The Watch Site banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning and Happy New Year to all!

I'm a newbie to this forums but I have been dropping by now and then to check out posts/reference materials. I have been cultivating my interest in Seiko watches for almost 2 years now, and I have a question for the more experienced collectors here regarding the 3 lines mentioned in the title.

A picture of an example of each range can be found here (musingsofawatchaddict.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/cam01155.jpg).

From my information gathered from the Internet, the Laurel range (please note that the name Laurel was also given to Seiko's first wrist watch, and hence is the line with the longest history, with the Alpinist line being the second longest) was re-introduced in the mid 1990s (probably 1995 and 1996). More information can be found at (nakahiro.parfait.ne.jp/laurel/) . At that point in time, it appear to be of a mid to high-quality line of watches. Given that the Grand Seiko was properly re-introduced in 1998, I'm guessing that the lines higher than Laurel was the Credor line at that point in time (?). Anyway, given the lack of demand in the Laurel range in the mid 90s, that Laurel line was short lived, probably for 1-3 years. Prices ranged from Yen 50,000 - 75,000 for the mechanical watches. They were all time only models for the mechanical watches, using the 4s family of calibre as far as I'm aware.

Moving on to the Credor Phoenix line, which I believed was introduced in 1998-2000 (my model is from 1999). This line was considered to be the mid to high quality line of watches, below the Grand Seiko line. To note that the Grand Seiko was also re-introduced at this point in time in 1998. This particular range was also short lived, for about 1-3 years. Prices started from Yen 100,000 for the mechanical watches. There were time-only, chronograph and retrograde models, using the 8L, 6s and 4s family of calibre as far as I'm aware.

Lastly, the Brightz line was introduced in the early 2000s and is still in production today. Brightz also contains radio-controlled watches and hence is not limited to mechanical watches. This line was also just below the Grand Seiko range of watches and priced at such. The particular Brightz mechanical model I have retailed for around Yen 100,000 in 2002.

Given the period of time that they were introduced and their pricing at their respective point of introduction, I am curious as to whether each successive line was introduced to replace the previous line? It would appear so to me, except for the fact that the Laurel was priced approximately half that of the Credor Phoenix and Brightz lines. However, upon comparison, it is clear the quality and workmanship of the Laurel is far inferior to the Credor Phoenix and Brightz line. For example, the Laurel had folded links, snap-on case backs and mineral crystals.

Laurel - introduced 1995, starting from Yen 50,000
Credor Phoenix - introduced 1998, starting from Yen 100,000
Brightz - introduced 2000 (?), starting from Yen 100,000

Would any experienced collectors be able to chime in on my hypothesis above?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I am not sure of the relationship to Laurel but there is a clear connection between Credor Phoenix and Brightz Phoenix.

I would assume this was due to the Credor line moving up to a higher price point so the Phoenix were reintroduced into the Brightz line.

I believe that the Phoenix models in the Brightz line were likely only sold via select dealers as they do not appear in the main Seiko Dealer catalogs for the period.

There are brochures for the Brightz Phoenix models in the Ads and Catalogs section.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts