The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This time a Citizen Quartz 7 made in October 1982.
This watch originated in Israel and again was bought as a non worker that had 20+ years of detritus in the bracelet. A clean up and battery change resulted in this rather nice working watch. :cool: (sadly the mineral crystal has some scratches and replacement square Citizen crystals are rarer than rocking horse droppings :()

The 'interesting' bit is the dedication engraved on the bracelet clasp, would love to know what it says, obviously a presentation for 10 years service somewhere, anyone on here able to read Hebrew? :confused:

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is rather nice though :)
I have toyed with replacing the bracelet clasp with an identical spare plain one, but feel, at the moment, that the engraved clasp is part of the history of the watch and should stay with it. :cool:

·
"The Prospector"
4,691 Posts
I think so too, i'm a kind of if its 'original to the watch then leave it' OCD kind of guy, oh btw cant speak hebrew, but fluent in gibberish, as this post shows :)

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think so too, i'm a kind of if its 'original to the watch then leave it' OCD kind of guy, oh btw cant speak hebrew, but fluent in gibberish, as this post shows :)
I've done a little research and it would appear that the top line, that looks completely different, is in 'cursive' or written Hebrew script while the rest of the dedication is in printed script, but that's about all that I could determine, other than that Hebrew is written from right to left. :(

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As a post script to this, to anyone interested, I spent another hour or so on the Hebrew dedication this evening and managed to translate about 80% of it. :cool:
The cursive script at the top is the name of the recipient, 'Michael Michaeli'.
The first line of the main script reads 'decade labour' which I take to mean '10 years service' which fits in with the dates at the bottom.
The first part of the lower line has got me stumpped, but the last word is 'fortune'.
Interestingly I have found one 'Michael Michaeli', currently the Director, Engines division at Israel Aerospace Industries, who coincidentally completed his university education at 'Technion - Israel Institute of Technology' in 1972 and then I presume started his working life. I wonder if this was his 10 years service watch? :eek:
Don't you just love the internet!

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
well that is a great find..i have got quite a few from Isreal

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
As a post script to this, to anyone interested, I spent another hour or so on the Hebrew dedication this evening and managed to translate about 80% of it. :cool:
The first line of the main script reads 'decade labour' which I take to mean '10 years service' which fits in with the dates at the bottom.
The first part of the lower line has got me stumpped, but the last word is 'fortune'.
Interestingly I have found one 'Michael Michaeli', currently the Director, Engines division at Israel Aerospace Industries, who coincidentally completed his university education at 'Technion - Israel Institute of Technology' in 1972 and then I presume started his working life. I wonder if this was his 10 years service watch? :eek:

hey you should try and contact him...you might get a great story about it...

·
Registered
2,100 Posts

Might be worth getting in touch with him on LinkedIn, etc.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right translation
To Michael Michaeli
For ten years of service at the phosphates factory in the Negev (located in the south of Israel
Cheers for that, right translation, but probably wrong Michael Michaeli then. Someone who has just completed a university education in aeronautical engineering is unlikely to have spent 10 years working in a phosphates factory, oh well it was a long shot. :undecided:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts