The Watch Site banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to think that automatic was the way to go but now I am not so sure any more. If you only have, or wear one watch, then that is fine to go with the automatic . The problem is when you have multiple watches and need to set the automatic to wear it . I wouldn't mind if it was just the time but when you have other functions, such as the date, it becomes a hassle. Someone said to just leave the date but it would bother me to not have the correct date showing . Then there are also watch winders and I do own a couple of them but I don't know if it is good for a watch to always be rotating and not resting ?

So what do you think , Automatic or the convenience and accuracy of Quartz ? Which do you prefer , if you are going rotate your watch from among several that you own ?

·
Special Member
1,974 Posts
I'm going to throw a third option in. The no date hand winder is my preference these days. Unfortunately there aren't enough Seikos with this configuration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
I used to hate quartz and only use mechanical. I then learned about vintage quartz divers from Seiko, and came to appreciate them.

Not a fan of regular quartz, but of higher end quartz watches that have jewels and were meant to be serviceable (such as Seiko 7c43 and quartz used in the Bond Seamaster).

·
Special Member
2,114 Posts
Like you, I started out in the frame of mind that automatic/mechanical was the only way to go. In the early days, the few quartz watches I had went into the back of the drawer. But as I've lived with automatics in this hobby for years now, I've started gravitating back towards quartz. I like the physical interaction with an automatic (e.g., having to wind it, set it, etc.), but I also have begun to appreciate unique aspects of quartz (not worrying about magnetism, not worrying about crown wear from constantly setting the time as I rotate through my collection, grab and go convenience, etc.). I also came to appreciate the tremendous among of ingenuity and technology that went in to developing the concept of quartz movements in the beginning, which was a pretty astonishing paradigm shift from both automatic/mechanicals, but also the early electronic movements (this video is a great discussion of quartz). Also, like @coffee mentioned, the quartz watches that capture my interest are the ones with a little something extra: better build quality (e.g., 7548, 7c43), higher accuracy (8F, 9F, or Citizen's Chronomaster), the independent hour hands that make travel so much easier (e.g., Omega's quartzes, higher end Citizen and GS movements)....the little things that elevate it from a "common" quartz.

·
Registered
SEIKO 6105-8110 150m Diver PROOF
1,193 Posts
I used to think that automatic was the way to go but now I am not so sure any more. If you only have, or wear one watch, then that is fine to go with the automatic . The problem is when you have multiple watches and need to set the automatic to wear it . I wouldn't mind if it was just the time but when you have other functions, such as the date, it becomes a hassle. Someone said to just leave the date but it would bother me to not have the correct date showing . Then there are also watch winders and I do own a couple of them but I don't know if it is good for a watch to always be rotating and not resting ?

So what do you think , Automatic or the convenience and accuracy of Quartz ? Which do you prefer , if you are going rotate your watch from among several that you own ?
I am more mechanical guy. Allow me to suggest a couple of alternatives.

First, you can go for an automatic with hand winding and power reserve indicator. Some Seiko and many Orient models fit into this category. They are relatively affordable as well. So you can leave them unworn but also keep them running by rewinding them everytime the power reserve drops below certain level.

Second, you can have manual winding time only (no date) watch that will not bother you with resetting the date. There are not many modern Seiko models in this category except for a small number of Grand Seiko with 9S64 cal. However, for vintage Seiko there are more nice and affordable models such as Lord Marvel, 44KS and 45KS.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am more mechanical guy. Allow me to suggest a couple of alternatives.

First, you can go for an automatic with hand winding and power reserve indicator. Some Seiko and many Orient models fit into this category. They are relatively affordable as well. So you can leave them unworn but also keep them running by rewinding them everytime the power reserve drops below certain level.

Second, you can have manual winding time only (no date) watch that will not bother you with resetting the date. There are not many modern Seiko models in this category except for a small number of Grand Seiko with 9S64 cal. However, for vintage Seiko there are more nice and affordable models such as Lord Marvel, 44KS and 45KS.
I used to have an Emporio Armani watch that had a power reserve indicator. The power reserve indicator was never accurate though. I sent it back to be repaired but it still wasn't accurate . So finally I just returned the watch and received a credit for it . With the credit I bought a watch for my Mother .

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have my Citizen Eco-drive diver ready for every occasion as a daily watch, but also as a backup if one of the automatics in rotation stops. While I enjoy that watch as much as any automatic, from time to time I just feel an urge to put a sweeping seconds hand on my wrist. A perfect all around watch for me would be a solar powered Grand Seiko diver :)

·
35,412 Posts
Cheap no-date handwinder -- Ess Minimal, under $20 and very accurate for its price range. (Advertised as automatic, but it's really a handwinder; to be expected for that price.)

(Vendor image)

Watch Analog watch Rectangle Watch accessory Clock

·
First Lady
2,992 Posts

If you love watches, and have many in rotation, mostly autos, it’s a pleasure to correctly set time and date, when you switch to a new one. It’s not a hassle, at all. Most have a quickset date function, so it takes very little “time” to set it. Pun intended.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts