The Watch Site banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been getting them from mount_tapu and Ramon (and a couple of other people), been happy with them and selling them here(in NZ) - on watches and off as genuine.

I recently got a nearly new Seiko all original including the strap and its just the same as these ones.

What got me thinking was I got an email from someone I sold a Z22 to and he had it fitted by an authorised Seiko agent in another city and they said it wasn't genuine and they showed him a genuine one that had slight differences.

What's the good oil on this:confused:

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Not 100 pct sure either. I think the ones from Mountapo are aftermarket, or at least they were last time i got one from him. A couple of years ago I started buying all my flat vents from Seiya, who has the DAL1BP which is the best flat vent Seiko strap out there IMHO. Comes with the heavy duty buckle. More expensive, but 100 pct legit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Oh...if you want the DAL1BP, be careful. Bought one from a watch band site here in the US and they shipped me an aftermarket Z22 anyway. That's why I started getting them straight from Seiya.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've got lots of rubber (MM300, Darth, DAL1BP, Isofrane, BFK, Z2x-wave vents) and the best is a $12 flat vent that came in some fishy looking packaging marked ZLM29. I spotted another one last month at mountapo merchant and ordered it at once. What I got was in the very same sort of plastic sleeve with a blue/white label as my beloved ZLM29, but the strap was a shiny piece of PVC garbage. Even the blurry Tsunami logo was stamped backwards, and the buckle had no markings at all. I agree, DAL1BP is the only sure way these day.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
ZLM29 is the Seiko part number for the Z22 and is usually stamped on the white sticker on the cellophane sleeve of the aftermarket straps. Funny, I also had one of the $12 great AM straps. Bought it a couple of years ago, perhaps from Edmar (Mountapo). Never again did I find it's equal. :-(

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I've been using these ZLM29 on my watches. Pretty cheap around here and feels good on the wrist. However, i used to boil them before to curve and one of them broke after not using the watch for months and one broke on my wearer. I still bought them but this time i'm not boiling them to see if they'd still be durable.

Oh, and i recently found out that there's a much more cheaper version. Same label ZLM29 but different buckle (curvy type) and some differences on the tsunami logo.

John

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Will Jean also does genuine DAL1BP's, I've had a few from him.
The 19mm band I got from Wjean is the only band I have bought off eBay that I would say without a doubt is a real Seiko band. I am not expert on diver bands but having seen enough Seiko bands in general the buckle just does not seem right on most of them. It looks to thin and cheaply made. In the end since I mod almost every single 7S26 or 7002 anyway I don't really worry about it since the watch already is going to have a bunch on non original parts on it anyway. Only when I wanted a strap for my 62 MAs did I take the time to ensure the strap I was buying was a Seiko strap.

Michael

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Aren't there parts houses in Australia that stock genuine Seiko straps? In the States, Jules Borel sells genuine "Z 22" straps for only little more than you'd pay for a "reproduction".

I would assume most "Z 22" on eBay are "reproductions".

·
Registered
94 Posts
William's straps are genuine. For example (no affiliation) but this is the retail packaging that will come with a genuine Z-22 flat vent replacement strap. Note the heavy duty buckle. You can also get a genuine replacement strap with the thinner stainless polished buckle that comes in different non-retail plastic packaging.

Just look at the wave design on the end of the strap and the script on the back of the buckle. Aftermarket straps don't have a wave that is as detailed as the genuine straps, and the buckles rarely have the correct signed Seiko lettering.

Genuine with retail packaging and heavy duty blasted buckle
http://www.ebay.com/itm/22mm-SEIKO-...697890742?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item48570993b6

Genuine with non-retail packaging with polished buckle
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Sei...9760328?pt=US_Watch_Bands&hash=item5d52b82cc8

·
Registered
99 Posts
The 19mm band I got from Wjean is the only band I have bought off eBay that I would say without a doubt is a real Seiko band. I am not expert on diver bands but having seen enough Seiko bands in general the buckle just does not seem right on most of them. It looks to thin and cheaply made. In the end since I mod almost every single 7S26 or 7002 anyway I don't really worry about it since the watch already is going to have a bunch on non original parts on it anyway. Only when I wanted a strap for my 62 MAs did I take the time to ensure the strap I was buying was a Seiko strap.

Michael
I am not sure if I am confused or you are.

The genuine straps from WJean that everyone in this thread is talking about are the 22mm flat vent versions, which apparently are genuine.

If you are talking about a 19mm waffle for your 62MAS, then those are reproductions, and listed as such (the genuine ones haven't been made in many years) although the buckles do say "Seiko" like the originals.

Jon in SF

EDIT: I think I figured it out. You must be talking about ITM 311177487678 "19mm SEIKO JDM rubber dive strap - DAL3AB 19 Prospex Z-19 Z19 6105 8110 8000" (which I never knew existed until today)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts