The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in late January I got this 4633-8059 as a non runner with the back detached:-

As can be seen from the picture it also came with the original documentation :cool:

When I received the watch it became instantly obvious that a new battery was not going to fix it, there was no sign at all of the -ve battery terminal! :eek:hmy:

Fortunately Steff was able to supply a nice new old stock one

When I stripped the circuit block out of the watch I found that the terminal was still there, but more than half of it was missing completely!

I re-assembled the watch with the new contact fitted but sadly it still wouldn't run. The coil appeared to be OK, having the correct resistance, but the circuit block appeared to be dead :(
I looked around for a replacement, and found one but, by the time the shipping was added in the cost was more than I wanted to pay, so the watch got put to one side.

A few weeks later I found another 'broken' 4004 (4633-8039) and purchased that very cheaply.

Well yesterday I thought that I would strip this watch and try the circuit block in the original watch............Eureka it runs!:cool:

As the 'doner' watch requires a new crystal I felt justified in 'borrowing' the circuit block for the first watch, I'm now on the look out for another circuit block and a crystal for the second watch;)
I found a suitable bracelet in my 'stock, and fitted it to the watch and my collection of running 4004's now stands at 7 :cool:

Watch this space for an update on the 4633-8039, when I source the parts.;)

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Nice one John, some of the old 4004's are funky and I like that one. There is something Heath Robinson about these old quartz movements that I find satisfying.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
beautiful find...i like it

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Nice one John, some of the old 4004's are funky and I like that one. There is something Heath Robinson about these old quartz movements that I find satisfying.
Yes the early Seiko quartz watch movements do have a hint of 'cottage industry' about them ;)
The movement as fitted in my 1972 3803-7040 :-

and the later 0903 as fitted in several of my post 1976 watches:-

In comparison the much more professional offering from Citizen as fitted to one of my pre-quartz electronic Cosmotron watches (1971) :cool: :-

The circuit block is built on a ceramic substrate....

·
Administrator
33,293 Posts
Yes the early Seiko quartz watch movements do have a hint of 'cottage industry' about them ;)

I think they look great John (nice work) they look proper compared to such has the 7C43s etc, built to last with quality parts when cost cutting and cheaper manufacturing wasent the B and end all of producing an item :)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Well done John. As you know I like several models of the 4004 series also. I really like the 4633 powered ones. They are very unique and a couple of the 4004's I have are much larger case watches than most of what Seiko was offering at that time besides the diver models. They have a nice chunky case like the diver watches. I hope you find another board to get that other one up on its legs too.

Michael

·
Registered
7 Posts
...resurrected this old discussion to know if anyone recognizes the piece that came out of my 4004 case after a fall. The watch works but I would like to fit the piece

Maybe a dial stud?

And this is the watch... love it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts