The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Re: Anyone know what the "1" stands for in SNZG15J1 (vs SNZG15J). "J" is Japan made.

That seems indicates the type of attachment (e.g. strap or bracelet).

Best wishes,
Myles

·
Registered
261 Posts
Anyone know what the "1" stands for in SNZG15J1 (vs SNZG15J). "J" is Japan made.

Experts correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe 'J' doesn't necessarily mean its 100% 'made in Japan'. It just means that 'made in Japan' is printed on the watch which requires a certain % of the watch has been made in Japan. I don't know the %, but I believe Swiss Made can be put on watches with as little as 30% of the watch actually made in Switzerland.

·
Registered
12,328 Posts
Re: Anyone know what the "1" stands for in SNZG15J1 (vs SNZG15J). "J" is Japan made.

LeroyC said:
Experts correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe 'J' doesn't necessarily mean its 100% 'made in Japan'. It just means that 'made in Japan' is printed on the watch which requires a certain % of the watch has been made in Japan. I don't know the %, but I believe Swiss Made can be put on watches with as little as 30% of the watch actually made in Switzerland.

the J in made in Japan is for markets that require watches to have the place of origin spelled out in the dial as far as I know.
It's not the same thing as "Swiss Made" which has much more strict rules to be applied in the logo, with sourcing/manufacture being at least 51%

For made in Japan, as far as I know, you can have a watch pretty much made in Malaysia with a few parts and design from Japan, and it can qualify for made in Japan.
Of course, there are Seiko's like the GS line that is not only 100% made in Japan, but mostly hand assembled as well, so it does get confusing.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Anyone know what the "1" stands for in SNZG15J1 (vs SNZG15J). "J" is Japan made.

There you go. I knew someone would know the details better than I do. Thank you 'Time'.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts