The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:s_hi: Seikomaniacs,

I like Seiko's simple handwinders and have had quite a few to date, all of them being 66/6602 cals. Then a couple of weeks ago whilst cruising Ebay I was to chance upon a 63 cal. handwinder that peaked my interest. Not had one before so to satisfy curiosity went for it. Looked pretty grotty so only cost me £3.

As can be seen it was missing the crystal, bezel and hands and the dial had a little damage.

This is the part that interested me though, in my eyes it looks like a 6309 cal. without the automatic framework and day/date complications. It was clean and not too bad on the Timegrapher as received.

Nice flat caseback, the whole watch is thin due to the lack of complications.

The watch sat in the drawer for a couple of weeks while a plan was hatched. After a scrummage through the spares I found a bezel that fitted reasonably well and suited the watch head, it was from a bunch if 7123 parts Merritt had given Polly a while back. It pays never to chuck stuff out. A new Sternkreuz acrylic crystal came from Cousins but I did not like the look of it as it was too tall and square and killed the vintage look so an old used acrylic had to be polished up and fitted.

The head was in good condition as received and only needed a little restoration. When Mr L. popped in a couple of weeks ago I was given a handful of bracelets, Dani is a strap type. Anyhow, one had 19mm curved ends and fitted the head perfectly:)

So what to do about the dial and hands? Having made a couple of Seiko based Rolex homages for Mr L. and myself before (I sold mine) I decided to do another so the dial and hands were procured from Yobokies, this was the most expensive part of the project.

I like dress watches and hand winders, they sit so low compared with divers and chronographs.

After servicing the movement, which was dead simple as you may have guessed it it returning some excellent figures, no beat error, -9s/d and almost no positional error. I have another Rolex fake project in the line involving an Alpha Explorer homage.

·
Registered
240 Posts
... mine say hello ...
The 6300 is still lovely, also modded!
Regards from France, Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
With the look of the condition of the original dial you would not suspect the movement would look in that great of condition. Quite the contrary.

I love the mod. Well done. Polly would be proud.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Glad the bracelet was of some use to you Mike. I'm loving my Seikolex too.

BTW, it's a common misconception, due to there being a film called Another Fine Mess that Ollie's "cathphrase" is something like "there's another fine mess......" but it is in fact " Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into".

Us L & H anoraks get quite upset about this sometimes.

Just sayin' :grin:

Some of us even get fanatical about it, putting it in all sorts of places so people know.

The first is a shop in Hornchurch belonging to Ray and Rita, two friends of mine who are even bigger anoraks than me:

[/url]

The second is my number plate, soon to go back on my car (when Mrs L comes round to accepting that it's only a bloody car, and who cares how old the plate makes it look ? :laugh: So, sometime next year probably :grin:)

Back on topic, my Seikolex , (66 based) is one of my favourites.

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
I too have a Seikolex project in the works. Based on the stock Seiko 6309 dial, I have the new Mercedes hands to give it 'the look'.

This thread may just motivate me to get it going !

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad the bracelet was of some use to you Mike. I'm loving my Seikolex too.

BTW, it's a common misconception, due to there being a film called Another Fine Mess that Ollie's "cathphrase" is something like "there's another fine mess......" but it is in fact " Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into".

Us L & H anoraks get quite upset about this sometimes.

Just sayin' :grin:

Some of us even get fanatical about it, putting it in all sorts of places so people know.

The first is a shop in Hornchurch belonging to Ray and Rita, two friends of mine who are even bigger anoraks than me:

[/url]

The second is my number plate, soon to go back on my car (when Mrs L comes round to accepting that it's only a bloody car, and who cares how old the plate makes it look ? :laugh: So, sometime next year probably :grin:)

Back on topic, my Seikolex , (66 based) is one of my favourites.

Bloody L & H anorak:57:

I like all the old black and white stuff the BBC use to put on the TV saturday mornings when I was a kid. That's why I misquoted, my memory aint that good after nearly fifty years. I do wish the TV companies would repeat more old stuff instead of the truly **** modern comedies.

I was looking at your number plate, thinking ? Then oh yes the small print, Mrs L. won't mind:biggrin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts