The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure why, but I'm in love with this one. Despite having the wrong case back, and some seriouse patina, I just keep pondering what it could be. I'm not really good with spotting AM hands, but everything looks legit to me. It is weird that both the dial text areas are missing, but I see a lot of evidence that it's a legit proof dial. Maybe the notched case has me hooked. I have messaged the seller about some movement pictures, that may be the end of this love affair considering the signs of moisture inclusion. It's also possible that I just offed a project to John and he knocked it out of the park, leaving me with some funds for future purchases and a lot of sellers remorse. Anyways here are two pics, let me know what you all think. Am I nuts? Thanks you all for your opinions, I really do appreciate this forum and it's great members
Screenshot_20210406-194558.png
Screenshot_20210406-194704.png

·
Craftsman
3,878 Posts
It's hard to tell from the photo but reguardless of what the winding bridge indicates, It's a "B" movement in a watch that should have an "A" movement.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seller stated that it was an A movement. I don't think he's lying, just doesn't know what to look for. Without you guys I'd wouldn't know either, I'm still trying to learn from everyone.

·
Ultimate Collector
3,261 Posts
Well, it would have to be cheap, and I wouldn't spend any money on it.
I would put it in the drawer and wait for a battered watch with a good dial to turn up.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Unless you are buying it from this forum, most sellers know nothing they can't quickly Google when asked a question.

I'm getting bored asking questions and hearing the lies.

That one is far gone.
So unless you want a dumpster fire, at any price that one isn't super appealing based on my personal criteria.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. I am starting to fall out of love, and rightfully so. I might take a stab at it for the notched case, but I think when I'm ready I'll look for a Pogue from this forum. I really do love the notched cases though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think the notched case is the only thing that head has going for it

·
Special Member
693 Posts
I think the notched case is the only thing that head has going for it

That‘s unnecessarily harsh ... the two-piece sweep hand is also worth a few bucks 😉

Seriously, this one is pretty sketchy. When I first saw it, I thought it was a 6139B movement but couldn’t exactly figure out how they squeezed it in there.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
well i kinda like it too
i have seen much worse for sure
with some work it would look quite nice and u can always add better quality Genuine parts as u find them too
with prices on these stupid right now
you could start with something worse
i know i would buy it for the right price too
stay safe and warm out there
i always have a soft spot for unloved watches
God Bless,John

Reactions: DWK

·
Craftsman
3,878 Posts
Seller stated that it was an A movement. I don't think he's lying, just doesn't know what to look for. Without you guys I'd wouldn't know either, I'm still trying to learn from everyone.
Although the winding bridge appears to show 6139A the dead giveaway that it is a "B" movement is the reset hammer spring. They are different between the two movements and are not interchangeable.

If the price is right it's still a good watch for hard to find parts.

·
Special Member
2,836 Posts
Although the winding bridge appears to show 6139A the dead giveaway that it is a "B" movement is the reset hammer spring. They are different between the two movements and are not interchangeable.

If the price is right it's still a good watch for hard to find parts.
Tom, wouldn’t a “B” movement in an original case also be a clearance problem for the rotor?

Otherwise I don’t see much value here either other than the movement and the hands and crown. The case looks polished, no original bracelet, and the dial is a horrible mess. I know PROOF dials are going for more money these days, but to get this one running you are looking at a lot of outlay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
32,626 Posts
As I said earlier depending on price I would buy it for spares but it would cost a fair bit to get it up and running and IMO you would still have a real dog which I would be embarrassed to wear, but I wouldn't be embarrassed as I would never wear it :)

·
Special Member
2,804 Posts
I like it. But not as much as I liked this 6005 upon which I got outbid today (£390 = $540)

View attachment 469609
This one has seen some serious moisture! Ruined the subdial. Even evident around the day/date window. I can only imagine what's happening under the hood. Dodged the bullet I think.

Rob

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I couldn't help myself. I had to save this one. Got a good price. I'm going to start looking for a dial and bezel. Already have a donor movement if necessary. The case has been polished, but I think it can be brought back by the right person. It may be a long road, but like I said, for some reason, this one was just calling, nay, pleading for me to save it.

·
Special Member
2,836 Posts
Well, I couldn't help myself. I had to save this one. Got a good price. I'm going to start looking for a dial and bezel. Already have a donor movement if necessary. The case has been polished, but I think it can be brought back by the right person. It may be a long road, but like I said, for some reason, this one was just calling, nay, pleading for me to save it.
Well, let’s see some dial photos when you get it in!

·
Craftsman
3,878 Posts
Tom, wouldn’t a “B” movement in an original case also be a clearance problem for the rotor?

Otherwise I don’t see much value here either other than the movement and the hands and crown. The case looks polished, no original bracelet, and the dial is a horrible mess. I know PROOF dials are going for more money these days, but to get this one running you are looking at a lot of outlay.

After taking a few movement comparison measurements for another member it's the "A" movement that is taller then the "B" movement. It's taller by .5mm.

Therefore a "B" movement will work in an early "A" movement case + case back but an "A" movement will have rotor clearance issues in a later "B" case + case back.

It's also appears that the difference is actually with the case back having a deeper pocket to accommodate the taller "A" movement so the cases themselves are probably interchangeable.

Of course, there's always room for error............:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I‘m not clear - which is the one you one you’ve decided to rescue?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts