The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
more and more of a sensible option (imo).

I picked this up in the last few days purely for what spares I can gather from it.

The temptation is always not to part out and restore but now and again imo it is better too part out because instead of bringing one watch back to life the parts can be used to bring a few watches up to scratch.

Lets analyse what you get parts wise and the current value of a donor.

This one has water inclusion damage as can be seen.

• Bezel =$10
  • Crystal retaining ring=$15
  • Chapter ring=$10
  • Nice dial=$40
  • Crown complete with two piece stem=$30
  • Case & caseback (TST ?)=$40
  • Movement holder=$5
  • Dial ring=$5
  • Coil(working)=$20
  • CB(working)=$20
  • Battery strap and screws=$20
  • Main plate, screws and other usable movement parts=$25
So if individual parts were to be sourced it could be worth in the region of $240 ish ?, total cost to me was £35 ($55).

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
That was a good find John. I've seen some of those spares sell for more then you've valued them at so you might be under estimating their value. Could just be Old Age??

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I'm with you 100% on this too. When a watch comes up on eBay that has obvious damage to parts that are hard to source like a dial or hands my focus quickly turn on well what parts are good and what is their value? Then finally I rummage through my large bin of watches patiently waiting their turn on the bench and see what the potential is that I could need spares of this caliber when one of these does hit the bench. I would estimate about 25% of all of the Seiko's I buy on eBay I buy with the only intention of breaking it down into components then putting the good parts in the small plastic bags and marking them then what ever else is rusted broken gets swept right of the bench into the can. It does eat up a lot of my time to break them down and inventory them but being a retired type person I have the time and I almost never have to purchase parts. Just to give you an idea here is a bin of just the Seiko crystals I keep on hand for personal consumption.

I believe anyone who does not by that beat down Seiko for 10 quid is making a mistake that will only be more costly as the years go by.

Michael

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it arrived today and i got a chance to bring in the "harvest", I suspect the user had forgot to screw the crown in which allowed the water to get in and do the damage.

All the important parts are good so a nice result, case good, back good, crown good, coil good, CB good and plenty of bits and bobs, unfortunately the dial and hands were scrap..

Cleaned the case up and hopefully time permitting it will live again very soon but in a different way :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Very good indeed. I've turned to this "harvesting" method, when it became apparent that a NOS item was simply just silly to buy, when a complete/half complete watch was just as "cheap", in regards to the return on spares. Really need to get an ultrasonic cleaner, that case has come up a treat.
Kind regards, David

·
Registered
400 Posts
What comes to mind to me is that you guys who have the knowledge, skill, time, and well deserved reputation are doing the whole community a favor by doing what you are doing.

You fully deserve to make some well earned money for doing it if you are so inclined to pursue that route.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I don't personally buy toasted watches for the spare parts inside, maybe I should start.

I do harvest crowns, stems and crystals. When I find a runner that needs these items I check to see if I already have them, then bid accordingly. I find this a relaxing way to be a hobbyist.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I find that sometimes ones that I have bought for spares, turn out to be better than expected so they become a project. Trouble is then you have to buy another for spares. Bit of a roller coaster really. Perhaps I should be more ruthless.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I find that sometimes ones that I have bought for spares, turn out to be better than expected so they become a project. Trouble is then you have to buy another for spares. Bit of a roller coaster really. Perhaps I should be more ruthless.
I get it. Been there done that. That's why I'm trying to source a new 7009 movement as we speak !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts