for not being an enabler and being a bit of a Debbie Downer, but I found that this exercise has kept my hobby sane and manageable. The added benefit is that watches just have that much more value to me if they can tick off most of those rules. Something about the journey...

Do you have any self-imposed rules in this hobby/ obsession?

Despite the anti-Swiss undertones in this post, I implore you to not start Swiss vs. Japanese discussions (we all know how all those end up).

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm a disaster when it comes to mindless flipping. So far I've reduced myself to two affordables and I'm supposed to be avoiding forums to keep from reacquiring the Tuna I want. As you can see I am failing avoiding forums.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I showed my wife a picture of an SARB065 that I had wanted.

She went spastic "Another *bleeping* watch?!"

She takes a closer look and says "Oh okay, it's just a Seiko." :)

I need to pull that over her with a Snowflake.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've gone full rogue in the past few months, watches are taking over in various states. I guess I should take up some rules!

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Tiger..where can i find these 5 dollar watches....

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
well we can all dream of the 5 dollar watches...

·
Registered
507 Posts
So, I'm ballin' on a budget. For those who aren't familiar with American slang, that essentially means that I buy luxury items, even though my resources are laughable.

Thus, I've set out some guidelines or rules to this mad game to keep from finding myself living in the streets. Not that I adhere to them well, but I try to stick by them as best I can. For example:

3. Asian movements or ETA 2824 only.

Partially, this is because of the Swatch group's decision to stop licensing out their movements.

Another is the general Swiss industry's move to take servicing as inhouse as they can, leaving local watchmakers high and dry as they cannot get replacement parts. This could fit with rule 6.

4. In house manufacture.

OK, this actually isn't really a key issue for me, as I love my Marathon GSAR (which has a modified ETA 2824) and I've got my eye on a Raven Deep Tech (with a Miyota movement).

6. Only watches from companies I respect in terms of business practices and ethics.

No Panerai with their "Brooklyn Bridge" fiasco.

8. No watches I wouldn't dare work on myself. On a related note, also only watches with easily / cheaply obtainable movements. Exception would be the 8L35 because I'd really want an MM300.
I buy along very similar lines to you, with the same ethics. After hearing horror stories of people trying to get their Rolex/Omega/Jaeger services and being charged ridiculous amounts for replacing a crown, the shine quickly dulled when it came to Swiss watches. Nomos is a European watchmaker worth looking at, they are about as in house as you can get at this time, and aren't trying to corner you when it comes to servicing.
The next high end watch I get will be a Grand Seiko or Royal Orient.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
well i think this is just good business...we all need to be better stewards with our hard earned money....

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
living on a budget is something we all should aspire too....nothing better than leaving in your means and still getting what you want...hard work

1 - 15 of 15 Posts