The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of a rant really, and no where to turn. 7s26b may point me in the right direction, I've tried searching on here and the Web, but my ineptness with watches and searching has made me turn to a post.
Anyway, I've managed to trash some balance springs, and if I can't do them (for now), I'll let someone else. My question is, can a generic spring be bought, like a mainspring, or is each balance spring unique to each model of watch.
Thank you for any help, mucho appreciated!!
Regards, David

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hi diesel , ....I don't have an answer to your question BUT I just watched 2 new YouTube videos on the watch Repair Channel dealing with hairspring problems . One was to repair a bent hairspring and the other was to repair a twisted hairspring . Good luck getting your answer .

·
Super Moderator
3,017 Posts
Years ago, a qualified "maybe", with enough skill to finish the job. But nowadays, "no", hairspring blanks are not available easily. And even if you could get them in the right width, height, and length, you'd still have to attach a collet and stud to them to fit your balance and balance bridge. And many these days are not easily so done, now that the traditional pinning methods have been eschewed for laser welding and adhesive attachment. They are increasingly viewed as a complete unit, to be swapped out for another balance complete if there is any issue (though higher-end balances can be re-staffed, and replacement rollers are often available).
Hairsprings are matched to the weight of the balance at the factory, so even swapping one from one balance to another can prove fruitless depending on how far out the weights are from the two. Best not to ruin them in the first place :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for confirming my suspicions @rilynp, been searching all over the net to find a supplier, then posted this thread to try and she'd some light. Looks like I'll avoid playing with movements at the moment and allow someone who can.
I'll have a look at those videos, @ricardodopalamino, but sense my ham fistedness may just leave me wanting to try, but knowing I can't.
Thank you both for helping me out.
Regards, David

·
Registered
461 Posts
I feel your pain, im in the middle of trying to straighten a hairspring, on my 7002-7010, it got a little bent out of shape, then it got a little twisted, I too watched those videos, the link was left on one of my posts by a fellow member, ive been at it for 3 days now about an hour each evening.
as I get one bit done another problem occurs, its really hard work and very frustrating and in the end imdont think the hairspring will be of any use whatsoever, but I will persevere and you never know it might just be re fitted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts