The Watch Site banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting this out to the brain trust. Does anyone recognize these 5718 photos?

I made a deal for a 5718, in part because I hadn't seen these photos, so they'd be unlikely to be in the hands of someone without a 5718.

Now, it looks like I may have been a victim of fraud (but I still have a glimmer of hope) - and was wondering whether anyone had seen them somewhere.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
That's terrible. Sorry to hear you might have been had. I don't know how to do it but some here have mentioned doing a reverse image search. I assume you take and image and the search takes you to wherever that image has been displayed elsewhere. Could be worth googling how. It looks like a brilliant watch so I hope the deal turns out ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Good tip! Found the watch for sale with these images from http://cticorp.jp/?p=2250

Pretty much clinches it. Thanks for putting it to bed.

Seller had a posting history going back years, and had pictures I hadn't seen.
Still should have required better evidence, and insisted on a more reversible payment mechanism.

What hurts isn't losing the money, it's losing out on my grail.

Oh, well - live and learn.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Damn. For a watch as rare as that I bet you're out a fair bit. Sorry your money got taken and your hopes dashed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, it's okay. I feel better just knowing - the waiting, with radio silence on the other end, really sucked.

Thanks again for your help - now I can move on.

Tried to uprank / helpful post you, but clicking doesn't seem to do anything anymore.

·
Special Member
1,819 Posts
Always very sad to see someone scammed. It does make you wonder why someone would spend years building up a posing history just to loose all credibility with a single move.

I had not seen this one come up at WatchCTI so wonder how long ago this was sold. Does anyone remember this?

·
Administrator
33,234 Posts
So have you paid for the 5718 and not received it ? or have you paid and waiting for it to arrive ? or have you been scammed ? (hopefully not :( ).

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Damn it, that really sucks :-(

I do agree with Anthony, though: the watch appears to have been sold by WatchCTI some time ago, maybe it is the same piece with the pictures re-used by the seller?

On another note, I have seen things like these happen before with regular forum members (not necessarily talking about the SCWF here!). The amount of money involved in this transaction was most certainly a serious sum, some folks are just not able to withstand the temptation :-(

Best
H

·
Registered
334 Posts
If the seller doesn't refund your money, threaten the seller with turning him in for wire fraud.

Most don't go the distance when cheated and the seller gets away with it.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Noah, but the seller isn't a poster here, this was on WatchProsite aka PuristSPro - and the mods there were quick to delete his WTB and FS posts, and ban his account.

I'll be pulling the law enforcement levers available to me, but I don't have any illusions that I'll get my money back - just doing it to maybe protect the next guy.

It's fine, really. The uncertainty was eating at me, but with these doctored photos from cticorp I can now just move on. I'm okay, so I'm not about to let the injury eat at me further.

·
Super Moderator
3,143 Posts
You are to be commended for your positive attitude- I don't know that i'd be able to have as much peace about the situation. I hope legal recourse is possible- we're pulling for you!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You are to be commended for your positive attitude- I don't know that i'd be able to have as much peace about the situation. I hope legal recourse is possible- we're pulling for you!
Thanks.

He didn't take my money, I sent it to him - so there's no escaping my role - and I think I'll just cut myself some slack and learn from it.

If someone did something which compromised the safety of me or my family, I'd feel quite different.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yes, I have seen these before

Hi, sorry to say I have these photos in my pic folder, they came from Watch CTi in Japan, the originals had a water mark but it seems they have all been cropped, sorry again. Clayton

·
Special Member
1,819 Posts
Clayton, that is a fantastic attitude that you have for this. Hopefully there will be some resolution to get your funds back.

I guess that we should all add strangely cropped images as a warning sign when looking at deals.

If the images do not show the whole watch, or have been framed for an non-obvious reason then ask for another image showing the whole watch.

If someone is serious about selling a watch then they should not have a problem taking another photo as per your request. Maybe asking for a photo of the watch set to a specific time can be a good precaution.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts