The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 7546-6049 Sports 100 diver about a year ago. Mostly because I liked the fact that it was a quartz model and not as common as the mechanical auto winders. I have tracked everything I need to do a full restoration on this watch mostly by scavenging parts watches but I am dead stuck on one part. The watch has a rotating diver dial with the original Pepsi bezel insert and the insert for this model apparently does not cross reference to any other model I can locate. The insert has an outside diameter of 36.75 mm and a inside diameter of 32.05. I guess if all else fails I will have to mask and repaint the original which is quite a time consuming process. Here she is.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi. I have one. The part for the bezel/insert is 86019632. It is a complete unit you can not get the insert separately. Very difficult to find now.

I have had mine since new in 1979 (Ex Royal Navy Diver), full box and papers and still running strong and scarily accurate. I actually had the bezel replaced when serviced in 1986 so it is still in good shape, the original is very faded but after over 600 Navy dives it is to be expected.

Regards. Kev.

And the cream which will make you drool. Sorry

·
2,237 Posts
It was reading bubblehead's post a while ago about 7546 divers that got me started on these lovely watches!

I really enjoyed them for a while, but they now have new homes.

It's a shame that various parts are unavailable, as I'm sure they'd have a bigger following.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She is a beauty there bubblehead. So the bezel and insert are all one piece. Well I guess I am just going to have to take the time and spend many hours masking and repainting mine. I always thought they were attractive watches. Glad to see a couple other people think so too.

Michael

·
Registered
536 Posts
She is a beauty there bubblehead. So the bezel and insert are all one piece. Well I guess I am just going to have to take the time and spend many hours masking and repainting mine. I always thought they were attractive watches. Glad to see a couple other people think so too.

Michael
Hi Michael, you may consider dropping the whole 7546 movement, dial and hands into a 6309 729x case as it is a direct fit. This way you can retain the originality of the watch in a very serviceable case which is easy to get parts for such as gaskets bezel inserts etc. Just a thought. Regards. Kev

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Michael, you may consider dropping the whole 7546 movement, dial and hands into a 6309 729x case as it is a direct fit. This way you can retain the originality of the watch in a very serviceable case which is easy to get parts for such as gaskets bezel inserts etc. Just a thought. Regards. Kev
That sounds like a cool idea there. I have a bunch of 7002 and 7S26 dive cases but I only have one 6309 model diver that is completely restored so I'm not going to take it apart but I am going to start looking for an old 6309 diver with a trashed movement and dial I can pick up cheap. Thanks for the great idea!

Michael

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have this Michael a 6040
i think maybe its too small for my wrist

Your dial is in better shape than mine at least. I have always been a fan of collecting the models that are not quite as popular as other. The 7546 and 7548 divers definitely fit that category. She is a nice looking watch you have there.

Michael

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi. I have one. The part for the bezel/insert is 86019632. It is a complete unit you can not get the insert separately. Very difficult to find now.

I have had mine since new in 1979 (Ex Royal Navy Diver), full box and papers and still running strong and scarily accurate. I actually had the bezel replaced when serviced in 1986 so it is still in good shape, the original is very faded but after over 600 Navy dives it is to be expected.
Great post! I just got one of these on eBay for a very OK price of $35, and I'd rate it at 90% easily. Unfaded, unworn. Nice piece. It is great to read that you've had one since new, and that it performed for you as a functioning dive watch. 600 dives? That's unreal! How often did you get the seals checked or changed? I'd assumed looking at these seals that they weren't that robust, especially the odd crystal seal setup, but what you're saying tells me I'm wrong. Tighter than a duck!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Some of these were also sold as "silverwave z" rather than "sports 100". I don't recall the exact model at the moment, but it is the same case as yours with a silver dial and all stainless bezel. I I remember I'll try for a pic and the model number tomorrow.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Great post! I just got one of these on eBay for a very OK price of $35, and I'd rate it at 90% easily. Unfaded, unworn. Nice piece. It is great to read that you've had one since new, and that it performed for you as a functioning dive watch. 600 dives? That's unreal! How often did you get the seals checked or changed? I'd assumed looking at these seals that they weren't that robust, especially the odd crystal seal setup, but what you're saying tells me I'm wrong. Tighter than a duck!
Hi there. I only got the seals changed every battery change (Case back seal only) and a full service in 1987 after I left the navy (All seals including crown and new bezel insert/crystal). I've not dived with the watch since but I have swam with it up until about 2009, then I got another Seiko newer diver and use that now for actual diving as I would not totally trust the seals on the 7546 after all this time. Regards. Kev

1 - 11 of 11 Posts