The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So was over at the Rolex forum and there was a member who came forward about being scammed by a well known YouTuber and a trusted reseller. The thread is getting blown up and apparently he's not the only victim with more coming forward. I can't help but sense this sends a ripple across the secondary market. Whats your take on all this?

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
That's quite the development to say the least. I read all the back & forths on the WhatsApp exchange as well all the comments on the Rolex forum. This is something that should be on Netflix! Whether it will change or shake up the grey market is anyone's guess. One thing is for sure though, when it comes to buying new high-end watches, going through an AD is the preferred route.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
30k transaction, you'd think the postage and delivery is proportionately speedy and secure and you receive the item overnight. A few weeks should have raised some flags quicker.
More so, had the watch been dispatched quicker maybe the buyer wouldn't scrutinize it as much and the seller wouldn't have been ousted so quickly.

Rob

·
Registered
67 Posts
There's such a "feeding frenzy" when "new" SS Rolex are put up for sale it should be expected that dishonest sellers will get involved - as with many things these days "buy the seller" is a good policy, but Rolex forgeries are now so good that I'm sure more and more people are getting duped

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's quite the development to say the least. I read all the back & forths on the WhatsApp exchange as well all the comments on the Rolex forum. This is something that should be on Netflix! Whether it will change or shake up the grey market is anyone's guess. One thing is for sure though, when it comes to buying new high-end watches, going through an AD is the preferred route.
You can say that again. Was quite a lengthy conversation filled with every excuse in the book. And despite the clear evidence it was hard to digest. How I reputable and well trusted individual stoop so low is beyond me. Let alone someone who publishes videos on YouTube educating viewers on fake vs genuine Rolex.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
30k transaction, you'd think the postage and delivery is proportionately speedy and secure and you receive the item overnight. A few weeks should have raised some flags quicker.
More so, had the watch been dispatched quicker maybe the buyer wouldn't scrutinize it as much and the seller wouldn't have been ousted so quickly.

Rob
I think this would've been the case had the seller been someone less reputable. This guy had over 60k followers on IG, Admin and creator of most popular Aussie FB watch group including YouTube. I don't blame the buyer for giving him benefit of the doubt. This is a good example of "buy the seller" gone wrong.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Rolex are too lucrative a target for the fraudsters to ignore. So long as people are willing to pay above retail for something (which blows my mind), then it will attract undue attention.

While the seller should have been trusted in most respects - and even experienced watch traders would have bought from him - I think that spending that kind of money warrants some level of assurance beyond a seller's reputation. I would not wire transfer that kind of money unless an expert verified it in front of me.

·
Registered
315 Posts
So how did the buyer determine that it was a fake ? What will the buyer be able to do about this now, in terms of getting his money back ?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So how did the buyer determine that it was a fake ? What will the buyer be able to do about this now, in terms of getting his money back ?
His buddy did a comparison with a genuine Daytona and the packaging all indicated it was a fake. Buyer got his refund but only after going back and forth over a period of 3 months I think.

·
Registered
315 Posts
His buddy did a comparison with a genuine Daytona and the packaging all indicated it was a fake. Buyer got his refund but only after going back and forth over a period of 3 months I think.

I imagine that the seller would probably try to claim that he believed it to be genuine. This could have even led to criminal charges laid against him if it could be proven that the seller knew it was a fake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts