The Watch Site banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
Although funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and under the Command and Control of US Navy Operation Deep Freeze the DVDP in Antarctica was Directed by the US National Security Agency (NSA)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Dedicated to All the Brave Men and Women Who Served Their Country at the Bottom of the World. Thank You!

Amen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
First off, thank you bigblueKyle for doing so much research on these watches, without this feed Would have been fishing in the dark when I discovered this DVDP1973 6105-8110 at an estate auction in Colorado last week. The 6105 was already a favorite in my collection, but to grab this one, with such provenance, is supremely special. Overall the watch is battle tested (as it should be) but in really great condition. And after looking at this baby for a couple days I have to say that the dial of my previous 6105 feels semi naked without the DVDP1973 text. Anyway, super fortunate to snag this one, here are some pics.

Cheers
Dan W.

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
Welcome to the SCWF Dan. You certainly have made a grand entrance with your Very First Post. Congratulations on your Seiko 6105-8110 DVDP 1973. The Seiko DVDPs are super rare and yours looks all original and in Fantastic Condition. Amazing that there are still undiscovered DVDPs out there.

This is the only known photograph of a US Rocket Launch from Antarctica's Dry Valleys. Photograph was taken by a Member of an Antarctic Expedition Team from France. According to the US National Science Foundation (NSF) the DVDP launch was a Scientific Research Satellite to measure the Air Density of the Upper Atmosphere ??? ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for having me! Made the decision to go with a new crystal since I will be wearing this watch a lot and I can always throw the old crystal back in there if I’m feeling nostalgic. I’m very happy to report that the dial and lume are really great. When I have a moment (I have my hands full with two kids under three) I’m going to speak with someone at the auction house and see if they know who owned this watch before me, as I would love to know. In the meantime, here are some pics with the new crystal.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Congrats:)very nice find.

Thanks for having me! Made the decision to go with a new crystal since I will be wearing this watch a lot and I can always throw the old crystal back in there if I’m feeling nostalgic. I’m very happy to report that the dial and lume are really great. When I have a moment (I have my hands full with two kids under three) I’m going to speak with someone at the auction house and see if they know who owned this watch before me, as I would love to know. In the meantime, here are some pics with the new crystal.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Such a beautifully preserved and historic watch!
Um, I hope you did remove the movement before you did the crystal replacement?

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
The New Crystal looks Superb! Makes the Dial, Lume, and DVDP Text look Fantastic!

The Hand Set also looks to be in Wonderful Condition and still has the orange color on the Lume Dot of the Sweep Seconds.

Looking closer I can also see that your 6105-8110 DVDP 1973 case has 2 click balls :) Extra Text = Extra Ball ;)

Stunning Watch! Huge Congratulations!

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
538 Posts
just picked up this from the post office

i have been searching for one of these for about 9 yrs. have seen 2 for sale in that time...one was about 6 weeks ago that i missed and this one about 2 weeks ago that i didnt miss :)
there were 100 made

Attachments

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
WoW.... Tom I just don't know how you keep finding the most Amazing Rare Seikos ;)

The JARE 47 Orange Titanium Samurari is one of my favorite watches and I can only dream about finding one some day. Huge Congratulations! And you have the complete kit with box and papers. I have never even seen the box before and the cool knife :) Your JARE47 Samurai looks to be in Very Nice Condition? Also I noticed you have a broken strap - please save the Buckle - is the Buckle a Titanium buckle?

Safety Orange is used by Japan and JARE throughout Antarctica which is one of the many reasons why the JARE47 is such a special watch :)

Congratulations Tom on a Super Rare Watch!

·
Registered
538 Posts
thanks kyle

the pocket knife is a tie pin.....i stopped wearing ties about 20 yrs ago though...so 90s :)
i realised tie pin is a jare 49 though...oh well at least it will go with my jare 49 watch :)

buckle is titanium.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks Kyle. We are both fortunate to own examples of these watches, huh? You have done a significant amount of research as well and I thank you for that!

81 - 100 of 100 Posts