The Watch Site banner

Back in the USA

24K views 185 replies 23 participants last post by  bigbluekyle 
#1 ·
#70 ·
Another blast from the past photos I found at my Mom's House.

12th grade in High School. I was early accepted to UVa so I "elected" with a special waiver to not attend the last semester of High School :) I needed money for school so I bought this truck and started my own landscaping business. I loved this Copper Colored Early 1970s Boxy Ford Truck but all my friends kept telling me how Ugly it was as they had some really cool muscle cars.

I sent advertising flyers out to the wealthy neighborhoods and in the spring I was loaded with work and was picking and choosing the highest paying jobs. I liked mulching jobs as mulch was cheap by the yard (1 bulldozer scoop), easy to spread out, and made the houses look fantastic. By the start of the summer I was flush with cash and all my high school buddies bought trucks and joined in the landscaping business. We absolutely raked in the Cash that Summer :)

My Ugly Copper Ford had turned to Gold

#71 ·
Boy I admire your entrepreneurship at such a young age. Has served you well.

Love that Large VIRGINIA window sticker, same one I stuck onto my VW Beetle of course it filled that window up that much more.

As an early admission guy too, I had no such option to not attend the second half of senior year of H.S. but let's just say back then attendance wasn't tracked so well and it wasn't all that different in practice.......

#72 ·
Finally I have a break from the Restoration of the House (Workers are off for Easter) and I had the chance to gather all the incoming Pogues. Very overwelming and I 'm still trying to evaluate what to do with each watch. Not all of these will survive and I have to decide which ones get the best parts and which will end up scrappers.

#87 ·
Here is the True Pogue as purchased. I am still undecided if I should use the original butter yellow(faded) inner bezel (below) or one with a strong yellow color(above)?

Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks!

I've been undecided about the same for about 2 years now! Will be following closely. Also, a better (still faded) bezel insert or darker?

Rob

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

#88 ·
I’m a chapter ring changer if possible. It’s not necessary imho, but I think it improves the look. Really white ones distract the look but I understand it for originality if that’s more important to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#89 · (Edited)
^ ^ ^ Beautiful True Pogues Gentlemen . . . Thanks for Sharing ^ ^ ^

Personally I like the look of both inner rings (faded and strong yellow). I don't particularly like black rings faded to grey but a faded yellow ring is very appealing to my eye. I agree with Tod that a stronger color yellow inner ring makes the watch look better but a slightly faded inner ring just screams "Original" Pogue. It seems that the inner ring on this particular model (Yellow 6005 Resist) is very prone to fading and the faded ring has become an almost unique signature of a "True Pogue".

I have a habit of using the better parts for the better watches so it was instinct to install a stronger color Yellow Ring on the True Pogue . . . but I'm really not sure this time???

#90 · (Edited)
I have given ALL the workers on the House this weekend off. NO WORK. I am exhausted constantly running back and forth between the crews and I need a Break. Time for some Fun Seiko Time :)

I purchased this 6000 Blue Proof only for the Chiclet Bracelet (the only complete 6139 Chiclet I have seen for sale in many years). When this popped up I did not even look at the seller's photos and I smashed the Buy It Now Button with Extreme Prejudice ©CombatID.

I just got around to looking at the watch and it is in remarkable condition. Crystal only has a few very light scratches and I believe the original, Dial and Hands perfect, lume bright white, case and caseback mint, and the bezel insert is probably the best I have ever seen - only a few light marks with strong blue and red colors.

Chiclet is in Beautiful Condition. Some light scratches mainly on the clasp but it will refinish nicely. I believe that this watch was Barely Worn.

#94 ·
I have given ALL the workers on the House this weekend off. NO WORK. I am exhausted constantly running back and forth between the crews and I need a Break. Time for some Fun Seiko Time :)

I purchased this 6000 Blue Proof only for the Chiclet Bracelet (the only complete 6139 Chiclet I have seen for sale in many years). When this popped up I did not even look at the seller's photos and I smashed the Buy It Now Button with Extreme Prejudice [emoji2398]CombatID.

I just got around to looking at the watch and it is in remarkable condition. Crystal only has a few very light scratches and I believe the original, Dial and Hands perfect, lume bright white, case and caseback mint, and the bezel insert is probably the best I have ever seen - only a few light marks with strong blue and red colors.

Chiclet is in Beautiful Condition. Some light scratches mainly on the clasp but it will refinish nicely. I believe that this watch was Barely Worn.

That was really, really well smashed (with EP). You have my consent.

Reactions: bigbluekyle
#93 ·
Here is the original seller's photo of the 6000 Blue Proof with Chiclet. What I find strange is the seller used a nice photo tent and the watch looks to be in great shape but the seller provided No Closeup Photo of the Dial (all background and no dial). If selling a watch in Near Mint Condition better for a seller to provide Lots of Closeup photos. No worrries I Smashed it all the same :)

#95 · (Edited)
6139 Bracelets removed from the watches and all need to be cleaned. The 2 Stelux President bracelets were originally found on 6002 Blue No Text/Plain Dial watches from 1972 (both with 2D serial numbers and both with Roman day wheels. Both were purchased mainly for the case backs to go on Sunrises). The Blue 6002 No Text/Plain Dial is a commonly found 6139 model and not particularly rare. Presidents will be cleaned and re-installed on much rarer Silver Pogues. IMO Silver Pogues look so good with Presidents :)

#96 · (Edited)
Early Yellow Speed-Timer. Not in the Best Condition and I would very much appreciate your thoughts on the restoration of this watch. Heavily scratched crystal, incorrect shiny hands (should be matte frosted?) incorrect sweep (looks like a 6106? and should be a 2 pc sweep), original indicator ring is in excellent condition (I noticed that the Numbers on the inner ring are Very Thick and Heavy looking - noticeably different than normal later inner rings). Movement is the correct 21J A but running poorly (does not reset to zero) etc. I've seen some severely deteriorated caseback gaskets in my life but this one looks like it has melted with debris everywhere.

Chrome on the hour markers is showing some oxidation and the dreaded halo is distracting. Would you have the hour markers and hands re-lumed??? I have a few spare 6139 A that I could supply as donors to service the movement. A lot of work needed here and I'm just not sure if it is worth it???

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks!

#100 ·
IMO the Yellow 6000 JDM SpeedTimer at the very least needs the correct matte H/M hands and 2pc sweep and I don't have any spares :( I feel it would be awful to rob a 2 pc sweep and matte hands from another watch to restore the Yellow JDM Speed-Timer. I would love to find a set of matte hands and as they are going to be relumed so the condition of the lume would be unimportant.

I feel it would be a crime to rob either of these 6010 SpeedTimers of their hands and 2 pc sweep.

#102 ·
IMO the Yellow 6000 JDM SpeedTimer at the very least needs the correct matte H/M hands and 2pc sweep and I don't have any spares :( I feel it would be awful to rob a 2 pc sweep and matte hands from another watch to restore the Yellow JDM Speed-Timer. I would love to find a set of matte hands and as they are going to be relumed so the condition of the lume would be unimportant.

I feel it would be a crime to rob either of these 6010 SpeedTimers of their hands and 2 pc sweep.

Those -6010s are beauties Kyle. They need to be restored at some point for sure. Mine is still in Adrian’s cue, I’m looking forward to watching it get reborn.

What are the dates on your two. Just curious on when the matte hands were still being used.

#104 ·

#109 · (Edited)
I checked my Notched Case A 6139s (3) and I believe this 6139-6000 Blue Proof would make a good donor for the Yellow Speed-Timer. 6139A movement is running well. All Chrono hands reset to Zero (very hard to find a replacement A center chrono wheel). Notched Case also looks to be in better condition than the SpeedTimer case. Looking at the SpeedTimer case you can see where someone used a tool (probably pliers) ? to pull out stuck pushers and scratched up the side of the case and pushers.

This Case looks much better. Case looks like it was polished at some point but case lines are good (very sharp). With a rebrushed top I believe this case would turn out looking very nice :)

Workers are back to the house this morning. Seiko Fun Time is Over - Back to Work!

Donor for the Yellow JDM SpeedTimer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.