The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going through my grandma's stash (with her ofc!) and came across many watches...and this happens to be one of them. She says my great grandfather wore this every now and then...

I don't even know if this seiko watch is real, when it was made and so on...
I'm attaching few pics and I will write down everything I can see...
Back of the watch is all faded and I need strong light to see what was once written.

On the dial it says: Seiko automatic, water 30 proof, diashock 17 jewels(what does this mean? can someone explain?), japan, 7625-8010TED

I'm planning on getting this watch restrapped and polished so I can wear it with some sentimental value! I can't believe this watch is still working after all those years of no maintenance....

It would be much appreciated if anyone could help! :)

Attachments

·
Researcher
5,031 Posts
Please be patient, someone will help - but not instantaneously!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what does caliber mean??? and how much is this watch worth (not that I would sell..) and how do I get more replies???

Thanks..

·
Researcher
5,031 Posts
Surely, if it has sentimental value, the monetary value is irrelevant.

·
Registered
507 Posts
what does caliber mean??? and how much is this watch worth (not that I would sell..) and how do I get more replies???

Thanks..
Be patient. We all have lives outside here and don't sit on this website waiting to respond immediately to one off questions from members who signed up 15 minutes ago.

·
Special Member
6,533 Posts
Mr. OP (Original Poster), there are numbers on the bottom of the dial down by the 6 o'clock marker. It will start with a 4-digit number followed by a dash, like 7625- as per Scubarob99 has indicated and he seems confident so he's probably right. Then again it could also be 6619- or such. This is your Calibre number, in other words, the model of the watch movement itself. After this will be more numbers with some letters that is the dial forget about that part after the dash.

Then check the back of the watch. It will have a 4-digit number followed by a dash and another 4-digit number. This is the exact model of the watch (called the Reference) and this indicates the case that was used to put the movement into. The first 4 numbers before the dash will match the first 4 on the dial by 6 o'clock.

There will also be a long number on the back. This is the date code. It could be 8312345 for example. That would make it a 1968 watch made in March. There are a lot of web links on this and the date calculator here on this forum. Google it for more information.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts