The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I don't hate Rolex, I hate their prices. Never hated the sub, love the design but I look at so many watches out there that still copy that original design and it's gotten so old for me now. Even if I had the cash for a new sub, I'd probably get a Tudor Pelagos just because it looks different on the hands/dial.

Some of the Japanese versions at least tried to make them a bit different, but ultimately it's just getting so old. I hope to see the trends change one day. Citizen is trying to move away from the sub dial I've noticed in the past few years now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The sub dial is a classic though, its iconic. As is the rest of the Rolex sports design. The prices are high, but honestly, its probably better to bite the bullet and have one in the collection. I don't have one at the moment and am itching to get one again. Il have to sell just about everything else to do it but that's the way it is with Rolex!

Maybe il keep the MM200.

·
Special Member
2,282 Posts
Hey guys,

I don't hate Rolex, I hate their prices. Never hated the sub, love the design but I look at so many watches out there that still copy that original design and it's gotten so old for me now. Even if I had the cash for a new sub, I'd probably get a Tudor Pelagos just because it looks different on the hands/dial.

Some of the Japanese versions at least tried to make them a bit different, but ultimately it's just getting so old. I hope to see the trends change one day. Citizen is trying to move away from the sub dial I've noticed in the past few years now.
I wouldn't buy the pelogas over a tudor 7016, 7021, 9411 or 94110 for roughly the same coin, give or take. to answer your question, nope, love diver dials and their variants. wearing my Kermit as I type this reply, in fact =)

<* shark >>><

·
Administrator
33,845 Posts
The sub dial is a classic though, its iconic. As is the rest of the Rolex sports design. The prices are high, but honestly, its probably better to bite the bullet and have one in the collection. I don't have one at the moment and am itching to get one again. Il have to sell just about everything else to do it but that's the way it is with Rolex!

Maybe il keep the MM200.
+1 in fact i could of wrote that reply :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I just think it's time that a different watch gets copied. Sure Rolex has a classy look and easy dial but I'd like to see a newer trend or dial style that will become a new classic. I would argue that the citizen ecozilla dial is one of the best dials on a diver watch to date. Modern but not too crazy of a look.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Don't fret, your probably just having an off day scubaholic. If I could afford it I would definitely go for one of the new Tudors. Pick up something you wouldn't normally go for. You don't have to spend a large bucket go cash but it would shake things up a bit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Your comment reminded me of this.

But back to the topic at hand.

I think the Rolex look comes more from the Mercedes hands than the dial itself. I'm not sure if they were the first to use Mercedes hands or not but i definitely associate them with Rolex.

The rest of the features (dial, lume, bezel, etc ) likely stem from the ISO 6425 standard on diving watches.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rolex invented the dial design in the 50's, I think they were the first to use it. Great design, it's been so copied that it's just gotten a bit boring for me. Omega couldn't even be all that original with the seamaster.

·
2,237 Posts

Maybe il keep the MM200.
I agree :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Nope.. 'Fraid the Sub is it for me.

Tough balancing act though. The closer you stick to basic Sub design, the more you look like a rip-off. The farther you stray from the Sub, the more wrong your diver looks.

Guess I'm just still kicking myself for failing to pay the $800 a Sub cost back when I was riding the boat.

Course these days, if I DID find myself with enough disposable cash to buy a sub it would be a blue snowflake Tudor.

Too cool. :cool:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are other diver dials that are IMO better than the sub dial out there. I'm a big fan of the Citizen Autozilla dial, Breitling Superocean II, Omega seamaster (with the bigger dial markers, not the bond look, some of the microbrands etc.)

The sub dial is classic and I don't "hate" it, I just am sick of seeing everyone copy it. If I wanted a Rolex dial then I'd buy the Rolex..

·
Registered
397 Posts
I can see your point. The (Rolex) sub look is copied by many, but like others said it works. That's one of the reasons I got a Monster. Sturdy enough for my needs, and nothing else looks like it.

BTW, I traded my SKX173 (and a little cash) for the Pogue I picked up this weekend. It was going on the auction block until I saw the Pogue.

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
As far as the look of a sub...I could take it or leave it...Never really caught my eye...

·
Registered
393 Posts
Iconic design, can never be outdated. It's legendary and that is why many divers have a similar design to it. Not saying you have own one because they are very expensive but if your a diver enthusiast you can't deny the history, heritage and beauty of the submariner.

I'm not a big fan of the modern examples as I always prefer vintage but they still are the best design available for a diver IMO

·
Special Member
2,282 Posts
Iconic design, can never be outdated. It's legendary and that is why many divers have a similar design to it. Not saying you have own one because they are very expensive but if your a diver enthusiast you can't deny the history, heritage and beauty of the submariner.

I'm not a big fan of the modern examples as I always prefer vintage but they still are the best design available for a diver IMO

frogman,

you own those red 1680s and DRSD etc? if so, veryyyyy nice. is that a 9411 or 7021? been looking for a nice one foreverrrrrr...

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice watches, you are I guess lucky to be able to afford those. I'll never own one even if I have the funds someday to buy one. I feel like while iconic, it is just boring in a way now because it has been copied so much. I like some of the tudor dials better I'll admit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts