The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a job lot of Timex electric watches from the US, to get going/use as spares.

Amongst the haul was this very early M67 back crown watch.

I was very keen to get this one up and running as my previous back crown Timex watches were either M84 or M87 ones, so this one is one of the first Timex electrics, with the West German made DuRoWe 861 movement,

which is much more refined in its construction than the cheaper, mass produced, M84 ones
M84 movement as a comparison....

Anyway, stripped, cleaned and regulated it and with the crystal refinished, quite an improvement.

At this point I decided to try to research and find what sort of strap was fitted to it when it left the factory in 1963/4. This is where the story gets interesting.....
I found out that this identical watch was owned by one of the NASA Astronauts in the early 1960's......

Sadly the story becomes somewhat tragic here as the astronaut in question was Roger Chaffee, who along with Gus Grissom and Ed White, died in the Apollo 1 tragedy in 1967. It appears that he was actually wearing the watch on the day, as it was returned, along with his wedding ring, to his family before his burial in Arlington Cemetery.
The watch was auctioned by his family in 2009, some details here...

I finally did find a contemporary advert for the watch in question, though dated '1965' it may well have the later M84 movement.......(just noticed that the font for the 12, 3, 6 & 9 indices on the dial is of a more 'modern' style, and there is no 'lume' on the hands or dial on the watch in the advert, so this would strengthen this hypothesis...)

which confirmed the fact that it would have been supplied with a Spiedel expanding bracelet, as seen on Roger Chaffee's watch. While I'm not keen on these, for authenticities sake, I will try to get a vintage one for my watch...

·
Registered
8,314 Posts
what an excellent find and a nice bit of research - thanks for sharing. that's an interesting one to hold on to.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Very cool find and great info
Thank you for sharing it with us my friend
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the compliments..
As a follow up to this I have found that Roger Chaffee's watch now resides at the Kennedy Space Centre Florida, where it has it's own display cabinet.:cool:

·
Registered
136 Posts
That one online article says this: "Since the construction contained a balance with a coil and a switching contact, it’s lifetime was pretty low, after about ten years or 2 billions of contact actions, the contacts were worn off."

Can you tell if the contacts are something that can be replaced? Did you happen to note anything remarkable about the condition of the contacts in your watch that would align with this statement in the article - any visible wear?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That one online article says this: "Since the construction contained a balance with a coil and a switching contact, it’s lifetime was pretty low, after about ten years or 2 billions of contact actions, the contacts were worn off."

Can you tell if the contacts are something that can be replaced? Did you happen to note anything remarkable about the condition of the contacts in your watch that would align with this statement in the article - any visible wear?
Didn't have to go into any detail stripping down of the movement to get it running, gave the contact area a squirt of contact cleaner and away it went:cool:. Was running slow so did have to regulate it a bit....:)
I doubt that any spares are available for this movement, it was only made between 1962 and 1965. The same goes for the later versions though I was able to pick up five new old stock replacement movements for the M40 series electro mechanical watches (M40, M51, M52 etc) very cheaply from a guy in Poland.....
Used a couple of them already to resurrect watches with FUBAR'd movements....
This one ....
And this one, which I built up from scratch with new, old stock, parts...:cool:......

·
Registered
136 Posts
Those are awesome! Are you worried about the contacts wearing away? I think it would cause me to store them without the battery (to save the contacts) and then put a battery in if I wanted to wear it for a few days.....

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those are awesome! Are you worried about the contacts wearing away? I think it would cause me to store them without the battery (to save the contacts) and then put a battery in if I wanted to wear it for a few days.....
Well both of those have new old stock movements and are three generations newer than the M67 so if they last 10 years they might see me out:s_laugh:.
I've only got into Timex electro mechanical watches since Christmas and have already collected a few......;)
Some more here.......
I particularly like this one.....
Been buying them for peanuts and restoring them (much as I managed to amass a collection of early Seiko quartz analogue watches about 5 years ago, before people realised that they were collectable:57:)

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Well both of those have new old stock movements and are three generations newer than the M67 so if they last 10 years they might see me out:s_laugh:.
I've only got into Timex electro mechanical watches since Christmas and have already collected a few......;)
Some more here.......
I particularly like this one.....
Been buying them for peanuts and restoring them (much as I managed to amass a collection of early Seiko quartz analogue watches about 5 years ago, before people realised that they were collectable:57:)
Well thank you my friend for sharing them
Makes me want to start looking at these myself
Never knew there were so many options available there too
God Bless,John

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well thank you my friend for sharing them
Makes me want to start looking at these myself
Never knew there were so many options available there too
God Bless,John

If you do get interested in them John, (the vast majority of them are on eBay in the US, very cheap, eBay's 'wonderful' Global Shipping Programme generally makes them uneconomical for me to buy....), I have tracked down and copied (pdf format) quite a few of the original Timex service documents for these.......(though can't find anything for the early M67 movement ....perhaps I should be searching for DuRoWe 871 instead of Timex M67....?
John....

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
If you do get interested in them John, (the vast majority of them are on eBay in the US, very cheap, eBay's 'wonderful' Global Shipping Programme generally makes them uneconomical for me to buy....), I have tracked down and copied (pdf format) quite a few of the original Timex service documents for these.......(though can't find anything for the early M67 movement ....perhaps I should be searching for DuRoWe 871 instead of Timex M67....?
John....
Well my friend i would be honored to help i get anything u find online and ship it to you ...
have done this for a select close friends over the years and would extend this if u ever need it
Truly appreciate the offer too
I guess I should look and see what i can find...
i would like to find one and have one special Timex in the box
God Bless,John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts