The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I bought a cheap fixer upper....I bought the required parts and set to work.

Unfortunately the broken part was more broken than I expected....

The stem was broken. I figured, quick push of the button, a bit of a shake and the stem would come out in my tweezers.

ALAS! the stem was broken in 2 places...once on the threads and once on on the narrow part. How on earth do I get this piece out without tearing my hair out? Or disassembling to get at the keyless works?

PLEASE help!

The movement is a 7D48 Kinetic and for a starter watch it is a little complicated...(I am also gonna do the capacitor while I am in there...):confused:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankyou. It is a bit daunting for me. I did grab the files and it seems to make sense. Not much detail on winding stem.

A worry I have is I wound it for a bit hoping something would disengage and the stem piece would fall out...have it crown down ..its running and the day wheels turn just by shaking. Could that be because of the stem piece being loose. Confused and worried this is going to be an expensive experiment

·
Super Moderator
3,017 Posts
ALAS! the stem was broken in 2 places...once on the threads and once on on the narrow part. How on earth do I get this piece out without tearing my hair out? Or disassembling to get at the keyless works?
Yes, I'd say the 7D48 isn't where you want to start things out. But if you must, a few things I'd offer:

I wouldn't go through the dial side, not only is it a tangled web in more ways than one, I don't think it will as easily expose the stem as the bridge side will.

Before you dismantle anything, maybe try one or two more methods for coaxing the stem fragment out. My mind goes to a very small vacuum nozzle, or a magnetized needle, as two methods of attraction that may not require dismantling.

I won't preach anymore on why dismantling is a bad idea, but I'll let the first photo speak for itself (which is actually after a third of the dial side parts have already been removed). The second and third photos show the bridge side, where the setting parts are actually located, contrary to traditional design.

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Terrifies me. Will tackle it when I can. Thanks for the info. Keep more detailed tips coming please.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Page 10/11/12 can be magnified a lot to show the stem and surrounding parts.
Part 3 gives excellent views of the stem and surroundings.
I'd follow Noah's suggestions and try a magnetized needle or maybe a sewing pin with a small head. You can just put a neodymium magnet on one end of the needle to give you good magnetic oooomph.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Riyleynp, I must apologise for my ignorance on the movement, I should of researched abit before I answered. I thought it was a standard mechanical movement not a quartz. I will take more notice next time before answering haha

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now I gotta brave the repair and post pics....maybe this weekend

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts