The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take a look at this watch (I removed the name brand):

For a social dress watch, I think it looks ok, reminds me of a Tag Grand Carrera. Maybe not something for every day, but I definitively would wear it in a jacket & tie event.

With that said, for those who didn't recognize the brand, it's from Azzaro - yeah, the perfume brand. Would you wear it ::) ?

I'm definitively prejudiced, and would not wear it :eek: . The same goes for a Bvlgari, Armani or the likes. It may look good, may even have a decent movement (this Azzaro has an ETA quartz heart) but being a "fashion watch" kills it for me in a way that I feel it would be a sin for me to wear it. I'm fairly knowledgeable about watches, to the point of even lusting more for a MM300 then an Omega PO or SM, so how in blazes can I put a lowly fashion watch on my wrist?

If it was the only watch I owned, or maybe if it was a gift from someone VERY dear to me I could swallow my pride and wear it, but if not in those extreme situations I would never use it.

What about you guys?

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
This one is easy for me, I just don't like it and wouldn't even if it said Seiko. There are very few modern watches that appeal to me personally.

·
Registered
547 Posts
FWIW, any watch company that sells jewelry also could be considered a "fashion watch". Cartier? Chopard? Would you wear one? Ralph Lauren has dipped his toe in the water and is now selling men's automatics (quite pricey too, I hear). Ralph's a WIS, so he's made sure his watches are top of the line mechanically, collaborating with the Richemont group to produce them. Are they "fashion watches"?

At the other end of the scale you have Nautica and Fossil. Each company actually produces some good looking timepieces, although they are primarily considered purveyors of men's fashion accessories.

Could I wear any of those listed above? Yeah, I'd be OK with it. I actually own a Chopard. I don't think of it as a "fashion watch". There are some companies though that I'd not be able to bring myself to wear, such as Gucci and David Yurman. For whatever reason, they don't seem to have earned their "props" as legitimate watch companies. And there are some watch companies that used to be legit that are sliding down the hill toward "fashion watch" status (Movado). I couldn't wear their stuff either.

It's a good question. I don't think there is an easy answer.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Hi,
I guess I am prejudiced ;) . I would rather wear this Seiko quartz.

Nearly all fashion brands have gotten onto the "fashion watch" bandwagon. Obviously there's money to be made when you can buy the case, dial, hands, band, movement, battery, etc for $10 in Shenzen, have it all assembled for an extra $1, and shipped across the oceans in a small container for an extra $0.50, and then sell it in your own shop for $200 or more.
Cheers,

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeff, I wouldn't put Chopard and Cartier in the same boat as the other brands cited because though they do make jewelry, they have been making watches for a long time, so in my book they have earned the status of a "proper" watch brand. Other brands, like Ralph Lauren and even Montblanc, even though they make quality watches, I just can't see them as proper or legit watch brands. In my eyes they are fashion brands that are also trying to milk the watch cow.

Andrew, now that watch I would easily wear! To me that's a nice watch from a proper watch brand

·
Registered
29,146 Posts
Looks like a lefty chrono. Anyone know why the "0" indicator on the outer ring is at the 3:00 position? (And count me out on this one and most "fashion" watches.) ::)

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
what is it...a chronograph? I don't know what those subdials are doing.

I wouldn't wear the watch, but I do like parts of it. I like the hand set and the bezel looks interesting, assuming that isn't a shadow at 3 and 9.

Everything else seems OK. Dial has some potential, but too gaudy for me. The subtlety in Andrew's Seiko is much more acceptable to my eyes.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
LUW said:
Jeff, I wouldn't put Chopard and Cartier in the same boat as the other brands cited because though they do make jewelry, they have been making watches for a long time, so in my book they have earned the status of a "proper" watch brand. Other brands, like Ralph Lauren and even Montblanc, even though they make quality watches, I just can't see them as proper or legit watch brands. In my eyes they are fashion brands that are also trying to milk the watch cow.

Andrew, now that watch I would easily wear! To me that's a nice watch from a proper watch brand .
[/quote]
You are quite right about Cartier: they actually manufactured the first wristwatch ever for aviator Santos Dumont, as a special order. Santos Dumont needed both hands to fly his "dirigibles" and later his airplanes, he couldn't bother with a pocket watch.
The wristwatch concept was born out of necessity, not fashion. I can't afford any of Cartier's high end pieces, and I certainly wouldn't put them in the same bag as "fashion watches".
I guess in this forum we all share the same taste for quality watches, and we all pay attention to small details that Seiko and other proper watchmakers have worked on for a long time, things that are obvious to us but invisible to untrained eyes. Why? Because we have handled proper watches, worn them on our wrists and examined them carefully. Lesser watches from fashion brands just fail to impress us.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Somebody please set me straight, but though the original Santos is usually believed to be the first, I don't think the honor goes to Cartier for creating the first wrist watch. However Santos Dumont did commission a wrist watch from Cartier (the tank styled that was later christened as "Santos") to keep both of his hands free while piloting his flying machines.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
LUW said:
Take a look at this watch (I removed the name brand):
[/center]
For a social dress watch, I think it looks ok, reminds me of a Tag Grand Carrera. Maybe not something for every day, but I definitively would wear it in a jacket & tie event.

With that said, for those who didn't recognize the brand, it's from Azzaro - yeah, the perfume brand. Would you wear it ::) ?

I'm definitively prejudiced, and would not wear it :o . The same goes for a Bvlgari, Armani or the likes. It may look good, may even have a decent movement (this Azzaro has an ETA quartz heart) but being a "fashion watch" kills it for me in a way that I feel it would be a sin for me to wear it. I'm fairly knowledgeable about watches, to the point of even lusting more for a MM300 then an Omega PO or SM, so how in blazes can I put a lowly fashion watch on my wrist?

If it was the only watch I owned, or maybe if it was a gift from someone VERY dear to me I could swallow my pride and wear it, but if not in those extreme situations I would never use it.

What about you guys?
[/quote]

Not prejudiced; just don't like it at all :(

If I can't tell what time it is with a quick glance, it just isn't a watch!​

·
Registered
29,146 Posts
"If I can't tell what time it is with a quick glance, it just isn't a watch!"

By that criteria, the green-dialed watch isn't a watch; the black-dialed one is. ;D

Attachments

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Thanks Norm,

You make my point admirably ;)

But I guess I could modify my statement to read..."If I can't tell what time it is with a quick glance, it just isn't a watch to me!" :))

·
Registered
964 Posts
normdiaz said:
"If I can't tell what time it is with a quick glance, it just isn't a watch!"

By that criteria, the green-dialed watch isn't a watch; the black-dialed one is. ;D
You should for sure participate in the Photo contest this month as the theme is "magic" :)) !

Cheers,

Axel

·
Registered
29,146 Posts
Axel66 said:
You should for sure participate in the Photo contest this month as the theme is "magic" :)) !

Cheers,

Axel
O.K., Axel. I'm probably dense, but what's the connection to "magic", serious or comedic, that you see? In any event, I would in no way pit my puny photographic equipment/skills :( aganst the formidable competition that's been appearing in past photo contests.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
normdiaz said:
O.K., Axel. I'm probably dense, but what's the connection to "magic", serious or comedic, that you see? In any event, I would in no way pit my puny photographic equipment/skills :( aganst the formidibale competition that's been appearing in past photo contests.
Norm,

If I can win one then anybody can :-\

Enter it for the simple joy of participating; expect nothing and be surprised that one or many folks like what you have done O0
One of my many entries piqued the interest of a majority of voters. My reward was the recognition of a fluke shot I took...worth more than any prize offered :)

Just do it!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since people usually vote for the watch and not the pic, or at least give the subject too much consideration in spite of the pic, everybody has a chance.

·
Registered
29,146 Posts
burntb4 said:
Strangely enough, some of the best looking watches were made by Timex - until you take the back off.
Well, don't keep us in suspense. What will we expect to see when we take the back off? ;D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts