The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend aquired this interesting model. It has a 6119-8080 case back and what might be a 6119-8083 dial? But the case style I cannot find an example of.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I believe the dial matches the case back, 6119-8080.

Looks unbelievably fantastic with the bezel choice. Case is a mystery to me.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe the dial matches the case back, 6119-8080.

Looks unbelievably fantastic with the bezel choice. Case is a mystery to me.
Yeah, the dial and caseback seems to be a match, the case has me stumped though. Anything I thought it might be has a 3 o'clock crown, but this case it's at 4.

·
Registered
92 Posts
A friend aquired this interesting model. It has a 6119-8080 case back and what might be a 6119-8083 dial? But the case style I cannot find an example of.
I'll have a go at it. I'm far from a vintage Seiko expert but I am fairly good at Google. I think what your friend bought was this exact watch at the link HERE from antiquesf on ebay. I can find other images of the watch on other sites but they all lead back to two recent ebay listings. It was listed for $620 initially but it didn't sell so it was relisted as an auction that just ended recently. It will be tough to see on your phone but if I blow up the images on my computer, I can see a few distinctive marks on the case and bezel that match exactly. At first I thought maybe it was just a 6119 dial and movement that was re-cased but after looking at images of other 6119-8080 examples it appears to be the same exact original case. The lines are the same. However on many of these fivers the bezel will pop off just as they will on the divers or dive-style watches. You can see what I mean HERE on a newer 5. So I think someone popped a new rotating dive bezel onto this thing. If you look at other 8080 cases, they appear to match up.....which is why the caseback matches the dial.....those parts are all original. That's also why we see a tiny tucked-in push-pull crown on this "diver". Although I can't find a perfect profile image, I'll try to drop a pic below that shows what I mean about the case. There are more on google images but they can't be viewed properly from their sources because they are lost down the Photobucket forever.

Not the right profile but this seems to be the one in the best condition.....from a user named siralan on wrist sushi.

Anyway, moving on to the bezel and insert. Like I said, I think it's probably not original. Zooming in on the third photo from the ebay link makes me question whether the bezel and case are made for each other. I'll drop that photo below. Even though the watch overall is in good condition, that bezel insert is in outstanding condition and out of proportion with the wear on the case if you ask me. I don't have to tell you guys what normally happens to the printed/painted dive time markings. Also, if you look back at old Seiko divers and "dive-style" bezels, it's really rare to not have a lume pip. Even when old Seiko inserts have that triangle at zero, it often has the lume pip too. Also, I can't find a damn thing similar to that insert in a Seiko related google search, and I usually can. It makes me wonder if someone popped a non-Seiko bezel, or at least, insert on this thing. Also (and I think this is important), this is a really cool looking watch and I think it would be noticed and considered desirable. To only have one photo out there is a bit odd. I think if there were a few more examples out there they would show up in a search......if not of 6119-8080 searches, than of vintage Seiko 37mm dive-style watches.

Hopefully your friend enjoys it whether he finds out any more about it or not. I've rambled enough.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like a 6119 8130, 7005 8062 case or 6619 8230.

Edit googling the case it looks to be correct aswell for an 8080? Crystal bezel removed and a (is it a pulsar?) rotating bezel installed..looks quite good!
It does look like an 8083 case as well which would match the dial and caseback. I wonder if someone managed to mod a rotating bezel on it. I wouldn't mind finding a rotating bezel that somehow fits. I have a silver dial 8083 that's missing the bezel.

·
Registered
8,314 Posts
cool watch Jerry - the bezel makes it look awesome. here is my stock 6119-8080

Not sure what you have there but looks like an Apocalypse Sports Diver.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A few years ago I droped a 6119-8080 dial into a 6106-8100. I sold it on, but described EXACTLY what it was.

[/IMG]

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
The 61XX and 63xx dials are all interchangeable, except the chronos. The case type is what I'm trying to identify, I can't find one that type that has a rotating bezel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts