The Watch Site banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Applying a circular brushed finish is one of the hardest techniques to get right when refinishing old watches. Here's the way I do it...
Firstthewatch case should be completely polished to remove any old marks and scratches. I use a great little tool, the MAXX sanding stick to sand the case whilst keeping the original edges.​
Iuseit with gradually finer grades of sandpaper (from 240 to 1200),then give the case a final polish with Autosol metal polish and eithera slowDremel or a soft cloth. For high shine areas I might finish even further with Micromesh. Most of these can be seen in the photo below:​
For a brushed finish I then apply a number of different grades of sandpaper starting with 240grit (or even 180) to put in the main finish,then using an old 400grit sanding block to finish off. Usually I find it best to start with long strokes, then finish with many shorter ones. For a straight finish this is reasonably straight forward:​
To create a circular finish the process requires this little tool that I made from an old caseback:​
This mounts onto the watch case like so:​
and is then put into the drill which I fixed into the vice (a lathe would be nice!):​
The same process as described above is then followed at varying rotation speeds and differing pressure with the abrasives, until the required finish is created. With a bit of practice you can acheive some great results:​
v​

·
Registered
40 Posts
I realize this has been here for a while, but boy did it sure help me out. They say necessity is the Mother of invention. Such a simple, but extremely effective method of applying the brushed finish, that before now I had just about given up on.
Thanks for sharing,
Scottie G

1 - 4 of 4 Posts