The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
29,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find myself in the strangest and somewhat unbelievable position in that I now have two yes two 6159-7000s in my possession !!!

For a few years now I have been very happy with my collection which I have been reducing considerably thanks to sales at the watch fairs, some very nice watches gone but in reality not missed as they where in the main just sitting in a box and seldom seeing the light of day.

Apart from a couple of old firm favorites (Dirty Harry etc) I had been lucky enough to pick up a SBDX001 which I loved and wore solid for over two years, then I got a SBDX012 heirloom watch 50th Anniversary (thanks to the SCWF members) so at this stage I felt pretty happy and couldent really go any further.

Then in November 2018 I got a SBGC005, amazing watch and one I would never have believed I would ever own, can it get any better than this ? surprisingly yes !!!

Over the next year or so I was lucky enough to pick up one or two nice watches 6105, 7548s, 6139s, some to keep and some to trade/sell and then in January 2020 I did a trade with Jim W ( he's a enabler :) )for a few of my watches (very nice ones) for his 6159-7000 from April 68 which had been fully sorted by Duncan/Thewatchbloke, Seiko collecting doesent get much better imo ? I have wore this everyday since January as a bit of a "beater" but i'm not hard on my watches even beaters and in the 6 months since I set the time it is within 4 seconds total as I found if I rest it crown down at night it gains 1 second and crown up it loses 1 second so I alternate it nightly. I wear it on a Crafterblue made for the MM300 which for me is the perfect combination as I dident want it on a bracelet and I really don't like using buckles, pita imo :)

Now I can't really afford to be picky or even a tad anal but I am in some respects, I know that will surprise you but I am :) :) So I love wearing the 6159 but it has for me a couple of niggle, A little bit of aging on the dial and chapter ring at the 3.30 position that is nigh on impossible to see with the naked eye especially my aging eyes :) and the chapter ring is faded slightly but it is over 52 year old so no problems but just niggles me a little, like I said I can be a little anal.

I decided to try and buy a new chapter ring but no luck and then someone asked if I would sell him the 6159 and offered a good price so I tentatively said yes thinking I could perhaps replace it with a slightly better 6159, but WTBs produced zero results which I was kinder happy about as I decided I dident really want to sell it so all good and happy on the farm :)

Then a week ago out of the blue I was contacted by a guy I dident know offering me a 6159-7000, I asked for photos which he sent, looked good, asked him for a price, which I accepted, arranged a meet 50 odd miles away and waited for the day and had a couple of restless nights worrying, I have to say all was going too well and 90% in my mind I was expecting it to be a scam especially with all the scammers cropping up of late on the forums but to cut the story short the meet went well, the seller was a nice guy (Canadian) and the 6159 was/is pretty top draw.

Great dial, great chapter ring, great hands with just a tiny bit of ageing (52 years old) and a really really superb unpolished case and its a 7000 from April 68 what more could a Seiko collector ask for ? :)

I now have a bit of a quandary, is the new one too good to wear as my daily beater ? should I fit the NOS bezel to it I have which would really make it sing, should I keep the two 6159s and continue wearing the "beater" as my daily and keep the new one more for best ? it goes off to Duncan tomorrow so I will have quite some time to ponder my next move and try and win the lottery :) what ever I decide I can say that now I am fully sorted and I don't really have anymore desires, honest !! :)

At all times in the back ground was my good friend and enabler Jim W giving me encouragement, advice and more, THANKS Jim !!!

·
Registered
25,678 Posts
2 Wrists...2 Watches...What Jim said ^^^

Reactions: SennieG

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
hrrrmmm, put your NOS bezel on the keeper and give me a call if you want to dump the odd man out. =) Congrats!

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
267 Posts
Congrats on the score! I think I’d be very content and call it quits with just the one 6159...

Or would I? :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
An apple a day keeps the doctor away. And with two... congrats, two dream watches

Gesendet von meinem Mi 9 Lite mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Two Keepers for sure John!

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I wish that I had this dilemma, John 😁

Reactions: SennieG

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Wow! Great problem to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
29,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Decision made I will keep both :) "just" the finances to sort out now but its fun :)

Swapped the bezel from the new one on to my "beater" and sent the new one off to Duncan for a service, when it comes back I will fit the NOS bezel on it which will finish it off nicely :)

While getting the new one ready to send to Duncan I noticed that one of the lug holes dident look right, on further investigation it looked like the end of a spring bar had broke off in it so I spent the next couple of hours nibbling away at it with a .5mm drill held in a pin vice until I got it out, always something to keep us interested.

"Beater" with the bezel from the new one fitted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts