1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Yup - I guess that the wider knowledge about him and his -6005 has pushed up values of the gold-faced Pepsi chronos... even the non-Resist ones. But I am now constantly on the lookout for a gold-faced "Resist", even though I have four later ones...

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Spencer said:
Yup - I guess that the wider knowledge about him and his -6005 has pushed up values of the gold-faced Pepsi chronos... even the non-Resist ones. But I am now constantly on the lookout for a gold-faced "Resist", even though I have four later ones...
Oh so you're the one hoarding all them goldies. No wonder I can't seem to find one now. lol. (kidding)
Yes, I believe they will become even more popular and will get scarce. There are so many non original/aftermarket ones out there. This is why I haven't found one yet. Maybe some day.

But they do look great, I hope it doesn't drive the market prices up.
Dave.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
I came across another thread that referenced Col. Pogue, and in it the WIS talked about how the gold-faced Pepsi models used to be sort of a "meh" model of chrono, but now they're the most desirable of the 60xx line, possibly heading towards being the most popular of the 6139 group. I haven't seen a single "Resist" model for sale for nearly a year now. Regular gold-faced "Automatic" and "Automatic Chronograph" are available, though most seem to be reworks from the Phillipines. I've seen parts models and some complete examples on UK eFlay.

But yeah, I have too many Chronos. ??? ...

or is it not enough...?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Great read. One thing I wish somebody would ask him is if the inner bezel on his watch was originally yellow, or came white. I suspect it is just faded to white, but this would answer that age-old Seiko question once and for all.

Nice examples of this model are getting hard to find...but they are still out there. I just got this one in the mail last week. It's a really late production one, made in May, 1978. Haven't restored it yet. They are getting tougher to find, but they are out there. ;D ---A

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
And some of the inner bezels were black on gold dialled variants as well.

Personally can't see the hoo ha about Pogue after all he only wore the watch inside which is like wearing a watch on a bus but I guess it adds a little history for some.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Neil.C said:
And some of the inner bezels were black on gold dialled variants as well.
Do you mean originals?
Is there any ad or catalogue picture, that can support this thesis?

Cheers,

Axel

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Axel66 said:
Do you mean originals?
Is there any ad or catalogue picture, that can support this thesis?

Cheers,

Axel
I don't see catalogs as a last-word bible of what existed and what didn't. There are THOUSANDS of Seiko models that we have not seen in our very limited number of consumer retail brochures, and they are most certainly legit models. The blue/black inner bezel coupled with the yellow dial could have been a regional variation, only manufactured for certain years, etc...it is just hard to tell. I only need to see this bezel/dial combo on a dozen or so original, otherwise unmolested watches to convince me that it is a factory combination. I have seen several (and own one), but I am still on the fence. ---A

·
Registered
964 Posts
I agree that, catalogues normally only can give a positive confirmation, but the problem is, that a lot of the chronos are not mint the yellow/gold and silver dialed versions have always be rarer or at least more sought afterthan the balck or blue ones, hence very often, if someone had a black one with a good case and a rocked down yellow/gold one, he could simply swap the case-assemblies.
I have a silver one with the black turning ring. For me it's odd. The only ones that really looked mint and not overhauled I saw had the grey ring with the silver dial and the yellow ring with the gold dial.
Yes, maybe I haven't seen all market variations, but sorry, particularly on the golden one the black turning looks so odd - why shoud Seiko have done that. Regarding the silver dial you could argue, that Seiko has used this theme bright dial / dark chapter ring in other models, but with the golden/yellow ones?

O.k., if you're convinced that they were original variations like that, that's more than o.k. and considering your experience, your probably right.
However I for myself consider them as non original unless I saw a proof.

Cheers,

Axel

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
You see, with all these variations I see everywhere is the reason I've hesitated in a purchase. :(
Just don't know enough to discern if its all original or not. Just have to go with sellers word, which may or may not be correct.
Original or not, they still look great. I will cave one day and eventually pick one up.

Dave.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I am not aware of dial variations etc but here is mine that I picked up about 10 years ago in a trade........ actual cash I paid for it was $50.00 and it's about the closest I have ever seen to MINT!
Another amazing thing about this one.........to me at least is the serial #
Serial # consists of 6 numbers five of which are 6s and the first 3 serial #s are: 666
To this day there is hardly a single scratch on it and it works amazingly well! :)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Axel66 said:
I agree that, catalogues normally only can give a positive confirmation, but the problem is, that a lot of the chronos are not mint the yellow/gold and silver dialed versions have always be rarer or at least more sought afterthan the balck or blue ones, hence very often, if someone had a black one with a good case and a rocked down yellow/gold one, he could simply swap the case-assemblies.
I have a silver one with the black turning ring. For me it's odd. The only ones that really looked mint and not overhauled I saw had the grey ring with the silver dial and the yellow ring with the gold dial.
Yes, maybe I haven't seen all market variations, but sorry, particularly on the golden one the black turning looks so odd - why shoud Seiko have done that. Regarding the silver dial you could argue, that Seiko has used this theme bright dial / dark chapter ring in other models, but with the golden/yellow ones?

O.k., if you're convinced that they were original variations like that, that's more than o.k. and considering your experience, your probably right.
However I for myself consider them as non original unless I saw a proof.

Cheers,

Axel
I agree that parts swapping can be an issue in these or any other watches. But if I find a watch on Ebay or elsewhere that is from an estate and appears to be OTHERWISE UNMOLESETED, then there is no real reason to believe that it has had any work done to it. I am not talking about the Philippine/Thai puppy mill Seiko sellers who are obviously selling reworked watches. I am talking about watches from the US, Canada, Australia, the UK, etc, that are likely one owner watches from estate or garage sales.

If a watch has little wear, then why would somebody replace the complete case on a gold dial watch with one from a blue dial watch? Especially back when the CORRECT parts were easily available?

Why do we NEVER see the reverse...a blue dial watch with a yellow ring?

To be honest, I actually see very FEW watches with yellow dials and blue rings from the puppy mill sellers...the people most likely to make them.

As I said, I am not yet convinced that the yellow dial/black ring chrono was a factory variation. I am just not as convinced as you are that it WASN'T. ;D ---A

·
Registered
964 Posts
Cobrajet25 said:
As I said, I am not yet convinced that the yellow dial/black ring chrono was a factory variation. I am just not as convinced as you are that it WASN'T. ;D ---A
No problem to agree on that one, as I'm not convinced that it wasn't, I just have a feelling... ;)

Cheers,

Axel

·
Registered
79 Posts
CJ is on the right track, catalogues pretty much mean squat as there are often dozens of variations in many models.

My 6139-6002 with the black inner bezel was bought from the original owner (an Australian) and is mint apart from some tiny superficial scratches on the crystal. It has never been touched.

It sports the more unusual bracelet style.

I only have a couple of ropey old pics of it but it will give you an idea.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cobrajet25 said:
Great read. One thing I wish somebody would ask him is if the inner bezel on his watch was originally yellow, or came white. I suspect it is just faded to white, but this would answer that age-old Seiko question once and for all.
I thought this was a great question myself and have forwarded it to Colonel Pogue. I look forward to his reply on the subject since it brought up much discussion on a review I did a while back.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=287754

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Good Articel and thanks for the Link. One question though, is that an original interview, or is that a Translation of Dave Bruno's work? Those are definitely Dave's pictures, but I see no mention of him anywhere in that post.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I remember Dave posting a letter he received from Colonel Pogue with a photo of the original receipt for the watch but I wasn't aware of an in depth interview. However Dave's name was mentioned under the photo of the receipt for the watch.

Photo: Ellington AFB Exchange ticket. Mr. Pogue payed the watch in three times. Thanks to Dave Bruno for the material, ppublished with Mr. Pogue's permission.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts