The Watch Site banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how durable Seiko's gold-tone finish is? I like this model but am a little concerned about the durability of the finish.

Thanks

Kurt

·
Special Member
4,636 Posts
Kurt, here is a 1971 Belle with gold plating. It stood up well IMO, though it shows wear around the lugs.
dial3 by blingmeister, on Flickr

a rare 1990 alarm watch..gold plated bezel/case in reasonable shape....
dial by plant by blingmeister, on Flickr

This 1994 Seiko Leganza line chrono was kept in super condition when I found it online Yahoo auctions....
The 2 tone gold areas are very clean showing no rubbing ...

dial front view by blingmeister, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I believe Seiko stopped using gold plating quite a while back and switched to titanium nitride. It has the benefits of adhering better to stainless, and is actually harder than the stainless underneath.

I saw one of these in person when I was in Thailand a few weeks ago, and while it isn't my style, it is a really beautiful and well finished watch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Kurt,

I have had at least a dozen gold tone Seikos through the years, including one that was my daily watch for a dozen+ years, and a couple of others from the early 80s that are still fine. I can't remember a single one having any problem. I recognize that is a small sample size compared to the number of Seikos made, but does indicate to me good probability of success.

Regards,

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts