The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed a while back (wandering around Borel's online material catalog) that 6309 crowns were used on a Pulsar case and went searching for old Pulsar divers this is what I found...

This was an impulse buy off of eBay, the flowery add made it sound perfect, pictures said otherwise so there were no surprises. A Seiko 7548 case-back was installed. The first thing I did when it arrived was wash it, big mistake, it flooded immediately ARGH! Well after a panicked tear down ultra sonic bath and oiling it's back and running like a top. The source of the water; an undersized crystal and factory gasket installed by the village idiot with some glue at the same time the village idiot probably placed the chapter ring into place without aligning the dial tab to the notch in the chapter ring but he got it close enough that when he forced it down it twisted the tab slightly leaving a visible bend in the dial.

With the dial tab bent back into place and the dial flattened back into position and the chapter ring properly aligned and crystal gasket cleaned of all the glue a new 30mm crystal is properly fitted, new gaskets applied to crown and case-back it's almost all back together. The 7548-700b case-back gets replaced with one of Crystaltimes new un-branded case-backs... done until I get a proper sapphire for it, a slightly domed AR skx031 sapphire should do nicely.

Very early 80's Pulsar 150m not sure when they started making them...

It's a hybrid of design elements of Pulsars y514 (7548 movement), tabbed dial, tab aligned chapter ring, click ball bezel, 6309 crown and a press in crystal with nylon gasket. It seems to be begging for some kind of custom 6309 Seiko mod...

By 1983 the Pulsar 150m had a new smaller slim case, click spring bezel like the skx, press in crystal with nylon gasket, cheaper y112 movement, chapter ring fixed to the dial or tab aligned to the case, redesigned 6309 style crown but now much smaller (Arnie crown?). The new movement does still have a metal bodied gear-train a modern replacement movement would be a vx series and have a plastic body...

Another obscure Pulsar I had never seen before until I paid too much for it on ebay...

Y513 movement (pulsars 7548) serial number starting with 034 I would guess its from 1980 (because of the movement) this model doesn't have a battery change calendar on the caseback but 1970 would be too early for the movement and 1990 would be too late.

This last one is pretty common it has a y147 movement which is the all plastic version of the y112. This has a serial nuber starting with 064 and since its a newer movement I would guess it is from 1990. These can be found in near new condition still and I haven't seen one in all stainless...

So what do you think? Any love for Pulsars?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well more people are interested in the guy who doesn't know how to use his computer than a pulsar thread, guess you and I know where we stand around here :p

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think those Pulsars are very delicious :) I like the second, rally-diveresque one.

As for the guy who can't use his pc.. if you need a laugh look at my response.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Nice investigation! Pulsars, like Seiko Albas, are often ignored by us collectors. That early 7548 model is cool! I will keep my eye open for one here in my part of Japan. I used to find some cool Albas....like Orvitax, some divers....The only Pulsar I own now is a solid SS cased digital like the Casios.
dial closesup by blingmeister, on Flickr

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice investigation! Pulsars, like Seiko Albas, are often ignored by us collectors. That early 7548 model is cool! I will keep my eye open for one here in my part of Japan. I used to find some cool Albas....like Orvitax, some divers....The only Pulsar I own now is a solid SS cased digital like the Casios.
@thianwong1

How is that for visibility? The only one of those inverted LCD's I owned I couldn't read when I needed to the most so I flipped it pretty quickly...
It looks like that Pulsar is easy to read though...

@ShaikCorso

Computer problems are my day job, I'm not going near that thread ;)

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Well more people are interested in the guy who doesn't know how to use his computer than a pulsar thread, guess you and I know where we stand around here :p
If you weren't such an old crow you have a little patience...:p

I've always had an interest in vintage Pulsar's. I've had this "Poor Man's Tuna" since the early 80's. I traded an old air compressor for it from the original owner. It came with box and papers.

Picked this one up a while back......

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
@thianwong1

How is that for visibility? The only one of those inverted LCD's I owned I couldn't read when I needed to the most so I flipped it pretty quickly...
It looks like that Pulsar is easy to read though...

@ShaikCorso

Computer problems are my day job, I'm not going near that thread ;)
The visibility is quite good, better than on the G Shock reverse screens. This Pulsar is one of the few SS casings for digital Multipurpose watches. The quality is super....

·
Registered
7,582 Posts
I started looking at pulsars a while ago with the g10 and w10. I was keeping an eye on a few on eBay and been meaning to check one out.

So from what I understand pulsar had a contract with the MOD for a short while and one of the military versions had problems with the crown is that right?

Pulsar then lost the contact back to CWC?

Anyway Crow they look really good thanks for the info!

And the crown is exactly the same as a 6309? And the movement is a direct replacement for the 7548? As in parts would be transferable?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The crown is the same, that is how I discovered the early model in the first place because the crown was listed with all the cases it goes to and a Pulsar case was in the list... That is for the older Y514 model, the newer y112 crown is smaller and appears to have only been used on that model...

It's my understanding the parts are interchangeable 7548 or y514 (Y513 is the day/date model that would directly replace the 7548 the y514 is date only) I have never had one of the pulsar movements apart (taken the plastic back plate off) so I can't confirm that they use the same main plate.
I think there are some older posts here on SCWF about the 7548/y513 that might have more information, the entire movement can be swapped though.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I got this one off ebay based on the seller's photos thinking it had a yellow bezel insert, it turned out to be gold... Y513 movement is dead from a battery leak and a couple of scratches on the coil, but overall it actually looks quite neat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts