The Watch Site banner

101 - 120 of 147 Posts

·
Special Member
7,358 Posts
I too think silver Pogues bong only on presidents.

EDIT after a meme by the OP:
Why on god's green earth would a phone's autocorrect database even know the word 'bong'? LOL

I have a few red NOS 2 pc sweepers Kyle

·
Special Member
2,916 Posts
IMO the Yellow 6000 JDM SpeedTimer at the very least needs the correct matte H/M hands and 2pc sweep and I don't have any spares :( I feel it would be awful to rob a 2 pc sweep and matte hands from another watch to restore the Yellow JDM Speed-Timer. I would love to find a set of matte hands and as they are going to be relumed so the condition of the lume would be unimportant.

I feel it would be a crime to rob either of these 6010 SpeedTimers of their hands and 2 pc sweep.

Those -6010s are beauties Kyle. They need to be restored at some point for sure. Mine is still in Adrian’s cue, I’m looking forward to watching it get reborn.

What are the dates on your two. Just curious on when the matte hands were still being used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
2,916 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Craftsman
3,896 Posts
Taken out of the case for a better full face shot of the dial. I believe most of the tiny black spots are just debris and dirt that can easily be blown off the dial.

What month does it date to Kyle? I'm under the impression the matte hands were used up until about June or so of 69' before they switched to the chrome hands on later 69' issues.
It's definitely worth the effort + cost to bring this watch back on line regardless of the halo..

Re-lume, correct 2 piece sweep, gentle dial clean, nos domed crystal or a Worthy replacement, gaskets, movement service, and you're back in business.

·
Special Member
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 · (Edited)
I checked my Notched Case A 6139s (3) and I believe this 6139-6000 Blue Proof would make a good donor for the Yellow Speed-Timer. 6139A movement is running well. All Chrono hands reset to Zero (very hard to find a replacement A center chrono wheel). Notched Case also looks to be in better condition than the SpeedTimer case. Looking at the SpeedTimer case you can see where someone used a tool (probably pliers) ? to pull out stuck pushers and scratched up the side of the case and pushers.

This Case looks much better. Case looks like it was polished at some point but case lines are good (very sharp). With a rebrushed top I believe this case would turn out looking very nice :)

Workers are back to the house this morning. Seiko Fun Time is Over - Back to Work!

Donor for the Yellow JDM SpeedTimer

·
Special Member
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Perhaps I should think twice about which watch I am willing to sacrifice. This 6000 Early Proof just popped up on our favorite auction site for $1,795 :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

No Links to Live Auctions. Search: VINTAGE FEB 1970 SEIKO 6139-6000 PEPSI CHRONOGRAPH WRISTWATCH

·
Special Member
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 · (Edited)
Taking a Break from Pogue Madness I received a package today. Photo is really just showing off the refinished white oak wood floors :) 1 coat sanding sealer and then 3 coats of polyurethane buffed between each coat. Wall paint color looks violet in this photo but is actually a very neutral warm grey.

In the package was a H556 dress watch that I just bought as I needed a donor movement for the H558-5010 Field Master (AKA Ashtray Arnie). The H558-5010 with the cool bezel was Dead on Arrival and movement severely corroded from a battery leak. Normally I see the H558-5010 on a leather strap and this is the first one that I have purchased with a diver strap - looks like the original strap too.

·
Special Member
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 · (Edited)
Incoming Vintage O'po :) Too blingy and "old man" looking for most people but I enjoy wearing them. So Comfortable and I am an Old Man - Hombre Viejo as the young Salvadoreños often tell me (great guys) :)

Early Vietnam War Era Olongapo Bracelet with hand made United States Marine Corps Eagle, Globe, and Anchor Insignia. I really like the early hand made insignias (very lively, fun, and almost cartoonish). Later they used machine stamped insignias. Bracelet came on a battered 6106 so I removed the bracelet and installed it on the 6106 modded with a 6109 Radiant Blue Dial.

·
Special Member
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 · (Edited)
John's (Vette enthusiast) recent restoration thread of a 6138-3000 Jumbo Chronograph and the Beautiful Petrol Blue Dial brought back memories of my Metallic Blue Sports Car. Another blast from the past photos I found at my Mom's House.

After UVa I worked for a Dept of Defense Contractor in Bethesda, Md. Excellent pay for a kid right out of college so I bought a Porsche. In the photo I am on the Right and on the Left is my next door neighbor Charlie. We have known each other since the age of 5. He is a very famous stage and TV actor living in NYC.

Long story on the Porsche but I looked at this car and at the same time was looking at a Ferrari Dino 246GTS in Olney, MD. Porsche was $10K and the Ferrari was $14K. Quite a step up from my $50 Honda. The Ferrari was absolutely gorgeous, completely redone by the owner. Red with Tan leather. I wanted a daily driver and the Dino was notorious for electrical problems so I bought the Metallic Blue Porsche - Big Mistake $$$.

And I also got a speeding ticket driving the Porsche from an unmarked Virginia State Police Car. Nabbed on the 495 just before the Bridge over the Potomac River going from Virgina into Maryland. The Virginia State Trooper pulled me over just before the state line and while writing up the ticket told me he clocked me at 110 miles per hour and it took him forever to catch up with me and pull me over. If I had gotten across the state line I was gone. He wrote the ticket up for me going 90 mph. I just smiled and thanked him. I got 6 speeding tickets in 6 months and my Insurance skyrocketed - I had to sell the Car.

The Porsche Was Fast and Superb Handling but speeding tickets just killed me.

·
Special Member
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 · (Edited)
I've been caught up in the Pogue Madness for a while now and I sometimes forget what first drew me in - Seiko Divers have always been my first love :)

This popped up on our favorite auction site today and I Smashed it with EP © CombatID. Seller has already shipped the watch out :)

I wonder what happened to the Bezel insert from 40 - 55?

Vintage Seiko Diver 6309-7049 Turtle Men's Wrist Watch - JK361 | eBay

·
Craftsman
3,896 Posts
John's (Vette enthusiast) recent restoration thread of a 6138-3000 Jumbo Chronograph and the Beautiful Petrol Blue Dial brought back memories of my Metallic Blue Sports Car. Another blast from the past photos I found at my Mom's House.

After UVa I worked for a Dept of Defense Contractor in Bethesda, Md. Excellent pay for a kid right out of college so I bought a Porsche. In the photo I am on the Right and on the Left is my next door neighbor Charlie. We have known each other since the age of 5. He is a very famous stage and TV actor living in NYC.

Long story on the Porsche but I looked at this car and at the same time was looking at a Ferrari Dino 246GTS in Olney, MD. Porsche was $10K and the Ferrari was $14K. Quite a step up from my $50 Honda. The Ferrari was absolutely gorgeous, completely redone by the owner. Red with Tan leather. I wanted a daily driver and the Dino was notorious for electrical problems so I bought the Metallic Blue Porsche - Big Mistake $$$.

And I also got a speeding ticket driving the Porsche from an unmarked Virginia State Police Car. Nabbed on the 495 just before the Bridge over the Potomac River going from Virgina into Maryland. The Virginia State Trooper pulled me over just before the state line and while writing up the ticket told me he clocked me at 110 miles per hour and it took him forever to catch up with me and pull me over. If I had gotten across the state line I was gone. He wrote the ticket up for me going 90 mph. I just smiled and thanked him. I got 6 speeding tickets in 6 months and my Insurance skyrocketed - I had to sell the Car.

The Porsche Was Fast and Superb Handling but speeding tickets just killed me.

Seems we have a lot in common Kyle. Watches, bikes, and cars trying to out run the Law. I was always out running the local cops as a kid but one time I tried to out run a State Trooper. When he finally caught up with me miles down the road, right before my planned escape turn off, He wasn't too pleasant and told me he had to do over 90 mph to catch me and a UPS truck almost ran him off the road. I wasn't getting any breaks! Needless to say I lost my license for 90 days over that one. Of course, that didn't stop me from driving and a few weeks later I was in a 100 car pileup on the Interstate. When it was all over I was blocked in by wrecks but hadn't been hit. The Troopers were so overwhelmed by all the wrecks, when they discovered I hadn't been hit, they just let me go without asking for identification. I escaped by the skin of my teeth............:)

Those were the days and now we're content playing with watches.........lol

·
Special Member
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 · (Edited)
About a month ago Tom sent me a fantastic Photo of him as a young rebel on a Honda motorbike. Classic 1970s with long hair, super cool bike, and a look that can only be described as "I set my own rules . . . I am my own boss". I am sure that if we had grown up together in the same part of the USA we would have been riding together and getting into trouble.

Our Race is Not Run :)

Kyle

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've been caught up in the Pogue Madness for a while now and I sometimes forget what first drew me in - Seiko Divers have always been my first love :)

This popped up on our favorite auction site today and I Smashed it with EP CombatID. Seller has already shipped the watch out :)

I wonder what happened to the Bezel insert from 40 - 55?

Vintage Seiko Diver 6309-7049 Turtle Men's Wrist Watch - JK361 | eBay

That's going to be a nice one, nice pickup. Interesting about the bezel.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
I just noticed that in the 2nd Porsche photo my Mom's dog is in the driver's seat :) A Toy Poddle named Pici. Pici was an annoying dog - yipping and yapping all the time.

101 - 120 of 147 Posts