The Watch Site banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Special Member
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
We are VERY Lucky to have great guys working on our watches. There are only a handful of VERY skilled and talented members throughout the world who have the experience and parts to get the job done and done right. We all know from past experience and restoration threads that both Tom and John do beautiful work on Vintage Seikos. I gave them both a heads up before arriving in the USA to see if they could reserve some bench time for my incoming chronos. As is usually the case they both do exceptional work and as a result they are both "VERY Busy".

Evaluating the incoming watches has taken much longer than I anticipated mainly because I am so busy with restoring my Mom's House. I am supervising 5 crews (painting, flooring, bathrooms, kitchen, and landscaping) and 3 crews are from El Salvador and 1 from Mexico. I can speak Spanish so work is proceeding very nicely. White Oak floors were sanded and finished over the last few days. Horrible polyurethane smell throughout the house but floors turned out Amazing!

I need to decide which chronos should go to Tom and which should go to John?? A seriously confusing dilemma :) I will be here for quite a while so we are in No Hurry. I know it would be Best to get them serviced while I am Back In the USA by the Vintage Seiko Chronograph Professionals!

Sanding the Wood Floors in the Office

·
Special Member
5,183 Posts
Thanks for the Very Warm Welcome Back to the USA. I am at my Mom's house and I found some old photos that I have never seen

My first bike. I thought it was a 185cc but actually a 250 (shows how my memory is fading) I'm 16 in the photo - total punk ass!

I used to ride the Suzuki from Charlottesville VA to MD. On the highway a 250cc is brutal. 2nd year at UVA I keep seeing this bike in my parking lot. It never moved. After about 6 months I asked around and tracked down the owner who had moved away. The original owner had dropped the bike with damage visible to the front crash bars and scrapes to the exhaust pipes. When I finally contacted the owner he said he "forgot" about the bike and doesn't want it. He drove over, handed me the keys and title, and only wanted $50. It was a brand new Honda CB 750K 4 cylinder with only 700 miles. Bike was not running so I dropped in a new battery and it fired right up. I paid more for my non-running Seiko 7548 Quartz Watch :)

Fast and . . . oh so comfortable on the highway

:)
Nice pictures Kyle!

Lived in Charlottesville for a little while after stint on Wainwright cg 28. Gorgeous country scenery!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
When I returned to the USA I had Stimulus Checks and Debit Cards waiting for me :) You guys told me there was another one coming and you were right. I just checked my bank account online and the IRS is now even making it easier with a $1400 Electronic Funds Transfer directly into my account. I believe it might even be possible that one day soon I will hear a Helicopter hovering overhead making a massive cash money drop. I Love America!

·
Special Member
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Personally I feel payments should be directed toward those who have lost their jobs or have been adversely impacted because of the Covid epidemic. Right now while Back in the USA I know I am helping out a lot of workers and the economy with the restoration of the House.

·
Craftsman
1,705 Posts
Looks like you are fueling our economy Kyle and I am sure the contractors you are working with appreciate the work you are providing on your mother's house. I am happy to help you with the watch services in any way I can.

·
Special Member
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Sometimes You Win and Sometimes You Lose

Loser - The 6139-7039 was Very Disappointing. Looked great in photos but the case has been overly polished to oblivion. All case lines and brushing has been completely destroyed - A Shiny Blob! I'm sure the case could be refinished nicely by the case experts like lapinist or tanner but I'm not sure if it's worth the cost. I even bought a new bonded rim crystal for the watch for the restoration. Many thanks for John (Vette Enthusiast) for helping me to source the crystal. I will just put this one on hold to try to find a better case another day. I'll drop this one in the drawer labeled "Turds"

Winner - A beautiful Plain Dial No Text Yellow Pogue. R Dial and Hands are Near Perfect. Beautiful Orange/Gold color with a strong iridescence (really glows) . Pepsi Bezel Insert is Like New with no scratches, paint loss, or fading of the colors (very deep blue almost purple). I'm not a Big Fan of distracting Halos but what I find unusual about this one is the Halo around the subdial is very faint but a Bright Red - nicely matches the Sweep and Small Sub Hand very well. Very hard to see in photos but really looks great in person. Pushers are stuck and needs a New Crystal. Came with the original Tapering H-Link Bracelet.

·
Special Member
2,836 Posts
Hahaha. A drawer labeled "turds". Hilarious
I think it is so rude to label these poor Seikos in this manner. I’m thinking “awaiting to be reborn” is apropos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Another blast from the past photos I found at my Mom's House.

12th grade in High School. I was early accepted to UVa so I "elected" with a special waiver to not attend the last semester of High School :) I needed money for school so I bought this truck and started my own landscaping business. I loved this Copper Colored Early 1970s Boxy Ford Truck but all my friends kept telling me how Ugly it was as they had some really cool muscle cars.

I sent advertising flyers out to the wealthy neighborhoods and in the spring I was loaded with work and was picking and choosing the highest paying jobs. I liked mulching jobs as mulch was cheap by the yard (1 bulldozer scoop), easy to spread out, and made the houses look fantastic. By the start of the summer I was flush with cash and all my high school buddies bought trucks and joined in the landscaping business. We absolutely raked in the Cash that Summer :)

My Ugly Copper Ford had turned to Gold

·
Special Member
7,262 Posts
Boy I admire your entrepreneurship at such a young age. Has served you well.

Love that Large VIRGINIA window sticker, same one I stuck onto my VW Beetle of course it filled that window up that much more.

As an early admission guy too, I had no such option to not attend the second half of senior year of H.S. but let's just say back then attendance wasn't tracked so well and it wasn't all that different in practice.......

·
Special Member
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Finally I have a break from the Restoration of the House (Workers are off for Easter) and I had the chance to gather all the incoming Pogues. Very overwelming and I 'm still trying to evaluate what to do with each watch. Not all of these will survive and I have to decide which ones get the best parts and which will end up scrappers.

·
Special Member
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Now I'm starting to have some Fun. With lots of incoming watches there are lots of new opportunities. I kinda like this serial number (+297) :)

·
Special Member
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I wonder why the original was changed ?

Not sure :) Perhaps the previous owner liked the look of a GMT hand with arrow. The small sub hand looks original to me but I don't know about the H/M hands. They look too new and believe they might be replacements. Rest of the watch looks pretty good.

·
Special Member
7,262 Posts
Not sure :) Perhaps the previous owner liked the look of a GMT hand with arrow. The small sub hand looks original to me but I don't know about the H/M hands. They look too new and believe they might be replacements. Rest of the watch looks pretty good.
I have never seen that light green hue to the lume on hour markers and it matches the color of the hour and minute hands perfectly. Gotta be a relume, but I like it as is.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts