The Watch Site banner

41 - 60 of 113 Posts

·
Special Member
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I have a mix of both 18mm and 19mm. I believe the Seiko 6139 Pogue Non Tapering H-Link Bracelet the last link measures 18mm?

·
Special Member
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Time to Swap Some Parts:)

I know there are many people who do not like to swap parts but prefer to keep a watch original to itself. I perfectly understand this but I like my watches to look as good as possible. I believe the Gene Kranz should get the better Bezel and better Case???

The Gene Kranz bracelet is Dirty and Grungy and needs a good soak and cleaning (How do they get this disgusting?)

·
Special Member
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Thanks for the Very Warm Welcome Back to the USA. I am at my Mom's house and I found some old photos that I have never seen

My first bike. I thought it was a 185cc but actually a 250 (shows how my memory is fading) I'm 16 in the photo - total punk ass!

I used to ride the Suzuki from Charlottesville VA to MD. On the highway a 250cc is brutal. 2nd year at UVA I keep seeing this bike in my parking lot. It never moved. After about 6 months I asked around and tracked down the owner who had moved away. The original owner had dropped the bike with damage visible to the front crash bars and scrapes to the exhaust pipes. When I finally contacted the owner he said he "forgot" about the bike and doesn't want it. He drove over, handed me the keys and title, and only wanted $50. It was a brand new Honda CB 750K 4 cylinder with only 700 miles. Bike was not running so I dropped in a new battery and it fired right up. I paid more for my non-running Seiko 7548 Quartz Watch :)

Fast and . . . oh so comfortable on the highway

:)

·
Special Member
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I now understand why the Gene Kranz bracelets are nearly impossible to find. The center links are tiny and wrap around the spring bar on the underside. If the tiny center links are bent slightly open the bracelet will just pop out. Once the center links are tightened and end link tabs adjusted and installed the fit is amazing.

The end links have a rolled edge and slighly rounded radius and when adjusted properly they fit tight and completely flush with the case. No rattling whatsover. I've installed a number of bracelets but this one is really incredible.

·
Special Member
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
While Back in the USA I always have a Lot of Work to Do . . . but I try to give myself a little time each day to work on the Seikos. For me Seiko Watches are my short break from the difficulties and sometimes harsh realities of Life :)

6139 Chrono Check:

I am still trying to evaluate the Chronos. Not pictured is a beautiful True Pogue with gorgeous Dial and nicely faded inner ring (looks like a creamy butter) and beautiful original slightly orange lume that I am currently working on. Case is in Poor condition so it will be swapped.

The 2 Blue 6002's on the Right were purchased as Parts watches only. Surprising very nice watches (except the one replaced sweep). Presidents and Case Backs are Off to see New Life elsewhere. I will hold on to the watches to see if I can use any other parts and then maybe move them along later.

·
Craftsman
1,705 Posts
Thanks for the Very Warm Welcome Back to the USA. I am at my Mom's house and I found some old photos that I have never seen

My first bike. I thought it was a 185cc but actually a 250 (shows how my memory is fading) I'm 16 in the photo - total punk ass!

I used to ride the Suzuki from Charlottesville VA to MD. On the highway a 250cc is brutal. 2nd year at UVA I keep seeing this bike in my parking lot. It never moved. After about 6 months I asked around and tracked down the owner who had moved away. The original owner had dropped the bike with damage visible to the front crash bars and scrapes to the exhaust pipes. When I finally contacted the owner he said he "forgot" about the bike and doesn't want it. He drove over, handed me the keys and title, and only wanted $50. It was a brand new Honda CB 750K 4 cylinder with only 700 miles. Bike was not running so I dropped in a new battery and it fired right up. I paid more for my non-running Seiko 7548 Quartz Watch :)

Fast and . . . oh so comfortable on the highway

:)
Wow- A Honda CB750 for $50. Have you checked prices on vintage CB750s lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Craftsman
1,705 Posts
Scenic ride up US-29 just watching out for the most unmarked of unmarked Highway Patrol cars you'd ever imagine - at one time the VA State Police were nailing speeders in unmarked Mustang GT Convertibles ! Black on black.
Boy do I know it. Got nailed by a VA State Trooper in plain white Mustang GT 5.0 coming back from VA Tech in the mid 80s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
I have better luck with non-running Honda's than non-running Seiko's :)

I only bought 2 Quartz watches this past year. A 7548 and H558. Both purchased as non-runners. I opened them up today and installed new batteries and both are Dead. The 7548 movement looks good but the old battery was starting to leak - good that I got it out.

The H558 had no battery when I opened it up but had considerable corrosion to the movement. Interesting to note that the H558 caseback has a thin plastic top cover (looks original). Not sure what the purpose of this is (added insulation? more comfortable?)

I have plenty of 7546 movements to fix the 7548 and will most likely pickup a dress H556 (they are cheap and plentiful) as a donor watch to harvest the movement for the H558.

·
Special Member
1,984 Posts
Time to Swap Some Parts:)

I know there are many people who do not like to swap parts but prefer to keep a watch original to itself. I perfectly understand this but I like my watches to look as good as possible. I believe the Gene Kranz should get the better Bezel and better Case???

The Gene Kranz bracelet is Dirty and Grungy and needs a good soak and cleaning (How do they get this disgusting?)

what oyster bracelet is on the blue dialed 6106?'

<* shark >>><

·
Special Member
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
It's like a stainless steel jigsaw puzzle. It looks like I might have been able to piece together 2 Jubilees. Not sure if original or AM.

·
Special Member
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Always tough to try to see if it's from a 6139-7002 or is a 6139-600X president.
Hi Jon,

Thanks for taking a look. The 1/2 bracelet is very flat and not rounded like a President.

Here is a pile of old handwind watches and after winding they are running. The Empty Case is Very Interesting - marked Hamilton to the inside. Super thin with very thin, long lugs and very rounded back.

A group of end links. 4 are marked XBA85IL and after a quick google search looks like they go to a 7546 SilverWave.

·
Special Member
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I was finally able to take a look at the 6138 JPS. Crystal is heavily scratched and needs to be replaced, pushers are stuck, and looks like in need of service. Always a bonus to find these vintage Seikos with the original Bracelet. Usually when purchasing you never really know if the bracelets will be long enough or if they have been shortened. I got lucky as this bracelet easily fit my 7 1/4" inch wrist but discovered it also has extra links in the clasp. Bracelet looks full size with no removed links and fully extended will fit up to a 8 1/2" inch gorilla wrist. Super Extra Bonus :)

41 - 60 of 113 Posts