The Watch Site banner

21 - 40 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
As a huge 6105 fan, that's a new one on me!! Thanks for posting that!!! What a great and rare example. Probably a bargain for a buyer who holds on to it......

·
Special Member
2,690 Posts
There seems to be an interesting "Back Story" emerging about the true nature of the Antarctica Dry Valleys Drilling Project 1973 - it looks like the DVDP Mission was not entirely "Scientific"

In 1961 all major countries signed the Antarctic Treaty which bans Military Activity in the Antarctica Continent. According to the Antarctic Treaty of 1961 military personnel and equipment may only be used for scientific research or any other peaceful purpose (such as delivering supplies) on the continent.

US Air Force C-130 Cargo Planes delivering supplies to Antarctica

Most of the funding for the DVDP 1973 Project came from the US National Science Foundation (NSF). The NSF stated mission is "To promote the progress of science; to advance the national health, prosperity, and welfare; and to secure the national defense."

By the early 1970's Antarctica had become a Cold War Battleground between the US and USSR (Russia). Both the US and Russia had realized the strategic and military importance of Antarctica and numerous "Research Stations" were built throughout the continent. Most were only "Research Stations" in theory but Military Operation Outposts in reality. All Military activity on the continent was specifically banned under the Antarctic Treaty of 1961. The USSR (Russia) opened 2 new "Research" Stations in 1971.

Russian Research Stations Antarctica

In Response to Russia's Increased "Research" Activity in Antarctica the US started the Dry Valleys Drilling Project (DVDP) in 1973.

US Navy Helicopter delivering supplies to DVDP 1973

In Theory the DVDP was funded by and run by the US National Science Foundation but in Reality was Operated by the US Department of Defense and under the Command and Control of the US Navy under Operation Deep Freeze.

Stay Tuned - There is More to Come!

·
Special Member
2,690 Posts
The Dry Valleys Drilling Project DVDP 1973.

In the 1960's the US made a large commitment of its scientific resources to NASA and the Apollo Mission. The Moon landing brought a renewed sense of pride and accomplishment to a nation and unified the United States under a common goal. Many Americans considered The Mission to put a Man on the Moon as the ultimate prize in the Cold War with many claiming the US had won the Cold War.

While the US spent enormous resources on one of Mankind's Greatest Achievements Russia was busy developing Mankind's Greatest Weapon. Russia had different goals in mind other than the Moon and 7 days after American Astronaut Neil Armstrong said the famous words "That's One Small step for Man, One Giant Leap for Mankind" Russia launched an experimental R-36orb Inter Continental Ballistic Missile (ICBM).

Russian R-36orb 8K67 ICBM on Parade in Moscow 1960s

The Russian R-36orb 8K67 was an ICBM developed by Russia in the 1960s that after launch would go into a low Earth orbit and would then de-orbit for an attack. The R-36orb was capable of carrying a nuclear warhead of 5 Megaton Yield (300 x times more powerful than the Atomic Blast at Hiroshima) This was a completely new generation of Thermonuclear ICBM and the R-36orb was light years ahead of its time. All previous ICBM's had a limited range (America's Minuteman ICBM has a range of 5,000 miles) but by placing the missile in low earth orbit the Russian R-36orb had an unlimited range. It could be launched anywhere in the world and strike anywhere in the world.

The first generation R-36 being loaded into a silo

The Russian R-36orb ICBM guidance system was designed to follow a path heading South over Antarctica and the South Pole hitting targets In North America from the South. Based on missile technology that existed at the time and the range of ICBM's most of America's Early Warning Radar Systems were oriented in the North and focused on Missiles going over the Northern Polar Regions. Coming from the opposite direction from the South there would be no Advance Warning.

The world had never seen a weapon with such advanced capability - undetectable, unlimited range, and low orbit delivery system.

On July 27, 1969 - 7 days after the US Landed a Man on the Moon Russia launched a rocket from the Baikonur Cosmodrome Launch Complex in Kazakhstan. Officially Russia declared that the rocket carried a Kosmos Scientific Research Satellite but in reality it was a R-36orb ICBM. After a successful launch the ICBM entered a low earth orbit and then traveled South heading for the South Pole where it was picked up by Russian Monitoring Stations in Antarctica and then further guided toward its target destination. The missile traveled almost entirely around the Earth until it reached its target destination and with a pre-programmed braking maneuver de-orbited. After de-orbiting the missile fired its reverse thrust engines for re-positioning to target. After re-positioning the missile then released its re-entry vehicle (unarmed but capable of carrying a 5 Megaton thermonuclear warhead) and parachuted to the ground. The Missile went completely undetected by all US Early Warning Systems.

While America was still celebrating the landing of a Man on the surface of the Moon Russia had launched an ICBM taking a Southern Route over Antarctica and the South Pole. Russia had an entirely new, fully operational ICBM with devastating First Strike capability. The US Military were Stunned and Panicked. In the event of a full scale nuclear conflict Russia had gained a decisive advantage. As the 1970's started the Cold War moved to the South Pole and Antarctica became the New Battleground.

To Be Continued- America responds by creating the Antarctica Dry Valleys Drilling Project - DVDP1973 and DVDP1971-76

·
Special Member
2,690 Posts
While the US was the first to enter the Nuclear age in 1945 it was not until 4 years later in 1949 that Russia detonated its first Atomic Bomb. Russia was far behind the US in Nuclear Technology and the Nuclear Arms Race had begun. Throughout the Cold War the Military Balance shifted with both Russia and the US developing new technologies to gain an advantage in the event of a Nuclear Conflict. US President John F. Kennedy in his 1961 inaugural address described the U.S. and the Soviet Union "both racing to alter that uncertain balance of terror that stays the hand of mankind's final war"

By 1969 with the successful launch of the newly developed R-36orb ICBM Russia had caught up and then surpassed the Americans. The US needed new technology to be able to track the advanced, newly developed weapons in the Russian Nuclear Arsenal. Now it was the Americans who found themselves behind in the Nuclear Arms Race.

Dry Valleys Drilling Project DVDP 1973

In response to Russia's new threat from Advanced Low Earth Orbit R-36 orb ICBM's the US National Science Foundation created the Antarctica Dry Valleys Drilling Project DVDP 1973. According to the National Science Foundation officially the DVDP was a Scientific Research project to Study the Geology of Antarctica with an "Auxiliary" program affiliated with the Study. The DVDP "Auxiliary" Program was a Highly Classified Mission for the design, development, and construction of an Experimental Early Warning System in Antarctica.

The US National Science Foundation asked the Japanese Government to assist with the Project. Japan responded by creating the Japan Antarctica Research Expedition (JARE 14) DVDP 1973 to study the geology of Antarctica. Scientists from Japan's earlier Antarctica Expeditions were enlisted and along with Top Scientists from Japan's Universities set out on an expedition mapping and studying Antarctica. After an extensive geologic and scientific study the Dry Valleys was selected by JARE as the best location for America"s Experimental Early Warning Radar Station.

Japan Antarctica Research Expedition JARE Dry Valley Drilling Project

Once construction of the DVDP began the US Navy Operation Deep Freeze was responsible for airlifting cargo, supplies, building materials, and special Contractors to build the New Facility.

The Summer of 1973 in Antarctica had one of the mildest summers on record with high temperatures, clear skies, and properly functioning aircraft and construction equipment. Seabees from the US Navy Construction Battalion, Japan JARE Scientists, US Army Corps of Engineers, US Department of Defense Special Contractors, and a Team of Drilling Engineers from New Zealand worked around the clock, 24 hours a day. The Dry Valleys Experimental Tracking Station was completed in only 6 months and became fully operational in 1974. Officially the National Science Foundation classified the Facility as a "Research Station".

No longer did Russia have the advantage of a Surprise Attack with Thermonuclear Ballistic Missiles going over Antarctica and the South Pole undetected. The US and Russia were back to "The Delicate Balance of Terror" and the tenuous peace that existed between the two countries.

The Military Stalemate between Russia and US continues in Antarctica. US C-130 Plane conducting a reconnaissance flight over a Russian "Research Station". In the photo you can see the small Russian Holy Trinity Church - The First Church in Antarctica.

·
Registered
546 Posts
hey big blue...where are you sourcing this info if i may ask?

good stuff and very interesting by the way. makes me want to keep my JAREs even more. have been watching the DVDPs for years

edit - i am sort of expecting the '.....and then i would have to kill you line'

·
Special Member
2,690 Posts
makes me want to keep my JAREs even more. have been watching the DVDPs for years
If anyone has any photos of any other DVDP 6105-8110 or JARE watches please post them. I've been searching (old forum posts, yahoo japan, ebay) and can't seem to find any other photos.

Also looking back at the photos of the one that just sold on eBay I noticed that something is just not right. Does anyone else see it?

·
Special Member
2,690 Posts
I am hoping that the information about the Seiko DVDP adds to our knowledge of the 6105-8110 Diver watches. I find that in the World of Seiko Watches there are always new discoveries waiting to happen and its fascinating (to me at least) to try to dig deeper and uncover the story behind them. The Seiko DVDP Watch and Antarctica's Military History are fairly unknown - perhaps overshadowed a bit by the Vietnam War and the Apocalypse Now connection. I hope that I was able to shed a little new light on this seldom seen watch. Thanks for looking!

US Navy Operation Deep Freeze Task Force Commanders celebrating the completion of a successful Mission in Antarctica 1974

I saw two shooting stars last night
I wished on them but they were only satellites
Is it wrong to wish on space hardware?

Spy vs Spy

·
Special Member
2,690 Posts
Japan Antarctic Research Expedition JARE 49

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-rare-The-49th-Japan-Antarctic-Research-Expedition-Original-Model-watch-/173152287282

This is the last Seiko Samurai SBDA01 Black Dial JARE 49 that I have seen Sold. I have not seen a Seiko SBDA05 Orange Dial JARE 47 for sale in a long time. The last Orange JARE Seiko I saw for sale was back in 2010. I do not closely monitor the auctions or sales sites so I could have easily missed others for sale.

US Navy Operation Deep Freeze Antarctica 1960s

21 - 40 of 100 Posts