The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been a member of this forum and its prior forum since 2006. I hope I am not breaking any rules.

I really like the Citizen BN0000-04H and its European Pepsi cousin BN0001-01L. I own 2 of the black and 1 of the Pepsi.

Monocoque case. 300M. Eco-Drive. A little small is a opinion of more than a few. Some guys are intimidated by the inherent "manhood" of the hands - like your girlfriend will be staring at it longingly on date night. For us 6.5 inch wrist guys it is almost perfect.

One bummer is it has a mineral glass crystal which scratches real easy.

I found a source which will manufacture 50 sapphire crystals to the exact same measurements as the OEM with clear AR on the bottom. To best of my knowledge the original does not have AR. Mildly domed on top and flat on the bottom. It is an odd sized crystal and it does not exists as a standard size.

I am trying to gauge the interest if I get them manufactured what the interest would be.

This is where I get concerned that I am coming across as something that I should put in sales forum, but I am really just trying to see if there is interest.

My primary intent is to get 5 crystals for myself. The guy who mods my watches wants to pick up a few too. All I want to do is recoup my costs on the remaining 40 or so. If you could post or pm if you would be interested, I may go ahead and do it, taking on all the financial risk myself. Costs would be reasonable and likely come in below what one normally pays for a skx007 sapphire crystal.

I am not interested in becoming a vendor and this would be a one time thing. I thought of suggesting a group buy but that sounds like such a hassle and I want to take all the risk and not dump it on others if the whole deal does not work out or something else goes wrong. This is my equivalent of gambling a little in Vegas for a weekend every once and awhile. Reply or PM me.

Sorry moderators, if I am breaking a rule. Delete entry if you must.

bb

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

You've got my vote. I want one badly for mine!
Got your pm too. Will keep you posted on the progress.

I currently have an offer for a minimum production run of 50 and I have interest in about 10. Anyone else interested please let me know.

The price will be around $40 + shipping

There is another channel I am exploring which may do more of a custom by the piece job and if they come through with an offer, I may buy a few as a test run and if the end product is good, I would just refer any interested parties to them directly and not become a middleman.

I have to thank Jay a Motor City Watch works for doing the CAD work to get an engineering spec of the OEM crystal (my watch is in with him when this whole thing looking for sapphire got started) which I have sent out for proposals. Amazing what digging around, a few emails, and a phone call or two can do.

I am a business man but I am more on the professional services side, so its kind of a fresh change to delve into manufacturing and something actually tangible.

I just want to make it clear I am doing this more for the challenge and sport of it and my goal is to break even on the 40 or extra crystals I may end up with.

PM me if interested. No cash outlay from you until I have a deliverable in my hands.

bb

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As an aside, here is the Pepsi version I recently got from Britain. I think it has been recently discontinued and the vendor said they normally do not sell to the US but I somehow got my order through their paypal payment channel and they honored the purchase.

It's on a WJean mesh which I just got today. Thanks WJean!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think the main problem with this project is maintaining the water resistance of the watch. Its a solar in a monocoque case - I dont think that this watch was meant to be opened. There is a single thread in WUS where a member actually opened one of these. Maybe its a good starting point.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I LOVE the Pepsi version of this watch SO much more than the normal version we see for sale in the US. The difference is the better set of hands. Those hands on the plain vanilla diver make me nuts. Can't stand them. If you could email men some info at saltyflytyer AT gmail. DOT Com as to where I could begin to look for pepsi version I'd really appreciate it. And I would go for one or possible two crystals thank you

God Bless,
Liz

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I think the main problem with this project is maintaining the water resistance of the watch. Its a solar in a monocoque case - I dont think that this watch was meant to be opened. There is a single thread in WUS where a member actually opened one of these. Maybe its a good starting point.
WUS does seem to have a bit of a cult following for this watch. I belong but have not posted this on that site my sapphire crystal efforts (yet). I will look for that post you mention.

From what I understand you are right however. It does not sound like it is not as easy to replace this crystal as it is for a Seiko skx007 or other regular cased dive watch.

This is from my watchmaker Jay at MCWW when I asked him about this specific issue a few days ago -

• The crystal is tough to install because it sits in a separate ring, this ring is pressed into the case with yet another gasket, most of the time this gasket is one time use only.
  • you also have to put it back together with no dust on the dial, if there is it has to come apart again and you might need another gasket, and the dial is gloss, the worst kind.
  • And don’t forget to align the chapter ring when you install the crystal or that has to be redone also.
I confess I am more of a checkbook modder than one who actually does the work (down the road when I have more time perhaps) so my solution is leave it up to someone else who can do the work competently and confirm the results with a pressure test.

bb

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I LOVE the Pepsi version of this watch SO much more than the normal version we see for sale in the US. The difference is the better set of hands. Those hands on the plain vanilla diver make me nuts. Can't stand them. If you could email men some info at saltyflytyer AT gmail. DOT Com as to where I could begin to look for pepsi version I'd really appreciate it. And I would go for one or possible two crystals thank you

God Bless,
Liz
The Pepsi version is cool. Hands are the best. Here is my suggestion - Google the model number BN0001-01L and you will see there are some British online vendors who are still selling it. From there you will need to see if you are willing to pay the price + shipping and if they will ship to the US or wherever you live.

I used Hollins & Hollinshead, but as I mentioned earlier they do not sell the US normally, they honored my order since they mistakenly accepted it, and they are now sold out. Beyond that I would keep an eye out for it in various used watch channels.

As an aside, I ordered some items from Citizen USA for another project I have and I was asking the person on the phone if I could get just the hands for the BN001-01L. It sounded like the answer was "No" unless I went through a watchmaker who could order the hands for a repair. Hmm... How could I make that happen... Something to think about.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas on sourcing OEM Citizen hands, please let me know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry everybody as I haven't introduced myself before. I'll do!

I would be interested in two units of the crystal, I've recently bought two for my collection and crystal is really scratched for one and broken for the other.

I will take a time for showing my projects and repairs... you can take a look to my pictures in google+ for ernestgullon, I can't post links still...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts