The Watch Site banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally embarked on the restoration of my 6105 8000 and firstly let me heap praise on this fabulous Forum. I joined about 4 weeks ago hoping to learn how to restore the 6105 that had been languishing in my drawer for the last 25 years. In those 4 weeks, through the Forum's resources, I have found where to buy the parts I needed, innumerable tips on how to dismantle it, rework the case and every other aspect that I could have hoped for. There was even enough sage advice to help me understand where to draw the line on what I should do and what I should let the experts do until I get more hands on experience.

So my contribution to the resto is reworking the case, which wasn't too bad but like all watches that have been worn daily for 15 years and subjected to a significant house extension, it wasn't too good either. I found the case rework article in the Watchmaking & Tinkering resource which uses an abrasive block in conjunction with a machine tool to provide the textured finish on the upper surface of the case http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php/topic,14421.msg77552.html#msg77552. I don't have a machine tool so necessity was the mother of invention. I rummaged in my collection of plastic bottle tops and found one (from a phamacuetical bottle) that after some dressing around the thread was a snug press fit onto the crystal retaining ring. This does two things, first it protects the retaining ring and the bezel recess area on the case. Secondly it firmly locates the case on the abrasive block and allows controlled manual rotation of the case, while being pushed down, to provide the uniform abrasive finish required.
I taped the edges of the case to protect them from any unwanted additional scratches from the abrasive.

The hole in the abrasive blocks (I used 120 grit and then 80 grit) was cut manually using a 38mm wood hole saw and then prising out the foam leaving around 8mm in the bottom of the hole for the plastic cap to sit onto. I found this useful as it provides resistance when pushing down on the case so you can adjust the amount of cutting force applied by the abrasive. The only precaution you need to take is wearing gloves to protect your fingers from contact with the abrasive. It's remarkable how quickly it removes skin!

I am really happy with the result.

I hope this helps anyone else thinking of attempting a manual case rework.
;)

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
Very impressive

I've wanted to do this with a polished 6309 case I have, however I dont think the results will be as good. The lugs taper off too much and I dont think the sand paper will score the metal at the very ends of the lugs.

The 6105-8000 case profile is well suited to this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please my variant devices for further processing , but it is difficult to achieve a snug fit - previous versioms of relitable and quality.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts