The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I just saw one the other day. Looks nice. City ring doens't move on its own so you have to position it each time you want to use it.

I still think Orient has the corner on mechanical world timers. The older model Orient Stars seem like a bargain these days.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
I had a couple of 4r16 Seikos (SRP013 & SRP017 respectively) and they are good watches. This world timer was, once upon a time, in my shopping list but could not source it locally (I flat out refuse to pay $300 for this watch at Amazon or LIW).It is a good movement overall and a notch or two above your garden variety Seiko 7S26, 36, etc. The world timer version has sapphire crystal and solid end links for models with bracelets.

Like John said, I still prefer the Orient mechanical world timers like my now departed CFA05001B.

The Orient uses movement caliber 46K40 which was developed for the purpose and works extremely well. Also the 46K40 has accuracy specs in the -15/+10 secs per day which is unheard of on an automatic watch below $500.

If you can get one of these Seiko 4r16 world timers for less than $250, do it by all means. But I still think $300 buys you the much superior Orient versions.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
nhoJ said:
I just saw one the other day. Looks nice. City ring doens't move on its own so you have to position it each time you want to use it.

Don't you have to move the ring manually on all these type of watches including the Orients?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Yeah, I'll have to agree with John and MINI that Orient really does make some awesome world timers.

Having said that, this one looks pretty nice. The one thing I don't care for is the red ring around the 2 o'clock crown. It's a bit too reminiscent of the BFK for me. To each his own though. O0

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Time said:
Don't you have to move the ring manually on all these type of watches including the Orients?

The city ring in the Orient is actuated via the 4 o'clock crown. However, the 24 hour ring bezel is actuated by the movement and it can either be set to a different time zone or not. The Seiko does not have this.

Given the choice, the Orient is the much better designed mechanical world timer. My CFA05001B had excellent accuracy right out of the box. It that watch had hack and hand wind would have been just about perfect in my book. Still, the fit/finish, detailing (There is a gorgeous carbon fiber pattern on the dial) and quality of the bracelet exude quality. This was probably the best Orient watch I had.

However, mechanical world timers have limitations (They can't keep track of DST time differences for example) reason why I switched over to Citizen Eco-Drive radio controlled world timers that are capable of keeping track of DST time differences for each time zone automatically. They are far more accurate and more useful imho.

The Seiko is not really a "24 hour" world timer. It just happens to have a 12 hour hour bezel with cities stacked up on each other. Nice watch, but don't pay more than USD $225 if you find one.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
minidriver said:
The city ring in the Orient is actuated via the 4 o'clock crown. However, the 24 hour ring bezel is actuated by the movement and it can either be set to a different time zone or not. The Seiko does not have this.

Wow. So in the orient the 24 hour ring actually moves with the movement?
That sounds awesome!

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
TheTigerUK said:
I like the dial and hand set but why did they do the case and bracelet in pvd/black ? that turns me off totally.

The CFA05001B I had was stainless steel silver 100% case and band. The PVD version is the CFA05002B.

SS CFA05001B below:

PVD CFA05002B version below:

[img]

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
TheTigerUK said:
I like the dial and hand set but why did they do the case and bracelet in pvd/black ? that turns me off totally.
There's a couple of other variants. I found these 2. There may be even more. Picts from LI Watch. Normally I prefer steel, but the fitted leather straps on the 035 look nice to me. Covers the gaps well.

SRP035

SRP033
[img]

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
The SRP035 is the one I originally wanted. And I agree the leather strap version look better than the metal bracelet ones.

But $300 is too much for that watch as quoted from LI.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Another thing is these are branded as Superior which to my memory always had integrated bracelets. Its nice to see some models with regular lugs on this line as it will likely be the more affordable Seiko line.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
minidriver said:
The SRP035 is the one I originally wanted. And I agree the leather strap version look better than the metal bracelet ones.

But $300 is too much for that watch as quoted from LI.
They'll come down in price with time once the Singapore ebay dealers get some inventory. Theres one SRP035 on ebay now for $230 USD.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Time said:
Wow. So in the orient the 24 hour ring actually moves with the movement?
That sounds awesome!
Yep, it moves with the hour hand, like a dependent GMT. You then adjust the city ring to match the current time in the home city and then it is set as long as the watch keeps running.

Our own anzac has a great collection of Orient world timers.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I'm guilty of always preferring Seiko, but in this case I would go with the CFA05 without thinking twice.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
Honey.... I'm home!!!

I couldn't resist...

virgin photo, still in the box.
Sorry for the pic, I took very fast. Its got a cool Limited Edition back with a #xxx/1000.

SRP040K1
Full review coming soon!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts