The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
32,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always fancied a "Arnie" because of the hype and the films, link to Arnie but when I have had them in my hands I have always been disappointed with the small dial/hands and in away I felt they were some what cheap looking so I moved them on but.......................still had the feeling that I wanted one even after getting rid :(

So for a while now been sort of interested and because I fancy making a shroud for one I have been gathering parts(big thanks to David, Alex and Rob/Seikokid).

Been after a dial and hands but no luck, I don't know why I try WTB but for ever the optimist :)

This one sports a new sapphire crystal( I received a nice AR coated crystal for a Arnie today but too late for pictures), a NOS sample case back, a plastic quality after market shroud that was being sold on ebay a while ago which if i remember correct got a real slagging on the forum because it had been painted to get the black colour, I think it is great and a lot better than some of the cheap Aluminium ones I saw being sold.

And finally the innards of a H556-5029 that was sacrificed for the greater good of WISdom, when I showed this to a friend his comment was "Whats that ? looks like a cheap 80s piece of crap" or words to that affect :)

A really old and split GL831 strap.

While taking the pictures my wifes comment was "I like that one" why I said and her reply was "because it's flat " :)

IMO in the flesh it don't look too bad at all :)

Still looking for H558 dial and hands if you know of a set ?

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Nothing wrong with that

Its a watch right John.
It looks good and with a little more" TLC ", it could be better looking and a winner too.
A watch has to start some where if it is a old one
and being taken cared off.

Hey John ........... " TST ..... A Shroud for it ".
Why Not ....

·
Registered
664 Posts
I think it looks great, but I have never seen you wearing a watch with that much WABI ... hmmmm, retirement having a mellowing effect on you ... ?

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
hey i really like it...looks great..

·
Registered
289 Posts
I like it. I messed around with mine when restoring it and used the donor 556 dress watch dial in the case and it actually looked pretty good.

I have a NOS minute hand I got when doing my first Arnie restore, but haven't used it as I've been hoping to find an hour hand as well.

I bought one of armsavers "jumbo" aluminum shrouds for the one I currently have and really like it. Adds some additional visual presence to an already great watch.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi John,
You have given it your own personality.
I am finding that with the custom H558 I am making.
Parts are taking on my personality.
I will be in touch about the shroud.
Spare parts are rare. Finding a beaten H558 for parts they do pop up.
I am in the process of making custom dials at the moment for my H558.
Slowly getting there.
H558 parts to date: Stainless Steel Shroud, movement holder, inner depth gauge ring, bezel insert.
It's been over a year with my custom and it's been a great 1 year.
I am getting close.
Kind regards
Wayne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts