The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the title says has anybody any idea what the button/pusher shown above the crown is for and how it is used? the watch is an early orient quartz with day/date.

all suggestions welcome

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all your prompt replies.the consensus is day/date adjustment but how,is it a push/push movement that changes day then date?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I dunno. Push it with the tip of a pen and see what happens. Does the crown change anything other than the time?

·
Krusty Olde Pharte
4,744 Posts
If it is like some current day/date Orient automatics, the date is advanced by the crown, and the day of the week is advanced by pushing that button.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Just to be safe, do not change either calendar function when the time is set between 11 pm and 4 am. Am not sure if Citizens suffer the same weakness as Seikos in their calendar works but why take a chance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
many thanks to all for your suggestions.after i posted the query on the forum i emailed orient japan with the query and lo and behold got the following reply by return:

"It seems to be our Orient Quartz model "Orientron Just" which produced in around 1979.
If so, about your question of the button at 2 o'clock position, you can reset and back the second hands at 12 o'clock position to adjust the current time
when you press that button".

so i guess that's the definitive answer and thanks orient for excellent service.
;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it seems the definitive answer was wrong!i just received an email from orient watch to apologise for the error and to confirm the button is for setting the hour hand to a different time zone without altering the seconds or minute hands.
pretty clever for the 70's eh?
hth
8)

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
That is interesting.

Could you kindly list the numbers from the case back and the dial (usually near the 6). Even better would be a picture of the front and back. Extra credit given for a picture of the module. This may be useful for future reference of the same question. Also I am curious about the module used in this watch because usually the hour setting function is associated with highly accurate quartz.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the pic i posted was "borrowed" off the net.i have just pulled the trigger on the watch which is a nos model and will list the numbers etc as soon as it arrives.
hth

·
Registered
152 Posts
I agreed with everybody that posted it was probably for advancing the day. I wouldn't have quessed the hour hand function. That is a very clever and it would be handy to just push the button and change the hour for daylight savings or time-zone crossings without having to stop the second hand or move the minute hand. Just another little feature, but something I could see being very useful.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
as promised here are a couple of(sellers) pics of the nos orient quartz i recently posted a query about.

the numbers around the bottom of the dial are difficult to make out even with a loupe but look to me like:japan-x54911058-904.the case back has the ref:
9549105-80CA.
the pics unfortunately don't show the black fluted dial to it's best.i wil get around to taking my own pics soon.
can anybody suggest what the logo above the six marker might mean?
it has a very slim case and all in all i'm very pleased with it and the timekeeping is spot on.
;)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
ORIENT has been becoming a very interesting area other then Seiko. I bought a 1969 CronAce that I have fallen in love with. She is away being rebuilt, I love the Case Style

of this Model, and there was a Post a few months back by one of you, showing Three Vintage Orients, each one was a First See.

I Have never been moved by New Orients, although have had great respect for much I have Read , and those of you that Cherish them.

But I have very few Newer Seikos , The Vintage Orients have opened a New Door, Like I needed one opened, after what SEIKO did to me. LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts