The Watch Site banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
I fall into the fewer more $ category

Rolex submariner 14060m
Omega speedmaster professional pre moon 861.
Sinn 157 st lemania 5100
Smiths prs68
Ocean 7 LM-7
Seiko 6139 6002
Seiko 6309 7040
Seiko 6138 bullhead.
Seiko LC front button.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have a few Breitlings and Longines (what I call my high end watches), but I tend to buy broken ones then get them repaired. I can't afford the price to buy a tidy working one in one lump, but several lesser payments to get a nice one works for me.
Having said that bargains do come along from time to time, also taking a £500 (about half the going rate) punt on a fuzzy picture yielded a very nice vintage Breitling Datora Chrono.
I find it hard to say no, so I've now got far too many watches, both cheap and expensive!

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
I have a few Breitlings and Longines (what I call my high end watches), but I tend to buy broken ones then get them repaired. I can't afford the price to buy a tidy working one in one lump, but several lesser payments to get a nice one works for me.
Having said that bargains do come along from time to time, also taking a £500 (about half the going rate) punt on a fuzzy picture yielded a very nice vintage Breitling Datora Chrono.
I find it hard to say no, so I've now got far too many watches, both cheap and expensive!
Yup thats the way it seems to be but this year they have to start going :)

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Difficult. I've got cheap watches that turned into expensive ones after I repaired them, I've got cheap watches only weird collectors would like and I've got expensive watches that are only expensive because they are rare and only a few collectors would want them. (everybody else don't even notice those watches)

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Interesting that just about the self same post came up on another forum I participate a couple of days back ;-)

As for myself: for the last years I have mainly focussed on vintage, and the collection peaked at a 3-digit amount somewhen last year.

Since then however, my interested moved a bit more to contemporary pieces, which tend to cost a good bit more, so i have been trimming my collection ever since and on average buy considerably less, but more expensive pieces...

Best
Hermann

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Numbers over price to start, but as the count has climbed, I find myself moving up the price spectrum, while trying to keep the numbers down. ~100 watches right now, and that's just silly, so as I consolidate, sometimes 3 watches become 1 more expensive watch.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Numbers over price to start, but as the count has climbed, I find myself moving up the price spectrum, while trying to keep the numbers down. ~100 watches right now, and that's just silly, so as I consolidate, sometimes 3 watches become 1 more expensive watch.
Exactly :)
Sometimes also 5-8 pieces for a more expensive watch...

Best
Hermann

·
Registered
29 Posts
I prefer to pay for watches that need no work but are still useable. I guess then I would generally pay a little more, but have a little less.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Having gone through the buy everything, more quantity is more phase I now pay what is necessary to acquire watches for my themed collection which is 6138/9 based. As far as other watches go I am much more discerning and am prepared to flip a bunch of out of favour watches for one expensive new one or a rare chrono, or save up for what I want. Golden Tuna and Grand Seiko right now.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Due to my changing interests, I have moved from buying expensive watches to watches mostly only costing a few hundred pounds.

Vintage Seiko divers are highly collectable and very affordable. Some of the harder to find examples can priced into four figures, but those are being funded by the higher cost Swiss watches that are on their way out.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I am all over the map. I love my Swiss watches and continue to add "cornerstone" pieces from that area but "finding" vintage Seiko about 2 years ago has allowed me to add a lot more quantity for A LOT less money. Yes, I have way too many watches but unless I am traveling, I try to rotate very often.

The bottom line: I buy it if I like it whether it's $50 or more...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Expensive is always a relative term, until recently I would have considered anything over 30 GBP expensive for my collection that had no particular theme. I would buy the occasional watch (mostly Swiss) that took my fancy but could not normally justify spending a lot.
Around the middle of 2014 I decided to try doing my own servicing and Seikos semed an inexpensive way to practise as if I messed up the movement in a watch I particularly liked it is not difficult to find a spare. I consequently bought lots of really cheap Seikos and became familiar with the different movements.
As a result of this I discovered the wide range of dial finishes they offer and the movements I prefer. The most expensive last year was 150 GBP for a 6139 but as I move into 2015 I think I will buy less but more expensive. In fact my first purchase in 2015 was a 1930's Omega with hopefully a SARB in the near future.
Tony

·
Registered
400 Posts
I think the great thing about collecting Seikos is that you can run the whole gamut from quite affordable watches to some pretty pricey pieces.

And I do... run the whole gamut.

·
Registered
774 Posts
My biggest problem is buying junk yard dogs. They start out cheap but then the costs mount. As someone said here, a $100 watch can soon cost $300, so you might as well buy a $300 watch. I say where is the fun in that? HA HA!!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
My biggest problem is buying junk yard dogs. They start out cheap but then the costs mount. As someone said here, a $100 watch can soon cost $300, so you might as well buy a $300 watch. I say where is the fun in that? HA HA!!

And when you buy a $100 watch and spend $200 on it you usually know it's just right. The $300 watch is still going to need servicing at some point.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I'm generally a very patient buyer of desirable mid-range vintage Seikos. I wait and wait until a bargain pops up. Then I often pay out a more for crystals or gaskets or straps and sometimes a service. By the time I'm done I've generally still paid less than the going rate but I've got an example in good nick.

My first small collection of vintage watches were Tissots. Then I found lots more value for money and much more interesting designs in the Seikos. I've been selling off the Tissots lately.

Since the collection is only about 15 watches, I guess that fits into the less but of better quality/condition category?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts