The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and if so, how does that fit into the WIS lifestyle?

I don't have one yet but I was thinking that if I did buy one i'd probably wear it on my right wrist .. I can't imagine giving up my rotation for some newfangled gimmickry though I do actually like the functionality a smartwatch can offer .. the other option would be the skip the smartwatch phase totally and get a Google Glass :)

your thoughts, guys?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I think I'm with you... If in future they make a reasonably thin smart watch that I can wear on opposite wrist then that would be ok. Otherwise it just wouldn't get used as I couldn't give up wearing a proper timepiece.

We'll see what Apple bring to the market. They are usually design innovators.

·
Registered
507 Posts
There is a smart watch available (I forget the brand) that has a quartz analogue movement in it. It looks sort of like a hi tech ana-digi watch. I'd consider wearing that in certain circumstances but otherwise am unmoved by them.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I don't really see it as a watch. Yes it tells the time and does a bunch of other things, but so does my phone.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Some friend has the Samsung : he wore it the day he got it, and forgot about it the day after.

Cheap looking watch IMHO (plastic and cheap rubber elements, metal parts are ugly), most functions are not very usefull as you need your mobile phone in your pocket anyway.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I don't really see it as a watch. Yes it tells the time and does a bunch of other things, but so does my phone.
+1

I have a pebble, and it's utility as a watch is much less that its utility as an interface with my phone. That said, I never wear it for a couple reasons.

1) The phone is right there in my pocket, not exactly a big deal to pull out, so the convenience of info display the Pebble provides just isn't compelling. Maybe the Apple phone with all kinds of health monitoring, other capabilities will change this.

2) I hate walking around with what people think are two watches on my wrist, I think you look douchey.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I was an investor in the Pebble and it does what its advertised to do. and its very comfortable to ware and easy to read as it has the new technology bright screan. The battery life is not so good though. otherwise I like if just fine. The real issue is it doesn't get much wrist time as I have so much to choose from.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Never. I'm guessing that most of us here value the longevity of our watches. They can last for decades without service (or just occasional service). These smart watches will be obsolete every 2-3 years. Can you imagine spending $300 odd for a watch that won't last longer than your new shirt?

I have a phone in my pocket to do all the things a smart watch will. I don't need another excuse to spend more time checking emails or browsing SCWF.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I nearly had one of the Samsung Gear when I recently had the Samsung Galaxy S5 phone upgrade.
It seemed my phone did everything or most of what it could do and it was an extention of the phone and seemed pointless.
Alternatively I figured if it was a fantastic tool that I became reliant on I no longer be wearing my collection so I passed up on the idea.
It would have still cost £150 so I spent it on a TST instead.:grin:

·
Registered
381 Posts
and if so, how does that fit into the WIS lifestyle?

I don't have one yet but I was thinking that if I did buy one i'd probably wear it on my right wrist .. I can't imagine giving up my rotation for some newfangled gimmickry though I do actually like the functionality a smartwatch can offer .. the other option would be the skip the smartwatch phase totally and get a Google Glass :)

your thoughts, guys?
I haven't got one. Actually I am waiting for an Apple one.

Battery life is the major concern. How to charge it is another. Do you want to hook your Kinetic to a USB wire to charge it? I don't know. Solar is a good option, but I doubt Apple or others could develop a way to do so as good as Citizen's.

Other than that, squeeze as much functionality and as many sensors as possible :)

Vincent

1 - 18 of 18 Posts