The Watch Site banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a seiko 7002-7000 divers watch on eBay and it stated it has an ‘Apocalypse Dial’.. It has a Cyclops Magnifier on the glass over the date. It’s in excellent condition and without a scuff or a scratch also which surprised me considering it’s age which according to the serial number is 1990 I think.
Serial- 0N0796. It doesn’t have the usual big Pointed hands either, it has more like streamlined hands and the second hand has an oval end rather than the big circular one I see on other models. Have I bought a Dud ?

Attachments

·
Poet Laureate
1,112 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum. You bought a mod. It's common for folks to buy these 7002s and mod them with aftermarket parts. Just search eBay for "Seiko 7002" and you'll see that the customized watches far outnumber the original ones.
In your case, someone modded a 7002 to look like a 6105. If your goal was to get an original 7002, that's not what you got, but if you bought it because you wanted a 6105 homage or because you just like the look of it, you did fine. Ultimately, it's just a matter of taste.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just purchased a seiko 7002-7000 divers watch on eBay and it stated it has an ‘Apocalypse Dial’.. It has a Cyclops Magnifier on the glass over the date. It’s in excellent condition and without a scuff or a scratch also which surprised me considering it’s age which according to the serial number is 1990 I think.
Serial- 0N0796. It doesn’t have the usual big Pointed hands either, it has more like streamlined hands and the second hand has an oval end rather than the big circular one I see on other models. Have I bought a Dud ?
Hi there,.. thanks for the reply,.. I’m new to all this,.. so is my purchase a real seiko movement and case though ? Is the cyclops thing real also ?
thanks...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, welcome to the forum. You bought a mod. It's common for folks to buy these 7002s and mod them with aftermarket parts. Just search eBay for "Seiko 7002" and you'll see that the customized watches far outnumber the original ones.
In your case, someone modded a 7002 to look like a 6105. If your goal was to get an original 7002, that's not what you got, but if you bought it because you wanted a 6105 homage or because you just like the look of it, you did fine. Ultimately, it's just a matter of taste.
Hi there,.. thank you for replying,..,so is my purchase a real seiko though ? I’d hate to think I bought a fake ... is the cyclops thing real also ? Thanks

·
Poet Laureate
1,112 Posts
Hi there,.. thank you for replying,..,so is my purchase a real seiko though ? I’d hate to think I bought a fake ... is the cyclops thing real also ? Thanks
The case, case back, and probably movement (assuming, since we can't see it) are real Seiko. The bezel, dial, bracelet, hands and crystal (with cyclops) are not. In other words, it started as an original Seiko 7002 watch, then someone replaced half the parts with aftermarket parts to make it look like a 6105, which is a much more expensive vintage Seiko dive watch. Some people do this because they want a watch that looks like an expensive watch like a 6105, but at a lower price (an homage). They call it "Apocalypse Dial", because Martin Sheen wore a 6105 in Apocalypse Now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The case, case back, and probably movement (assuming, since we can't see it) are real Seiko. The bezel, dial, bracelet, hands and crystal (with cyclops) are not. In other words, it started as an original Seiko 7002 watch, then someone replaced half the parts with aftermarket parts to make it look like a 6105, which is a much more expensive vintage Seiko dive watch. Some people do this because they want a watch that looks like an expensive watch like a 6105, but at a lower price (an homage). They call it "Apocalypse Dial", because Martin Sheen wore a 6105 in Apocalypse Now.
Ahhhhhhhh,.. ok thank you,.. and I’m so sorry for to keep on asking things,.. but do you think it will be water proof still?.. like shower, bath or rain proof?.. thank you, and sorry again.

·
Special Member
3,089 Posts
If all the gaskets have been replaced and the crystal has the correct fit in a 7002 case, you should be OK, but honestly, I wouldn't bet on it. That said, between the screw down crown and caseback you should be fine in the rain or washing hands, just would be hesitant to submerge it.

Rob

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
580 Posts
I think there are AM coin edge bezels out there for the 7002, it would look better I think. It is not a dud, enjoy it, wear it and use it. You could always pressure test it at a local watchmaker, $25-35 for peace of mind, or just go for it, have fun.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
well hello and welcome to the forum
i would not wear this anywhere near water
it has been modified from original and no idea if it will be able to take it
stay safe and warm out there
God Bless,John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts