The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big thanks to Higuchi-san! :)

Package arrived today from Oita, Japan to Miami, Fl in just 4 days :-* :-* That's what I call top notch service!

Without any further introductions, here is my new Seiko Spirit Radiowave Solar SBFG001:

The unboxing ceremony.....

Nice JP Post box. Good luck reading the instructions! :))

And here it is.... All neatly packed and fresh after the 5,883 mile/9,467 km journey from Higuchi's display case:

Opening the box reveals the Seiko international warranty booklet, stamped warranty card, instruction manual in Japanese and English (Very comprehensive manual BTW) and of course, the watch:

And here is the SBFG001 wrapped in its factory plastic:

Removing the plastic bag reveals a handsome and very retro looking Seiko digital. Is this 1978 or what? O0

Initial out-of-the-box impressions are very favorable :-* This is a very nicely finished piece with a combination of brushed and polished finishes just like the original LCD watches of the 70s and 80s:

The case is very angular almost forming a perfect rectangle....

The most pleasant surprise about this watch is how clear and well contrasted the negative LCD display is. This is an area where this Seiko clearly trumps my now departed Junghans Mega 1000. Nice, big and legible screen characters.

The watch checks around 136g in weight. This falls in the ball park of a Seiko SARB mechanical. Very nice, feels just right without being cheap:

The sides of the case are highly polished. I believe the Power Design Project version SBPG001 are completely brushed:

Nice and classic side profile....

I am really digging the oyster styled bracelet in this new version. Nice solid links. The classic signed Seiko clasp with only 2 adjustment holes. The fold over clasp is stamped steel something that you may expect to find at this price on a JDM watch:

Ahhh, do I see hollow end links? Yep, this one has them (Whereas the SBPG001 are solid, I think). Not a biggie, this was almost a given :))

Side profile of the watch. The sides of the links are polished while the outer surfaces are brushed. The watch is made in China (Oh, the horror!!! :)) ) but you can tell its is made to Seiko's usual high quality control standards. Quite frankly, I can not find a fault anywhere on this piece

The design clearly adheres to the KISS principle just like its predecessors from the quartz revolution did....

Mr. Bond, here is your watch:

The negative LCD display is drop dead gorgeous and perhaps one of the best I have seen. The black background hides some of the empty screen spaces very well. It just looks great and has to be appreciated in person...

As far as I can tell, this baby is a keeper....

Another view at the classic pressed in case back. Being solar, it is very likely you won't have to open it for a very, very long time. The watch has a water resist rating of 100m or 10 bar which clearly is an improvement from most vintage LCDs that you were lucky to get beyond "water resist" on any of them:

I love how the screen always displays the home (or world time) regardless of the function selected. Very cool O0 O0

Here is the Chronograph...

This is a 10 hour chrono by the way.

The timer....

The contrast of the LCD screen is perfect my friends under most lighting conditions. By the way, the crystal is Seiko's hallmark Hardlex mineral. Sorry, no sapphire at this price point.

Here is a side profile shot of the tastefully executed solid oyster bracelet:

A couple of quick and dirties with today's watch companion, my SARB033:

If you have a soft spot for digital watches and been lusting for something that is dressier than a Casio G-Shock and pays homage to vintage LCD watches of yesteryear with 21st century build quality and features (and without braking the bank), look no further to these Seiko Spirits..

Nice contrast from the negative LCD screen

I plan to do a more in depth video review of this baby come next week. As a matter of fact, I have 8 video reviews in the queue so I have my work cut out for the next few weeks.

Hope you enjoy. I am ready to take your questions or comments ;D

·
Registered
715 Posts
Congrats! A very sharp looking piece. I like the negative display much better than the positive one of the SBPG001.
Thanks for all the photos and detailed impressions.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
I'm really liking this.
One Q.
Does it have any night light mode?
If it does, what color?

Congrats!!!

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Time said:
I'm really liking this.
One Q.
Does it have any night light mode?
If it does, what color?

Congrats!!!

Yes, great question!

Indeed, it does have screen backlighting. The color is cool blue. I'll post a pic later tonight.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Time said:
excellent!
Does it have an alarm like the old ones did?

Sure it does. Let me give you a quick low down on the specs:

Radio controlled atomic clock sync (Japan, USA, UK, Germany) 5 bands
Solar charging system (3 month power reserve and 11 months in extended Sleep power reserve mode)
Built in backlight (EL:Electroluminescent Light)
Hardlex mineral crystal
Solid stainless steel bracelet
Charge level indicator with charge warning
Count down timer (9 hours 59 mins maximum)
Chronograph 1/100 sec increments (10 hours)
Dual time display
World time for 32 cities around the world
Automatic adjustment for DST time
Perpetual calendar
Alarm (up to 3 alarms can be set) 24 hour based
Switching between local time and home time.
Automatic radio reception status
On demand manual atomic clock radio reception

The only thing it doesn't have is an hourly chime.

·
Administrator
30,133 Posts
minidriver said:
Sure it does. Let me give you a quick low down on the specs:

Radio controlled atomic clock sync (Japan, USA, UK, Germany) 5 bands
Solar charging system (3 month power reserve and 11 months in extended Sleep power reserve mode)
Built in backlight (EL:Electroluminescent Light)
Hardlex mineral crystal
Solid stainless steel bracelet
Charge level indicator with charge warning
Count down timer (9 hours 59 mins maximum)
Chronograph 1/100 sec increments (10 hours)
Dual time display
World time for 32 cities around the world
Automatic adjustment for DST time
Perpetual calendar
Alarm (up to 3 alarms can be set) 24 hour based
Switching between local time and home time.
Automatic radio reception status
On demand manual atomic clock radio reception

The only thing it doesn't have is an hourly chime.
Thats some specs, i used to love my retro digitals, actually i still have a soft spot for them, that is some watch, nice addition :)

·
Registered
862 Posts
Congrats! Beautiful review. Top notch unveiling. :) Enjoyed it thoroughly. Katsu told me mine would be in the mail by tomorrow. Looking forward to it landing. This will hold me over. Awesome review man!! Sweeeeetttt!

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jan-10 said:
Congrats! Beautiful review. Top notch unveiling. :) Enjoyed it thoroughly. Katsu told me mine would be in the mail by tomorrow. Looking forward to it landing. This will hold me over. Awesome review man!! Sweeeeetttt!

Awesome Jay. I think you are in for a treat >:D

Yours should be getting to you by early next week. Can't wait to see your photos and impressions.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Pretty cool. Looks bigger than I was expecting.

The dual time is a nice feature. A few of the Casios have that and I like it.

The best thing is having the time displayed in all modes. Casio really drops the ball on this feature on most of the modern models.

·
Registered
822 Posts
With respect to functions, there's not much more you could ask for in a watch!

Just one question -- how does the "automatic adjustment for DST time" work? Does it have to synchronise with a time signal for this to happen?

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Sweet watch!! Any chance of a wrist shot?

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sir said:
With respect to functions, there's not much more you could ask for in a watch!

Just one question -- how does the "automatic adjustment for DST time" work? Does it have to synchronise with a time signal for this to happen?
Hi Les, indeed the DST function can either be selected manually or it is updated automatically via atomic clock radio signal.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts