Registered
2,193 Posts
Bravo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
2,761 Posts
Thanks for all the very kind comments!

I believe the Seiko 6105-8110 DVDP 1973 is completely 100% original and unmolested. It looks like the watch was worn very little and came with its original XGL731 strap (watch came with the strap mounted upside down in accordance with proper South Pole Military protocol) ;)

I have found that the Orange dot on a 6105 Sweep Seconds is usually a good indicator of use - the color of the Orange Dot on the DVDP is one of the best of all my 6105s. The only signs of use I could find on the watch are some very light scratches to the original crystal, case, and bezel insert. Normally I would go ahead and install a new Type II crystal but the scratches on the crystal are not very distracting so I decided to keep this one 100% original. 6105 B Movement with Hacking is in pristine condition and starts up as soon as the watch is picked up. The only thing I did was change the gaskets and batten down the hatches.

Anyone have a 6105-8110 DVDP 1971-76 in Mint Condition they want to sell ;) Thanks for watching!

BBK

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
The provenance here is outstanding. Thank you for all your work on this thread.

·
Special Member
2,761 Posts

The Soviet Strategic Rocket Forces launched a total of 139 test flights of the R36Orb 8K67s with 16 failures.

In 1973 18 hardened Silos for R36Orb 8K67 missiles were being prepared near Tyuratam in the Soviet Union. The First Regiment of the missiles were ready to go into service.

Final Testing of the R36Orb 8K67 began in 1973.

December 1973 Launch - Mission Failure - Numerous missile components failed over Antarctica.

March 1974 Launch - Mission Failure - Guidance system failed. Instruments inoperative over Antarctica. After the loss of this missile Soviet Scientists redesigned the guidance system block for the R36Orb.

December 1974 Launch - Mission Failure - Missile exploded over Antarctica.

With increasing "Unexplained Losses" over Antarctica the Soviet Union stopped all test launches of the missile. Soviet Strategic Rocket Forces decided to halt the R36Orb 8K67 program in 1975 and the missiles never went into service. Following the cancellation of the missile program Soviet "Research Stations" in Antarctica were no longer useful and they were slowly abandoned over time.

Abandoned Soviet Research Station Leningradskaya in Antarctica

Abandoned Soviet Missile Silo in Ukraine - This Silo once housed the World's Most Powerful ICBM.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
And I like to believe the providence of God.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Thank YOU all for such a Lesson of this History.Kyle and Mike and many of you for your contributions are they are inspiring. I had no idea of the many twists and turns of what was going on. I think for myself 1964 was when I was most frightened of War. Cuba...
I had just enlisted at 17 and JFK was assassinated. I was on a Destroyer headed to Cuba before I knew what was happening. That we have not yet caused the End of Civilization is the Greatest accomplishment we may ever make. From the moment I found out what was waiting for us in Cuba I have felt my whole life that I have been on Borrowed Time. Thank you all for this Great Post "School has been in Session Today" Its been a Humbling Feeling.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Thank YOU all for such a Lesson of this History.Kyle and Mike and many of you for your contributions are they are inspiring. I had no idea of the many twists and turns of what was going on. I think for myself 1964 was when I was most frightened of War. Cuba...
I had just enlisted at 17 and JFK was assassinated. I was on a Destroyer headed to Cuba before I knew what was happening. That we have not yet caused the End of Civilization is the Greatest accomplishment we may ever make. From the moment I found out what was waiting for us in Cuba I have felt my whole life that I have been on Borrowed Time. Thank you all for this Great Post "School has been in Session Today" Its been a Humbling Feeling.

And thank you for your service!

·
Special Member
2,761 Posts
US Navy Operation Deep Freeze Icebreakers (Left to Right ) USS Burton Island (AGB-1), USS Atka (AGB-3), and USS Glacier (AGB-4) push together to move a huge iceberg to clear a channel leading to McMurdo Station in Antarctica

US Navy Operation Deep Freeze Antarctic Development Squadron Six (VXE-6) Helicopter unloading at the DVDP in Antarctica

·
Registered
549 Posts
hi kyle...this is an amazing thread and that DVDP 6105 is easily the best i have ever seen.

freakin amazing.

thanks for your hard work posting all this stuff. Great to read about the soviet nukes.
USS Glacier is aptly named :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Reminds me of a movie...

Wonderful thread and photos. Super rare Seiko too.
Looking at these photos reminds me of the Antarctica international research station scenes in the 1982 movie "The Thing".
I don't recall the actors wearing any wrist watches though.

·
Registered
284 Posts
A watch comes in handy down there in the summer. The sun does not set for three months. 2am and 2pm look the same, sun just in a different part of the sky. Winter no sun for 3 months, again it all looks the same.

·
Registered
574 Posts
A watch comes in handy down there in the summer. The sun does not set for three months. 2am and 2pm look the same, sun just in a different part of the sky. Winter no sun for 3 months, again it all looks the same.
Would be interesting to see another thread on the highlights of your 13-month extraordinary stint in Antarctica...if ever this would be my only opportunity to hear firsthand (unusual) stories from that continent!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Amazing thread we have here...plenty of extraordinary information...many thanks to all for sharing!

·
Special Member
2,761 Posts
For those interested in the Cold War intrigue behind the Soviet R36Orb I found these recently declassified photos. Both the US Military and Intelligence Agencies were working together to develop a solution to counter this feared weapon.

·
Special Member
2,761 Posts
With the 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11 and the landing of the Man on the Moon there has been a renewed interest in the accomplishments of the US Space Program. Working under cover of the National Science Foundation(NSF) and DVDP US Space Agencies NASA and JPL were in Antarctica beginning in 1971 to track Soviet ICBM Test Missile Launches disguised as "Research Satellites".

61 - 80 of 100 Posts