The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
30,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you won't win the item ?

I have never done it, could never see the point and on a couple of occasions the item i thought would reach a certain price dident and i lost out but.........

Well earlier this week I placed a bid equal to about 4 times the amount i have ever paid for a watch(Seiko)knowing if by some miracle i won i would struggle to pay for it but knowing in my heart i hadent got a chance and within hours I was out bid.

Why do we do it ?(first time) I think for me the reason was just so that i could tell myself i had bid on a XXXX-XXXX :)

Sad or what ? :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yeah, I sort of do it, but usually a snipe , the amount of times I have not bothered because I just know it would sell for loads, only to see it end way below what I thought it would go for , so yes, I do speculate , but rarely win, but it's a 'just maybe ' insurance......

·
Registered
473 Posts
If it's out my league, or likely to go out my league, I don't bid, do like to watch it though, see where it goes. Drives the missus wild as well :). I'd also get the bidders fever if I just placed a flippant bid. When I do bid, I bin to win, obviously.

Regards, David

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all. I do bid on ebay items even if I know I'm not likely to win. For me, that's part of the fun--the chance that I could win.

I use the automatic/maximum bid feature for items I like but are not absolute "must haves". I just enter my maximum bid and let it ride. On those happy occasions that I do win, it's a pleasant surprise to find that "You've won an item you bid on" email in my inbox. :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
I do this constantly, always with snipes via a free service. I'd say probably have average one snipe in a day, and win an average of one per week. I'd say in the last five years I've had at least ten total "what the heck - I won with that???" moments. They're the highlight of my month :). Overall, the wasted effort is worth it!

Honestly, until this question, I assumed it was a universal WIS trait in this day and age - guess I'm a weird one!

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Never done it that way

I don't see any reason in doing it that way. I look for a item
watch it now and then and if I have the BID CASH , I continue
to just browse it.
If the BID is starting low I just watch it, but if it is riding and
I can do it I shoot it at a very last period of time and then BID
something over what is showing.
Most of the time I get what I am after. But I have a little strategy
set up and I always get it at a vey good low price.
Looks does not deceive me at all. I ask a few questions and that's it.
I have always made out on a buying that I have did, and continue too
over and over again.
I am not a trick bidder just a .............." Smart and Cautious one ".
Works every time .

·
Registered
812 Posts
after so many times being out bid by one dollar by the auto bots I gave up, now I bid what I am willing to pay and if I don't win i pout a lot

·
Registered
773 Posts
after so many times being out bid by one dollar by the auto bots I gave up, now I bid what I am willing to pay and if I don't win i pout a lot
Yes same with me, I put in a maximum bid and if I get it good, if not too bad. It's the only way I think. And if it's something really "Grailish" the sky's the limit.

·
Administrator
30,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do this constantly, always with snipes via a free service. I'd say probably have average one snipe in a day, and win an average of one per week. I'd say in the last five years I've had at least ten total "what the heck - I won with that???" moments. They're the highlight of my month :). Overall, the wasted effort is worth it!

Honestly, until this question, I assumed it was a universal WIS trait in this day and age - guess I'm a weird one!
I do put snipes in and forget all about them but the price is a genuine price i would be willing to pay and hopefully less :)

Correct it did begin 6159 and I knew my bid had no chance but ................:)

·
Registered
542 Posts
If the watch is within my budget I try to place a bid. It doesn't hurt and maybe if I'm lucky no one else interested in the watch is looking...

·
Registered
812 Posts
Im afraid you got outbid by someone who was prepared to pay more, nothing to do with the bots.....
Yes Jason I thought that was obvious, but I am sorry for not being more clear, its taken me a long time to get past the feeling oh if I had just bid two more dollors etc, the whole mind set.

·
Monkey Steals Peach
1,851 Posts
Yeah, I've done that plenty, and recently it paid off handsomely! I placed a snipe on this O&W Caribbean 1000m thinking there was no way in hell that I'd win, and to my most pleasant surprise...I did! I still can't believe it slipped through at the price I got it for. :)

·
Monkey Steals Peach
1,851 Posts
Correct it did begin 6159 and I knew my bid had no chance but ................:)

Yeah, that was a real looker. I wanted to bid too, and would have found a way to pay for it if it'd been around $3g's, but I knew there was no way it was going to stay there :-(. I sure hope it was one of is that one though....anyone going to fess up?!?!

·
Administrator
30,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, that was a real looker. I wanted to bid too, and would have found a way to pay for it if it'd been around $3g's, but I knew there was no way it was going to stay there :-(. I sure hope it was one of is that one though....anyone going to fess up?!?!
I keep imagining what it would look like once the crystal had been changed, why do we do this to ourselves ? :)

ps: I thought it would actually fetch more.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Well, I bid on the second 6159 that went...got sniped at the last moment, but I'm ok with that. I guess you have to set limits somewhere...or at least that makes me feel better. ;)

Would be interesting to see that one in the flesh case-wise as the pictures were pretty grainy.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts