The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 25th of April is ANZAC Day in Australia and New Zealand..

This from Wikipedia.. "Anzac Day is a national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand, and is commemorated by both countries on 25 April every year to honour members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought at Gallipoli in Turkey during World War I. It now more broadly commemorates all those who died and served in military operations for their countries."

So tomorrow morning at the Dawn Parade I will wear my father's medals for the first time since he died last year..

and will be wearing his watch that he bought while posted to Saudi Arabia in 1966.. (a cheap Timex that wouldn't matter if it got damaged by the sand and dust on the airfield.. and yet it is still ticking and keeping good time.)

"Lest we forget"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Every year on Anzac Day, special ceremonies are held at the U.S. National Memorial Cemetary of the Pacific in Punchbowl Crater to remember their sacrifice. I'm sure the same will happen this Sunday.

Aloha,

andy

·
Registered
562 Posts
Good on you Tony,your Dad would be proud of you wearing his Medals at the dawn parade
"Rest Ye, oh Warrier,you'll battle no more
No longer to live the horrors of War
Your duty was done with honour and pride
Farewell ! oh Brother, until we march
by your side Again"

·
Registered
232 Posts
Happy Anzac day to you Tony and fellow NZ'rs...wonderful memories and a honoring commemoration I'm sure...bless you.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Good post Tony,

My daughter just flew out of London this morning to attend the dawn service at Gallipoli. This will make it a very special ANZAC day for her.
The last 14 years she has with her mother and brother marched with scouts at the local parade here in the the Redlands,bayside Brisbane. Myself as usual will be watching the parade from the roadside ,admirng and cheering on the diggers,and all the ex servicemen and women from all countries.

LEST WE FORGET

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
That's pretty cool Tony, thanks for sharing! :)
Happy ANZAC day!

For those who don't know about the Gallipoli Battle, watch the film "Gallipoli", with Mel Gibson. It's a pretty good flick.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Took these shots this morning at the local dawn service and parade. Emotional words can be very moving at that hour of the day.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
anzac1957 said:
Unfortunately for New Zealand, we lost three Air Force personnel when an RNZAF Iroquois helicopter that was on its way to Wellington for the ANZAC Day remembrance crashed..
Tony, that is so sad news.

·
Administrator
29,534 Posts
Really great when we can commemorate our present and ex service men and women, sometimes with all the PC going around it is as though they want to make us feel guilty in the UK for showing national ENGLISH pride in our men and women, even frown on us displaying the English flag at times !!!.

Kings park in Perth WA is a truly beautiful place to visit with great views as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts