The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Arrival Update - Ashtray question

Just snagged this slightly unusual Tuna off of the 'bay, and wondering where I might look to source a correct (golden numeral-ed) bezel insert?

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
hey that is one i have never seen...great find....

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I don't see many of these come up for air. You may be in for a long hunt. They've always caught my eye though, totally unique! Good luck with the hunt

·
Registered
931 Posts
" wondering where I might look to source a correct (golden numeral-ed) bezel insert"

I know this doesn't answer your question , but it's a look at "what if"

Fashion accessory Jewellery Circle Metal Earrings

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

·
Administrator
33,847 Posts
I believe Seiko never did a insert only on any of the bezel models only complete bezels.

7C46-6010 on the left and the 6009 on the right.

·
Administrator
33,847 Posts
Stan I believe these are almost as rare, i think we can call these rare ? almost as rare as Rocking horse droppings :(

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ashtray is: OD = 36.36mm, ID = 30.45m. The SKX011 is (I think) OD=38.00, ID=31.5. Plus it sounds like from TheTigerUK's post that it might be a 1-piece bezel?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I say that cos I thought the same with mine. And I believe mine is just faded..or there is some sneaky bezel swapper out there. Also one model is ss and the other titanium. I think you would notice tit on ss or vice versa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
578 Posts
I too think yours has faded, its a Seiko bezel for sure, the pip is the same as a genuine 6309 and these are always the giveaway ....on my monitor your photo looks like the numbers have a very slight pink hue rather than straight silver...

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay, this watch arrived yesterday, and what an emotional ride upon opening. I unpacked it and was elated to discover (as boid69 guessed might be the case) the bezel does have the correct gold numerals, but it is almost impossible to photograph it so they appear color-correct:

The rollercoaster started with that high (correct bezel) and immediately plunged as it looked like the hour hand had been 'swirling' the dial, leaving a very clear ring at the end of its arc. I rode the elevator heading out of my building despondent that now I was going to have to find a dial, or send it back as the seller never mentioned this. I put the watch in the pocket (no strap) and walked to the car. Half way to the car I pulled the watch out, just to try and make a decision (keep/return) when I noticed in the bright sunlight that the dial on this watch is stepped (my 1st ashtray), and right where the hour hand's arc is. The dial wasn't marked up, it was the step in the dial that had me thinking it was damaged, that and the crummy fluorescent lighting in my office.

So, after the ups and down, I got it home, onto a strap, and am now enjoying it. The one question that remains concerns the case material. The case back says stainless steel, but the watch seems far to light to be SS, I suspect it might be a Titanium with a SS back, or a back from a SS version? Anyone know how to determine a metal without doing something destructive. I know I don't want to take a magnet to it.....

Another pic:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts