The Watch Site banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a bit of a search, and could not ascertain whether or not a member here offered watch crystal custom cutting. Any need for such a service. It's nearing Christmas, and I'm looking for any reasonable excuse to plunk down 4500 quatloo's on a Kronoglass setup.

Aloha from Maui

·
Special Member & Premium Member
1,344 Posts
I ( and a couple of others I think) would love to replace the 9 sided glass on my 3 Citizen chronometers, if possible.
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Silver

pictured here with a damaged 5 sided replacement

·
Special Member
8,230 Posts
Love those SuperBeat 10s, gorgeous watch.

What's the diameter to the 0.1mm ?

Seiko has quite a few 9 sided offerings.

Also as heresy as it might sound, would an acrylic satisfy as an interim upgrade?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nothing quite like the tangental logic on this site. The Krono crystal cutter is nothing more than one wheel riding on the rotating crystal to be copied, and another wheel, this one a rotating cutter, riding in the same fashion over the blank to be cut. Once the two are of equal size, the job is pau. A multi sided crystal would be no problem. I would just need a crystal to copy from, or, the watch case to make a mould from. Think I'll order one from the guys over at Cousins.

Aloha

·
Super Moderator
3,236 Posts
Tangential logic- the stuff that the internet is built upon! I think one of us misunderstands the faceted crystal- I took it to be a round crystal with faceted angles on the top surface, which the kronoglass would be useless for achieving. If you are looking for a steady stream of jobs from members here, I don’t know that you’d achieve such.
I don’t want to dissuade you, just sharing my opinion that it might be hard to pay for itself in any reasonable amount of time, with as many generic options that currently exist. A lot of the crystals we here would be interested in have fancy three dimensions (internal concavities, external bevels, domed tops, etc.). If you know there are a few Citizen crystals you often need but aren’t satisfied with generics currently on the market, what about commissioning them to be made to your specs?

·
Special Member
8,230 Posts
Oh no did I get called out for being tangential with my logic? Serves me right trying to offer help. Guess any multi faceted spares in my crystal drawer are staying put !

Another "member" added to my Ignore Member list. It's getting longer but still very non-tangential.

·
Super Moderator
3,236 Posts
That escalated quickly, and unnecessarily- we’re all friends here and I for one wouldn’t ignore holonalu- he’s got some interesting insights based on a lot of experience with Citizen multi-disfunction watches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts