The Watch Site banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

Thanks to all, who participated with their entries! Once again great stuff!!!
And a special thanks to Zoodles for doting the great prize(s).

Thanks to everybody voting! It's your contest!!!

This month's theme was "animals"!

After counting all the votes, the first place of the February contest goes to Daniel aka vWycombe aka Spiderman :) , with entry number 7, "Scary Monster (and super creep)":

Congrats!

The rest of the voting broke down as follows:

I hope I didn't make any mistake and apologize deeply if I did.

To see the rest of the pictures submitted you can see them here:

SCWF:
http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php/topic,2512.0.html

PMWF:
http://www.pmwf.com/Phorum/read.php?4,202811,202811#msg-202811

WUS:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=394712

AWF:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/642233/message/1272726621/April+photo+contest+voting...

Cheers,

Axel

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would like to up that one, just to remind everyone, that you can win the contest even with an ugly watch! :))

No, seriously speaking, this was one of the highest qualitity contests so far, imho!
Again a big thanks to everybody, who competed and to Mark (Zoodles) to donate a prize!

I'm so proud to be part of that (meanwhile historical?) contest.

Thanks,

Axel

·
Administrator
33,740 Posts
As always top quality pics but i did like this one, congrats ;)

·
33,214 Posts
Congrats to the winner. Thought that was the best pic. Only reason I didn't vote for it was that it didn't follow the "animals" theme. (Spiders are arachnida.) I know, picky, picky. ;D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks to everyone, and a special thanks to Axel and Mark!

But I really can't see why spiders would not be considered 'animals'? ;)

Cheers! :)
Daniel Z. aka Wycombe

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
normdiaz said:
Congrats to the winner. Thought that was the best pic. Only reason I didn't vote for it was that it didn't follow the "animals" theme. (Spiders are arachnida.) I know, picky, picky. ;D
OK.. Let's be picky then. Arachnida are members of the Animal Kingdom..

From Wikipedia..

Etymology The word "animal" comes from the Latin word animal (meaning with soul, from anima, soul). In everyday colloquial usage, the word usually refers to non-human animals.[sup][1][/sup] Frequently only closer relatives of humans such as vertebrates or mammals are meant in colloquial use.[citation needed] The biological definition of the word refers to all members of the Kingdom Animalia, encompassing creatures ranging from insects to humans.[sup][2][/sup]

[sup]Cheers[/sup]

·
33,214 Posts
anzac1957 said:
OK.. Let's be picky then. Arachnida are members of the Animal Kingdom..

From Wikipedia..

Etymology The word "animal" comes from the Latin word animal (meaning with soul, from anima, soul). In everyday colloquial usage, the word usually refers to non-human animals.[sup][1][/sup] Frequently only closer relatives of humans such as vertebrates or mammals are meant in colloquial use.[citation needed] The biological definition of the word refers to all members of the Kingdom Animalia, encompassing creatures ranging from insects to humans.[sup][2][/sup]

[sup]Cheers[/sup]

Thanks for that "wiki" lesson, Anzac1957. That's what I like about the site; it's so educational (and sometimes inspirational). :-[

·
Registered
68 Posts
ok, here is the real deal:

EtymologyFrom Ancient Greekἀράχνη (“spider”).

arachnid XIX. — F. arachnide or modL. arachnida (n. pl.), f. Gr. arákhnēspider;

Etymology: Arachnida \A*rach"ni*da\, plural noun. [New Latin expression, from the Greek expression spider.]. (Websters 1913
"Arachnida" is a common misspelling or typo for: Arachnid, Arachnidan.
I liked the one with the dog bitting on the guys hand :)

·
33,214 Posts
"I liked the one with the dog bitting on the guys hand"

I did too. It takes a brave and trusting soul to put his arm in the mouth of a pit bull/American Staffordshire Terrier- type dog, IMHO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts